Good Old Fashioned Tank P*rn

Mr King

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sherman in Novi Sad, that exact tank was used as Clint Eastwood's tank in Kelly's Heroes.

As for a paintjob, at least it is gonna protect it. :)

Great pic of an infamous(?) tank! Just for fun, here's a look at maybe the best 25 seconds in the whole movie...

Sherman in Novi Sad, that exact tank was used as Clint Eastwood's tank in Kelly's Heroes.

M4A3E4 IIRC?

Looks awesome, I entirely approve. :)

A friend asked me, is this privately owned, or part of a museum or something?

Edited by Stuart Galbraith

M4A3E4 IIRC?

Looks awesome, I entirely approve. :)

A friend asked me, is this privately owned, or part of a museum or something?

I believe that is one of yours, a Sherman I Firefly by the looks of it.

Edited by DKTanker

No, its got a 76mm. We had to fit a radio externally on the back of the turret in an armoured boxed to make room for it, and we plated over the hull gunners mg to make an ammo bustle.

I found a good link on these some time ago, and annoyingly ive lost it. I seem to recall these were tanks reengineered from US stocks in the US, mainly VVSS spring tanks so the US could transition over fully to HVSS spring tanks.They were all were rebarrelled with 76mm's. Which is the explanation in the film for why they have long barrels, they are really 76mm tanks, not 75mm shermans.

Basically they were for supplying tanks to allies in the early cold war, though I cant remember off the top of my head whether Yugoslavia got them direct, or they were from someone else. Presumably direct. I seem to recall they got US jet aircraft in the same period.

Yeah, I have to admit the first time I saw it, I thought it had started out as a firefly as well.

It doesnt seem to have been a particularly common conversion, so its not surprising its not better known. Id never even heard of them before I chanced on that site. Found it whilst researching the Oddball sherman as a modelling project.

Clint Eastwood didn't have a tank in Kelly's Heroes.

Brainfart for Donald Sutherland :)

It is M4A3E4, post-ww2 refitting of small turret Shermans with 76mm gun. It was used by Yugoslavia and Denmark. India and Pakistan used conversion based on both M4A1 and M4A3. They were acquired by Yugoslavia through MDAP.

Here is a technical data card that was bolted to every tank:

Some of the tanks were rebuilt in Osaka US army depot/arsenal during Korean war, but I am not sure if any that ended in Yugoslavia were.

Edited by bojan

10 tanks and APCs sunk at Sidon, Lebanon to create an underwater place for divers and fish

The guns turned toward Israel to show solidarity with the Palestinian people :blink:

Source

Politicization of the underwater tank park might help it get more visitors, or at least the anti-Israel ones, which otherwise, probably hardly anyone would probably go down and dive. My first thought anyway.

---------------------------------------------

bt-7.jpg