All Things Stealth

Mr King

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From below, the F-35 looks reasonably aerodynamic. The usual pics make it look thick-necked to the point of looking a little "hunchback".

• 3 weeks later...

Back in the day when AAMs sucked, we saw the need for a true interceptor as well as interceptor/bombers. As technology improved, our design philosophy reverted from interceptors to dogfighters; ironically, by the time that reversion was complete AAMs were pretty damned deadly. The munitions are ready and capable now, budgets aside it would be very nice to have a big supercruise interceptor/bomber (and really by bomber I mean ground/surface attack by PGMs and ASMs).

CONUS hopefully doesn't need to fend off the Russkies any more, but such a bird would seemingly be very appealing to Japan, South Korea, Turkey, etc.

So, what're Tanknet's thoughts on the J-20 being some F-111-esque strike aircraft?

It's a realistic and scary threat to USN carriers.

It seems a little early in the J-20 development process to label it as such. There are no known statistics on the aircraft; we just know it looks like a low RCS design and is a larger airframe, implying a long range for a fighter.

On thrust-vectoring nozzles, I remember I met some friends of one of the engineers that were designing them for EFA, in 1988. After 25 years, they are not used yet...

Edited by sunday

Guest Charles

On thrust-vectoring nozzles, I remember I met some friends of one of the engineers that were designing them for EFA, in 1988. After 25 years, they are not used yet...

With the aforementioned new Gen of AAM's, does thrust vectoring bring much to the table?.

I believe with G suits and forced airbreathing, most pilots can handle around 9G's. Modern AAM's can do considerably more.

Maybe once the A/C are in the Merge, using cannon; thrust vectoring might come in handy.

Charles