Operation Danube - Czechoslovakia 1968

Jim Warford

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55s.

54s have mashroom shaped ventilator cover on the turret rood in front of loader's hatch - that is only reliable ID point, everything else (storage position, bow MG) could be present on both.

55s.

54s have mashroom shaped ventilator cover on the turret rood in front of loader's hatch - that is only reliable ID point, everything else (storage position, bow MG) could be present on both.

Thanks a lot. I was definitely positive that bow machine's existence meant T54 :(

55s.

Both T54s and T55s are present. Tanks 221 and 227 are T54s and while 223 isn't identifiable, it is likely a T54. The two in the bottom picture are T55s.

Thanks a lot. I was definitely positive that bow machine's existence meant T54 :(

T-55 (without suffix) and OT-55 also had fixed bow MG.

Both T54s and T55s are present. Tanks 221 and 227 are T54s and while 223 isn't identifiable, it is likely a T54. The two in the bottom picture are T55s.

Serves me well for only looking at bottom picture... :unsure:

Rare IS-3 based ARV/heavy prime mover

First picture I eve see of this vehicle. I don't even recall reading about it, only about IS-2. IMO It would make more sense to incorporate IS-2T in IS-3 units, and use the chassis of this version for tanks.

• 1 year later...
Ah, the East German NVA is definitely not been in Czechoslovakia

I was going to say that. Apparently some units were positioned closed to the frontier, but never in Czechoslovakia itself.

What is the designation of that engineering vehicle on IS chassis?

Edited by alejandro_

I think the chart makes no distinction between the formations which were drawn up at the Czech borders and actually invaded, so it presumably includes the two NVA divisions which were committed by East Germany, but not given a go by the Soviets because they thought it would look kinda bad if Germans crossed that border again 30 years later.

The joke at the time was

"Why did the Russians invade Czechoslovakia?".

"The Russians entered into Czechoslovakia in response to an invitation".

"And what are they doing in there after all this time?"

"They are still looking for whoever invited them!"