Weird And Wonderful Afv's

Mr King

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Israelis are good for weird & wonderful because they don't like to throw anything away. Instead, they convert it. Hence all the Sherman-based SPGs & SP mortars, & the Centurions, captured T-55s etc. rebuilt into anything & everything. "It's a chassis. Put something on it."

The Germans in WW2 were much the same with all their captured Czech & French tanks (& the hulls still coming out of the factories).

Yeah, the Israelis had a boatload of T...62s? regunned with M68/L7 105s and re-engined with teledyne diesels. Did they keep those for own use or sell them after re-manufacturing?

I don't think they put Teledyne AVDS-1790s into any of the Tiran 5 (captured T54/55) or Tiran 6 (captured T62). The 1790 won't fit inside one unless the hull is extensively modified. Check out the Egyptian Ramses 2 if you want to see what is required to shoehorn a 1790 into a soviet tank. They regunned the Tiran 5 with the L7 105mm gun but they left the soviet 115mm gun in the Tiran 6. The other main modification of these vehicles was to put a bunch of stowage boxes on the turret to make them look more "Israeli" and less "Soviet" so as to avoid friendly fire incidents.

The Israelis are good for weird & wonderful because they don't like to throw anything away. Instead, they convert it. Hence all the Sherman-based SPGs & SP mortars, & the Centurions, captured T-55s etc. rebuilt into anything & everything. "It's a chassis. Put something on it."

The Germans in WW2 were much the same with all their captured Czech & French tanks (& the hulls still coming out of the factories).

Yeah, the Israelis had a boatload of T...62s? regunned with M68/L7 105s and re-engined with teledyne diesels. Did they keep those for own use or sell them after re-manufacturing?

I don't think they put Teledyne AVDS-1790s into any of the Tiran 5 (captured T54/55) or Tiran 6 (captured T62). The 1790 won't fit inside one unless the hull is extensively modified. Check out the Egyptian Ramses 2 if you want to see what is required to shoehorn a 1790 into a soviet tank. They regunned the Tiran 5 with the L7 105mm gun but they left the soviet 115mm gun in the Tiran 6. The other main modification of these vehicles was to put a bunch of stowage boxes on the turret to make them look more "Israeli" and less "Soviet" so as to avoid friendly fire incidents.

Okay; as quick as I can dig them out this weekend I'll gather up my books and see what they say. I must be crossing my wires on what engines went where and which guns and so forth. Thanks for setting me on the right track (ugg terrible pun, sorry :) )

Really scary;

Land battleship or land submarine? :blink: The use of sloped armour is fairly evident. Looks like Tracklayer CLB75 is written on there. Not sure if it was just a prototype or a few were built, by the company C.L. Best; who would later merge with the Holt Tractor Company to form one of the most familiar names in earthmoving history today, Caterpillar. I honestly had no idea they built such things, although they did construct some machines either for use as a prime mover or to be used directly as the chassis for howitzer use?

Fascinating!

This link http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2012/05/strangest-tanks-in-history-part-2-first.html says it's "Best's Track Machine, Model 75" and that 50 were ordered.

Not so much a prototype then, if the full order was completed. Just seems a little strange that in the books covering Caterpillar's history which I have in my small collection, there's no mention of these vehicles. The Best 75 certainly, but not an armoured and armed version for use in what appears to be used for infantry support and/or breakthrough operations? It'd be nice to think there was a preserved example out there somewhere!

Not so much a weird AFV as it is a weird use or re-appropriation of AFVs.

The display is part of Hezbollahs war-museum in Southern Lebanon.

No it isn't and no its not.

It is in Beirut, inside army headquarters.

It is a peace monument by an artist named 'Arman'.

There is an underground museum with a collection of guns next to it and a bunch of recoiless rifles on top.

I've been there.

Finnish VK

Why did you have to dig up pic find this worthless POS...

It's kinda cute. Reminds me of this: :)

Thats not bad. Cute really. Hey it would good to have when the Zombies attack. No I haven't been cathing up on the The Walking Dead. :D

Well, if the zombie attack is the criteria then that just might be a good idea. It's top speed is something like 28 km/h and it has no suspension so zombies sufling after that then it just might do long as it can stay on the road. As for other apocalyptic scenarios it was made of off the shelf parts that were aviable from domestic manufacturers...

Well, if the zombie attack is the criteria then that just might be a good idea. It's top speed is something like 28 km/h and it has no suspension so zombies sufling after that then it just might do long as it can stay on the road. As for other apocalyptic scenarios it was made of off the shelf parts that were aviable from domestic manufacturers...

No suspension? Would that mean no off-road ability? Ok I have to look this up. What is its name? I tried Finnish VK but got nowhere.

Edited by Edmund

Sparky approves:

The Philippine Army will acquire 14 M113 armored personnel carriers in 2015 to boost its fire support capabilities. Army spokesperson Capt. Anthony Bacus said the M113 vehicles will be fitted with 76-mm turrets among others from decommissioned British-made Scorpion combat vehicle reconnaissance (tracked) units.

"The vehicle will be equipped with modern fire control and thermal imaging equipment. Once it is completed, the 76mm cannon armed M113s will be quite lethal," Bacus added.

The Army of Philippine is currently operating over 100 M113 units, and the would-be acquisitions are manufactured by BAE Systems Land and Armaments.

http://www.armyrecognition.com/january_2014_global_defense_security_news_industry/army_philippine_to_acquire_m113_armoured_personnel_carrier_fitted_with_76mm_scorpion_turret_0801143.html