tanknet.org

Weird And Wonderful Afv's

. He very nearly would have become the minister to order a Finnish airliner flying towards the Munich Olympic stadium shot down after the 1972 terror attack, which turned out just in time to be not hijacked but having an avionics failure.

I've never ever heard of this case! Do have any doc's or links on this interesting case?

Edited by CV9030FIN
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

English sources are a bit rare. Here's a contemporary newspaper report:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=336&dat=19720908&id=AiwcAAAAIBAJ&sjid=0VsEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7196,2533348

And a somewhat contradictory book excerpt:

http://books.google.de/books?id=H5l5IChZhkQC&pg=PA278&lpg=PA278&dq=even+more+fitting+given+festival%27s+vulnerability+gut-wrenching+violence&source=bl&ots=-N669ubDHS&sig=qucPUd6bySAQ6t828XLoqh8sO5c&hl=de&sa=X&ei=cF7AUp6XL8fnswbW-IGgDg&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=even%20more%20fitting%20given%20festival%27s%20vulnerability%20gut-wrenching%20violence&f=false

Here's a German media report from 2007 which quotes Leber as stating he came within two or three minutes of ordering the shootdown before the DC-9 with more than a hundred on board radioed air traffic control, saying their avionics including radar had gone out and they were lost, asking permission to land at Munich-Riem.

http://einestages.spiegel.de/static/topicalbumbackground/271/minuten_vor_dem_abschuss.html

VT 1-2 is in Koblenz today. There were also five Gefechtsfeldversuchsträger with dummy guns, but in the end the turretless design was found to have too many drawbacks.

VT 2-2 in Munster? Does it have dummy or live guns on it?

According to the museum catalogue, the Munster vehicle is the Gefechtsfeldversuchsträger GVT 04 the dummy guns of which contain Talissi laser fire simulation devices. These could be supplemented with 20mm cannons mounted on the barrels for sub-calibre fire effect when necessary.

That's a fairly complex looking GUN DISH assy. on that VisMod M108 to ZSU-23-4; I wonder if they pulled one off of a "donated" piece of equipment and welded it on (surely they wouldn't have installed a functional unit...), or if they went to that extent to model the wiring, cabling and other electronic bits there...

I seem to remember reading somewhere that all the equipment had authentic electronic signatures, but its probably US Army equipment modified to create it. i doubt they would go and start picking stuff out the boneyard. It was useful for training purposes, and its not like you could go to Radio Shack for parts.

I'll have to ask a friend if he reverse engineered that system or not. He does radar system testing at GTRI when he's not terrorizing the range safety and environmental officers.

Besides having an obviously fake dish, the M551 based ZSU was a lot more visually realistic. Did it replace the M108 based one or vice versa?

http://2008.uploaded.fresh.co.il/2008/08/08/46279385.jpg

I've also seen a much less realistic M113 (163?) based one which presumably replaced one of the above. I've seen another pic that implies the latter were replaced by unmodified M163s. Perhaps someone who has been to the NTC lately could clarify this?

Georg Leber was Minister from 1972 to 1978, though I wouldn't know he backed any particular projects; a lot of reform went on in that time, including the plans for Heeresstruktur 4, establishment of the Bundeswehr universities, admission of female medical officers, etc.

Leopard 2 ... and the start of the Tornado program. Both to be concluded under Apel - who then claimed the credit for the Leo 2, and got into hot water for the Tornado program's cost overruns.

Anyway, back to topic - the Panther prototype:

This looks like a tank chassis under a dump truck. Maybe one of those high-speed artillery tractors?
Anyone recognize the track style?

In this Thursday, June 27, 2013 photo, a truck hauling dirt rides along a berm set up to contain an approximate 22-acre sinkhole in Bayou Corne, La. Neighbors in the town face a wrenching decision after the sinkhole opened up near their homes: Stay or go? (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)

Edited by X-Files

This looks like a tank chassis under a dump truck. Maybe one of those high-speed artillery tractors?

In this Thursday, June 27, 2013 photo, a truck hauling dirt rides along a berm set up to contain an approximate 22-acre sinkhole in Bayou Corne, La. Neighbors in the town face a wrenching decision after the sinkhole opened up near their homes: Stay or go? (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)

You mean this one? http://www.weather.com/news/22-acre-sinkhole-evacuates-entire-community-20130709

if so there's another shot of it which shows a bandtrack, looks civilian.

120mm FER on the Vextra POLE

FER = Faible Effet de Recul (Low Recoil Effect)

POLE = POrteur LEger (Light Carrier)

AMX-30 DFC : Démonstrateur Furtif à Chenille (Tracked Stealth Demonstrator).

Yeah its a civilian vehicle although it wouldn't surprise me that much if there wasn't some military force using them for some job or other. They can be fitted with all sorts of equipment apart from the standard dump body, including hydraulic tree spades, drilling rigs, access platforms and small augers.

These crawler dumpers are often seen in marshy areas or more sensitive environments like nature reserves etc where they don't rip op the ground as much as their wheeled counterparts do. The tracks are rubber, although some larger ones may also have a steel core; I'll have to check up on that. Various companies produce them now, Morooka, Takeuchi, Hitachi, Yanmar, Kubota and Yamaguichi to name a few. I'm sure there's a few more!

Could the Tsar Tank be considered a prototype or was it just fate that only one was built?

120mm FER on the Vextra POLE

FER = Faible Effet de Recul (Low Recoil Effect)

POLE = POrteur LEger (Light Carrier)

AMX-30 DFC : Démonstrateur Furtif à Chenille (Tracked Stealth Demonstrator).

Man I hate those low-poly count models in 'sims! ;)

Germans had some cool stuff at Normandy. Those are 81mm mortar tubes.

Quite scary indeed, I'd hate to be on the receiving end of a salvo from that vehicle. I'm just wondering how you'd load such a setup? It looks like there might be a rear plate for a loader to stand on just above the small wheel over the right track. But how do you load the front row? Would they be fired in the typical infantry-style mortar fashion or could all tubes fire at once?