Good Old Fashioned Tank P*rn

maybe not the best thread for this photo, but

Smolensk uspensky cathedral, german photo

Fantastic photo. Now that I think about it, all the many Mk V tanks that can be seen today in the areas occupied by the Germans must have survived the German occupation. I would have thought they would have been melted down for the German war effort right away. And then for the Soviet war effort afterwards. It is interesting that these tanks survived such a desperate struggle.

Amazing. I had no idea.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/know-russia-two-mark-v-tanks.html/3

According to Wikipedia, seven Mk Vs still exist in Russia and Ukraine.

How many were sent to the White Russians to begin with? I've seen pictures of Whippets and Mk B's too.

cceb441fb52441b5d16e9796e0f1752c.jpg

Apparently they only ever sent 2 Medium B's, once of which was used into the 1930's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_Mark_B

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess this was raw footage, before audio overlay. I can hear a film 'crackle'. Watching the driver counter-rotate was an eyeball twister! :wacko: Was rotating the driver's position to the rear standard for going in reverse? Disorientation problems aside, it would simplify the driver's job when actually backing up.

I guess this was raw footage, before audio overlay. I can hear a film 'crackle'. Watching the driver counter-rotate was an eyeball twister! :wacko: Was rotating the driver's position to the rear standard for going in reverse? Disorientation problems aside, it would simplify the driver's job when actually backing up.

Driver always faced in the direction of travel, even in reverse. Driving with the hatch open, at speed, could be hazardous to the driver because his barf would be blown back into his face.

Driver always faced in the direction of travel, even in reverse. Driving with the hatch open, at speed, could be hazardous to the driver because his barf would be blown back into his face.

Point! :P Crew protection would be a good reason to seal the driver's position--buttoned up, the crew likely got sprayed...Still, it would seem the mal de mere wouldn't be as bad heads-up, since the driver would have more visual references to help keep his innards settled.