This Sounds Weird; Army War College Erasing Lee & Jackson?

one of my leaders looked outside his new office location and simply decided to change the look of the hallway.

What, pray, is a "leader" - it's not a military rank or appointment that I recognise. Obviously, though, as a "leader" he can, off his own bat, rearrange the look of an area of the Army War College as he wishes.

The term "leader" is often used derisively to designate a superior officer as in "guess what our leader wants today?".

Back when I was in the US Army, I retired in 1997, leader was being used to designate a soldier that is in a leadership position from a "supervisor" which is a term that is used to describe someone at WalMart or McDonalds, etc. There are Fire Team Leaders, Squad Leaders, and Platoon Leaders.

Mike

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the following lines it reads like he wants to sort the accumulated random mess that the hallways seem to be. Probably he will sort it chronologically.

I think that is boring. Imho having all the artwork in its naturally grown randomness along the hallways has a quality to itself by contrasting the past with the now or near past. But then I am not in the US Army nor at its war college. ;)

And your comment proves that no matter what is done, someone will be unhappy! :-)

What they need to do is digitize the paintings and create a curated, 3D virtual interactive hallway experiential platform, with an SDK to enable Google Glass integration.

As for leaders vs commanders etc., like it or not the world has replaced engineering with jargoneering. Organizations no longer have expense management, they have spend management (when are the jargoneers going to replace the 3-syllable word "management" with something shorter and easier to tweet?). Capital expenditures have been replaced by CapEx. Don't worry, "leader" will go out of fashion (sounds kind of top-down, doesn't it?). Ten years from now they will be termed "facilitators".

My favorite granule of stupidity is the replacement of "student" with "learner". Apparently "student" puts the onus of work (studying) on the learner, whereas "learner" nicely vaguizes the knowledge processing mechanism.

Has attended Militaerische Fuehrernachwuchs?

My greater fear is that this forms part of the warrior/gunfighter lingo that replaced standard military terminology. The troops or students are the warriors, the leaders are some sort of samurai, dedicated to their master, in this case a commandant of AWC. He did say, 'one of my leaders' didn't he? So, we must also have his AWC, not the army's, and so forth.

At worst case it's just informal chatter but shows lack of precision, maybe some haughtiness. Was the leader in question a department head or one of the tenured faculty? There is a certain arrogance of power to sweep all the pics way in favor of some whimsy.

This one does make me shiver a bit:

I also must tell you that I am in the midst of planning a more meaningful approach to the imagery and artwork that currently adorn the public areas on the three primary floors of The War College. There will be change:

It may well be that this guy will no longer resemble the major BP once knew. It happens so much.

Ken,

What does BP mean? British Petroleum? Can't be that. . Battle Position?? Doesn't fit.

Mike

My greater fear is that this forms part of the warrior/gunfighter lingo that replaced standard military terminology. The troops or students are the warriors, the leaders are some sort of samurai, dedicated to their master, in this case a commandant of AWC. He did say, 'one of my leaders' didn't he? So, we must also have his AWC, not the army's, and so forth.

At worst case it's just informal chatter but shows lack of precision, maybe some haughtiness. Was the leader in question a department head or one of the tenured faculty? There is a certain arrogance of power to sweep all the pics way in favor of some whimsy.

I also must tell you that I am in the midst of planning a more meaningful approach to the imagery and artwork that currently adorn the public areas on the three primary floors of The War College. There will be change:

It may well be that this guy will no longer resemble the major BP once knew. It happens so much.

Ken,

What does BP mean? British Petroleum? Can't be that. . Battle Position?? Doesn't fit.

Mike

See Post #45 (he's a TankNetter!)

Now that I under what "major BP" means. . .It is my understanding from guys that know the Commandant and those that work under him, that he is straight shooter and a great guy to work with and for. I was just at Carlisle Barracks yesterday and my buddy just briefed him this past week on some work his section is doing and he has no complaints about the guy in any way shape or form.

Mike

one of my leaders looked outside his new office location and simply decided to change the look of the hallway.

What, pray, is a "leader" - it's not a military rank or appointment that I recognise. Obviously, though, as a "leader" he can, off his own bat, rearrange the look of an area of the Army War College as he wishes.

But he never went to any "War College"!

Ken,

Mike

See Post #45 (he's a TankNetter!)

That guy is a dick. Does he still post here?

Don't know, if I can remember I will ask, going to Carlisle Barracks today for a visit. Now, to start a shit storm, the problem is in the North most people would have difficulty placing the war in the correct century if they even remember that there was such a war. In the South, well they are still fighting the war and reliving "Pickett's Charge" on a weekly if not daily basis!! I was introduced to a poem, not too long ago, about the "High Water Mark of the Confederacy" or something like that, amazing!!

Mike

As an expatriate Texan and Civil War buff, I agree with your assessment of most northerners, but would argue that the same circumstances prevail among many in the south as well, since history hasn't really been taught seriously in most of the USA, at least below college level, for many a long year now. There are exceptions; most of the ACW reenactors that I fought my "war" with were very well versed, indeed, on both sides.

As for reliving Pickett's Charge, well...not me. Fredericksburg, maybe, or Chancellorsville, or, for real enthusiasts, Val Verde. I admit to being something of a historical pervert, with a deep and lasting appreciation of the Army of Tennessee's performance and/or ordeal at Franklin. I have been to that field more times than any other, and am haunted by it. Somehow, I find that battle to be one of the truest pictures of the Confederacy.