Nk - Pcs And Artiilery

Companion

So it's like Junma-A, B, C, D etc? And what does Junma mean, simply APC? Edit: accoring to Google translator it means Clipper. ??

The name Junma-Le is written as 준마-ㄹin Korean. Here, "ㄹ" is a 4th letter of Korean alphabet, consonant part. Unless NK assigned some unknown special meaning to this "ㄹ," there very well can be 준마-ㄱ, 준마-ㄴ, and 준마-ㄷ preceding 준마-ㄹ.

The above six wheel APC could be one of those I'm thinking.

Edited by geronimo

103mm SPG mod. 1972 (what 103mm? typo?)

I suppose that must be 130mm.

I had a look at the original text and he wrote "103mm" twice. Unless he made a double typo, maybe there realy IS such a gun. Still it's an odd calibre and maybe he meant 100mm. :wacko: I have this picture of a 100 (or maybe 85mm) anti-tank version of the "323" and so far I couldn't find a designator for it:

So maybe that's the Model 1972? There is indeed also a Model 1975 of 100mm but as far as I know that's the one on the modified ATS-59 chassis (see first "grab screen" in one of my previous posts, #16).

Edited by geronimo

Question: what is "model" in Korean (phonetic spelling). In Russian for example it's "obrazets" and in Chinese "shyh". Thanks.

The word the reporter uses is "nyunshik" nyun means year and shik means "Type." The word comes after the numbers. e.g. 1969 nyunshik

Or alternatively I think you could just use "Type" (shik)

So it's like Junma-A, B, C, D etc? And what does Junma mean, simply APC? Edit: accoring to Google translator it means Clipper. ??

The name Junma-Le is written as 준마-ㄹin Korean. Here, "ㄹ" is a 4th letter of Korean alphabet, consonant part. Unless NK assigned some unknown special meaning to this "ㄹ," there very well can be 준마-ㄱ, 준마-ㄴ, and 준마-ㄷ preceding 준마-ㄹ.

Junma would mean a swift horse. Thoroughbred is similar in meaning also.

103mm SPG mod. 1972 (what 103mm? typo?)

I suppose that must be 130mm.

I had a look at the original text and he wrote "103mm" twice. Unless he made a double typo, maybe there realy IS such a gun. Still it's an odd calibre and maybe he meant 100mm. :wacko: I have this picture of a 100 (or maybe 85mm) anti-tank version of the "323" and so far I couldn't find a designator for it:

So maybe that's the Model 1972? There is indeed also a Model 1975 of 100mm but as far as I know that's the one on the modified ATS-59 chassis (see first "grab screen" in one of my previous posts, #16).

RE: 103mm: I'd like to think that NK is not that much of a lunatic to conjure a completely new gun caliber out of thin air in 1972 when there are many other options available. Most likely the reporter had a faulty note.

As for the correct designators, anyone's guess is as good as mine. As you can see, it is hard enough already to seperate propaganda names, nicknames, and official names from each other.

We could only guess unless someone both knowledgeable and reliable gets a chance to visit that museum. But the article is a good read nevertheless considering the scarcity of NK info.

Muzzle break points to 130mm SM-4-1, no other Soviet arty piece used such MB other the experimental 152mm BL-8/10 gun.

Do they have resources to develop a 130 mm artillery gun by themselves?

It does not need to be a recent development as it could easily be something from the 70's-80's that has not been shown in detail until so far. The 170mm would suggesty they can make their own artillery if so they wish.

\

very interesting, thanks, what translates "Junma-Le"?

Actually I'm not to sure anymore whether this is the SM-4-1. The muzzle brake fits but not the rest of the gun.

Do they have resources to develop a 130 mm artillery gun by themselves?

I'm quite sure they used the M-46 of which they have a big number in service.

Edited by geronimo

• 1 month later...

Ok so here's long awaited second part of NK war museum report. (I know you didn't. Just say you did, lol)

Original article in Korean: http://www.jajuminbo.net/sub_read.html?uid=13215&section=sc38

Is there a 3rd part yet, about the other stuff that is displayed in the museum?

Indeed there are a few more. I'll try to post something this weekend.

I'll have to post on WOTT forum as remaining articles deal no more with tanks. (No afv=No fun by my standard :ph34r: )

\

very interesting, thanks, what translates "Junma-Le"?

As I wrote above, Junma = a swift horse, or a thoroughbred.

"Le" is NK army way of pronouncing "ㄹ" which technically cannot be pronounced in absence of any vowel.

Here is a picture of the triple 370mm recoilless gun referenced earlier. Really curious how that would work and what advantages it would have over a regular MRL or artillery piece. You do have to register though:

http://www.china-defense.com/smf/index.php?topic=672.40

I tried to register but the forum sends message that I'm not allowed to register.

Could you post the picture here?

I tried to register but the forum sends message that I'm not allowed to register.

Could you post the picture here?

Good to see that you're still around :)

Here's a link to the Youtube clip (on MP.net) where the system is shown:

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?209686-The-Unofficial-Korean-People-s-Army-Thread&p=6840132&viewfull=1#post6840132

• 1 year later...
Guest Charles

The glorious People's Republic of North Korea uses T-62 and their own further developments there of. So these are are 115 mm smooth bore cannons.

I was under the impression that The Sunshine State used bottlegged 125mm on their premier tanks.

Charles