Good Old Fashioned Tank P*rn

Mr King

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok I know they are not tanks. But all those BRDM's going to waste. Shame. They should have sold them to US commuters for rush hour.

Get out of my way or I'll give you cancer? ;)

Wouldn't a quick wash take care to radiation? If not I guess a special drivers outfit would be needed.

If they were irradiated with neutrons, not, as some steels contain cobalt, for instance, and neutron irradiation of natural cobalt 59 produces cobalt 60, a highly radioactive isotope with a half life of about 5 years. A wash would not do anything in that case.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron_activation

Ok. So a half-life of 5 years means they are safe in ten? Twelve to be sure. So by now they should be ok right? Chernobyl was almost twenty years ago.

Half-life of 5 years means that an initial radiation level (or whatever you have for that matter) of say 1000 units will be half that - 500 - after 5 years, then 250 after another 5 years, than 125 after another 5 years, and so on.

Half-life of 5 years means that an initial radiation level (or whatever you have for that matter) of say 1000 units will be half that - 500 - after 5 years, then 250 after another 5 years, than 125 after another 5 years, and so on.

And the resulting isotopes from the radioactive decay are often radioactive themselves with differing half-life. So it is still dangerous.

Edited by Panzermann

I see. A few more years then. Seems that they should just say it isn't safe for 30 or 50 years versus the half-life thing. THanks guys. Keep the pictures coming. I will refrain from drooling over having a tank or whatever. I was sure those BRDM's would be affordable.

Well you might be able to get away with it: http://www.raeme.info/ops.php?op=armd&item=3

But if the Soviet Union, with its shall we say slightly more relaxed attitude toward health and safety, saw fit to dump the vehicles rather than reuse them ...

Well you might be able to get away with it: http://www.raeme.info/ops.php?op=armd&item=3

But if the Soviet Union, with its shall we say slightly more relaxed attitude toward health and safety, saw fit to dump the vehicles rather than reuse them ...

It is easier to park all the contaminated equipment instead of cleaning it thoroughly. And where to store them for years safely so that the it does not rot? I think it was the easiest way to just park all the stuff and forget about it. It's not like it adds substabtially to the contamination of the containment zone.

Edited by Panzermann

And the resulting isotopes from the radioactive decay are often radioactive themselves with differing half-life. So it is still dangerous.

Afaik that doesn't realy matter because in practice other isotopes are always present so when it comes to the half life they determine the radiating isotope by measuring how fast the radiation level drops. Or at least i haven't heard of anyone telling "we need to be out of here by XX:XX because the next isotope is about to kick-in and it is realy nasty one".

It is easier to park all the contaminated equipment instead of cleaning it thoroughly. And where to store them for years safely so that the it does not rot? I think it was the easiest way to just park all the stuff and forget about it. It's not like it adds substabtially to the contamination of the containment zone.

I guess it was easier. A shame for them to be abandoned. Of course they had a bunch of them in service.

• 1 month later...

Whats with that thing above the commander's sight on the Puma? Some sort of training device?

That is another sight. It is turned towards the rear of the turret in that photo.

Edited by Mr King