Good Old Fashioned Tank P*rn

Mr King

11 hours ago, DKTanker said:

Depends on the model of M4.  M4s with the HVSS suspension (example M4A3 (76)E8 shared the same track (23" wide 6" pitch) as the M26, M46, and M47.  The M48s and M60s share the same track (28" wide x 6" pitch), and the M1s have their own track.  So the answer is no, the connecting fixtures, while similar, are not interchangeable except within their respective groupings.

Maybe he means the 'track jacks', which haven't changed much at all between the M4 and M1?

track jack.png

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, Harkonnen said:

Thanks. I mean this device on the photo above.

Thought so. Here's a proposal for a hydraulic track jack from 2012..don't think it went into service, but is shown being used on an M1...some things just don't change.

M1 hydraulic track jack.jpg

41 minutes ago, Harkonnen said:

Thanks. I mean this device on the photo above.

Well, they have changed over time.  Track jacks for the M48/M60s aren't left handed and right handed nor do they have the built in end connector puller.  I don't know that the track jacks for the earlier M4s would physically work on the larger track of later tanks.  They might.  For the M4s with 23" track through the M1, I think it quite possible that the same pair of track jacks could be used to connect all of their tracks.

Why the fuck integrated headlights that weaken armor protection?

Other than "current trend"...

Edited by bojan

I suppose that since they're LEDs, the actual intrusion is so minimal that it doesn't actually create a ballistic hole. At the same time the integration might help reduce the radar signature.

On 9/30/2020 at 1:05 PM, bojan said:

Why the fuck integrated headlights that weaken armor protection?

Other than "current trend"...

They look as if they're directly in front of the tracks, on what is in most other tracked vehicles just a bent piece of sheet metal. It's difficult to see how this compromises the base armour scheme.

2 hours ago, DB said:

They look as if they're directly in front of the tracks, on what is in most other tracked vehicles just a bent piece of sheet metal. It's difficult to see how this compromises the base armour scheme.

Looking at side projection, looks like it is pretty thick piece that has a hole for a headlights. Ofc, it is possible that whole thing is sheet metal...

e74f1e888d5c9e4e42fcd10b3b14bc1f2defada3

Prototype was as you described it, clearly outside armor protection:

Lynx.jpg

Edited by bojan

5 hours ago, Interlinked said:

I've got an open question: did the U.S use concrete hill tracks to rate a tank's slope climbing ability, or did they use a dirt hill? 

Concrete. You want a test that is repeatable, comparable, and verifiable with as few variables as possible 

Dirt? What kind of dirt? 

On 10/8/2020 at 12:29 PM, DKTanker said:

Concrete. You want a test that is repeatable, comparable, and verifiable with as few variables as possible 

Dirt? What kind of dirt? 

Like sand.  The original parkerized USGI Beretta M9 magazines easily passed sand tests in the States, but the unique 'moon dust' of Iraq quickly caused them to fail.

I'm sure the tankers could go for hours about the infinite varieties of mud...

On 10/7/2020 at 1:03 PM, bojan said:

e74f1e888d5c9e4e42fcd10b3b14bc1f2defada3

Prototype was as you described it, clearly outside armor protection:

Lynx.jpg

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but the KF31 Lynx is not the prototype of the KF41 Lynx, but a different vehicle offered at a lower gross vehicle weight & price point.

I am not fully on track with all prototypes and demonstrators shown around. Anyway, point was how headlights were mounted.

If you want to determine whether a tank can make it up a particular gradient, you will want that gradient to stay the same angle for repeatability, especially if you're comparing competing prototypes. Even though I'm sure you could rebuild a dirt slope every time you ran a tank up it, it's not exactly practical.