Good Old Fashioned Tank P*rn

Mr King

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why use Leo-1 hull when own T-72 hull is better...

Edited by bojan

That old pic of the Leo I/T-72 hybrid reminded me of an old legend from years ago... Like the French Panthers in Indochina (confirmed untrue), and the T-64s in Angola (confirmed true), the still un-resolved legend of an Italian-built Leo I being used in combat during the fighting in the Ogaden War (1977-1978), between Somalia and Ethiopia, comes to mind. It was reported by a few reliable sources back in the day including the old and excellent magazine, Armies & Weapons. Reportedly, this action had a key role in the decision in Italy to develop their own special version of the Leo I known as the Lion (see below)...modified specifically for operations "in hot climates and desert regions." KP88UCG.jpg       

The Leo1's hull is undoubtedly highly reliable. You couldn't have done anything wrong.  But the idea is still completely pointless. And the T-72 has proven to be pretty sturdy and reliable too. 

But, this is not easy to compare under the conditions of war.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2021 at 6:17 PM, Tim Sielbeck said:

Curiosity question. It appears the Nashorn would have been effective on the steppes. Was this the case? My understanding is that the Nashorn had very good gun sights?

On 2/2/2021 at 4:39 AM, Jim Warford said:

That old pic of the Leo I/T-72 hybrid reminded me of an old legend from years ago... Like the French Panthers in Indochina (confirmed untrue), and the T-64s in Angola (confirmed true), the still un-resolved legend of an Italian-built Leo I being used in combat during the fighting in the Ogaden War (1977-1978), between Somalia and Ethiopia, comes to mind. It was reported by a few reliable sources back in the day including the old and excellent magazine, Armies & Weapons. Reportedly, this action had a key role in the decision in Italy to develop their own special version of the Leo I known as the Lion (see below)...modified specifically for operations "in hot climates and desert regions." KP88UCG.jpg       

You missed out the Kitsap County ARVN M47's in Vietnam sport. :)

Sometimes these stories are true. For years during the cold war, there were rumours about the US Army snatching Hind Helicopters, and it actually formed the basis of the Craig Thomas novel 'Winter Hawk'. Then about 10 years ago it was revealed a US Army Helicopter unit had gone into Chad in the 1980's, and recovered an MI25 the Libyans had left during their war there. They were using it for opfor training at Fort Polk for years. Possibly still are.

ebf5590b482a6eb44b7dfa28a39de42b.jpg

Zvezda have decided to upload many of their current and back episodes of 'combat approved' on youtube,with good subtitles and the narrator speaking English (Its unfortunate he sounds like a bit part actor from the Hostel series). Ok, it reminds me in places uncomfortably of Top Gear, and its clearly propaganda lite, but it does have some really good features on Russian Army vehicles. I was watching one episode today on the upgrade program to the T80BV, an an episode on the Boomerang illustrates why the project was delayed 2 or 3 years whilst they widened the dismount compartment. It really was horribly cramped.

On 3/3/2021 at 9:13 AM, Rick said:

Curiosity question. It appears the Nashorn would have been effective on the steppes. Was this the case? My understanding is that the Nashorn had very good gun sights?

And rangefinders.

"Good gun sights" is probably most overused and abused term in the discussion of the tanks. :) 

26 minutes ago, bojan said:

"Good gun sights" is probably most overused and abused term in the discussion of the tanks. :) 

From this ex-sailor, I always thought "overused and abused" referred to Tiger tanks.