Weird And Wonderful Afv's

Mr King

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was sort of hoping they were machine guns. One of my early ideas (not claiming to be the first) on how to stop infantry with a tank was a ton of machine guns. :D

When I first saw it I thought Maxim MG's or something similar. 37mm IG's would be interesting,too.

BTW, Thanks for posting the pics Mr King. They're always something of interest.

I thought it interesting before how the Remote Weapon Station idea has kind of come full circle from what Western and I imagine Soviet designers also, toyed with in the 60's and 70's. I believe the Marder IFV was even originally produced with one over the infantry compartment.

what was the intended purpose? That bleached red looks like a fire fighter vehicle, but why an armoured car for that?

It appears to be a XM-800 Armored Reconnaissance Scout Vehicle. I guess maybe the Air Force tested out one as a possible EOD vehicle?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM800_Armored_Reconnaissance_Scout_Vehicle

X1A2 Light Tank - a modernized Brazilian Stuart tank

C2E17gs.jpg

There is a Stuart somewhere under that?
The running gear comes from Stuart mostly. The rest was newly designed. The running gear was retained because there was replacement parts production in Brazil IIRC. Edited by Panzermann

X1A2 Light Tank - a modernized Brazilian Stuart tank

C2E17gs.jpg

There is a Stuart somewhere under that?
The running gear comes from Stuart mostly. The rest was newly designed. The running gear was retained because there was replacement parts production in Brazil IIRC.

It could be a contender for the AGS as well

I thought it interesting before how the Remote Weapon Station idea has kind of come full circle from what Western and I imagine Soviet designers also, toyed with in the 60's and 70's. I believe the Marder IFV was even originally produced with one over the infantry compartment.

Original Tamiya model of the Marder had it.

Some Mowag Piranhas had one

https://www.flickr.com/photos/massimofoti/4902190368/

and some early Mowag Typhoons had two.

Edited by DougRichards