British Equipment And Generals Suck, Part Deux.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, she really is great isnt she?

She does a great series on exposing historical myths, the one she did on the Glorious Revolution was a real eye opener. As was the one on American historical myths.

on top of being a top historian, she's also a very good cosplayer.... :-)

• 1 year later...

Ive not read it, but the preview on Kindle seemed interesting enough.

There is also another one on British secret projects after the second world war till the 1970's, which seems to kick over a lot of ground ive not read before. Looking just now, there seems to be a companion volume from the same author on projects from the 20s to the 40s as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dark-Age-Tanks-Britains-1945-1970-ebook/dp/B089HR6Y15/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=british+tank+project&qid=1595668701&sr=8-1

• 4 weeks later...

Was the rifling twist on the SMLE and the later marks the same or different and did that contribute to more or less accuracy at battle ranges?

I think it stayed the same at 1 turn in 10 inches left hand, but I'm no expert. I have it in my head that for ease of manufacture during wartime some barrels were made with only 2 grooves and that this didn't affect accuracy.

Was the rifling twist on the SMLE and the later marks the same or different and did that contribute to more or less accuracy at battle ranges?

I think it stayed the same at 1 turn in 10 inches left hand, but I'm no expert. I have it in my head that for ease of manufacture during wartime some barrels were made with only 2 grooves and that this didn't affect accuracy.

2 Groves! Wow, and no effect on accuracy. Interesting.

All WW1/WW2 rifles had about same accuracy standards. There are individual rifles more accurate than standards, but those are exceptions.

In Yugoslav post WW1 tests, Mosins were most and Carcanos least accurate, but both would satisfy any countries period accuracy standards (and would also satisfy current US army accuracy standards...)... When someone is talking about "rifle x is so much more accurate than rifle y" - he is talking shit.

All WW1/WW2 rifles had about same accuracy standards. There are individual rifles more accurate than standards, but those are exceptions.

In Yugoslav post WW1 tests, Mosins were most and Carcanos least accurate, but both would satisfy any countries period accuracy standards (and would also satisfy current US army accuracy standards...)... When someone is talking about "rifle x is so much more accurate than rifle y" - he is talking shit.

The rifles are more accurate than the riflemen.

That goes since the age of the first rifled ones.

However there were some differences in practical accuracy, particularly in the bad conditions due the sight design and the range of lowest sight setting.

Edited by bojan

That goes since the age of the first rifled ones.

However there were some differences in practical accuracy, particularly in the bad conditions due the sight design and the range of lowest sight setting.

I would say sight design was likely the biggest factor, some older rifles I have shot have almost unusable sights

• 3 weeks later...