World Of Warships

Max H

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the players who seem to be good at CV play (I've seen a few Aerroon and Strangers123 videos where they are utterly lethal), sequencing TB and DB hits to force a Repair use and then an extended burn down is very effective. Of course, you can do the same with sequential TB drops.

Even the good players seem to have to reset both types of drop frequently - seems to be for distance-to-target reasons. I haven't played CV. It seems too "technical" and much less engaging than the alternatives.

There. You can kill a larger ship with a drumroll attack, launch an alfa strike, hit first with 1-2 DBs to get a fire going, enemy panics and hits R, then TBs (because they are slow and vulnerable) which usually won't get an inundation, and a final DB to set another fire.

Works against most carriers and battleships, but you are likely to need another 1/2 strike to finish off depending on RNG. Cruiser are tougher to kill by fire but easier with torps, specially the ruskies. DDs are nearly impossible to hit with DBs, but will die to a single torp strike, provided the driver is distracted.

Time to target is critical, but a compromise between being left to the wolves and being too far. 99% of the players won't do fuck to assist if hunted by the enemy.

Try the Svetlana. ^_^

It's a Czarist St Louis with torpedo's!!! :D

Due to their ultra short range trying to close in for torpedolaunch against any potential target is a suicide run as the ship itself is as combustible as old and very dry newspaper. ^_^

So... someone explain the logic of cyclones to me. You can only engage enemies you see yourself within a very short engagement range yet some ships are specifically designed to engage at range and suffer up close (such as IJN BBs compared to German BBs).

AFK/bots are killing the experience today. One game earlier it was 2xCVs per side but one of ours was AFK. Game over. Just had another where one of our six BBs was AFK/botting and we barely lost (would have likely been a win if he was playing). Is WoWs's report system as worthless as WoT's? Given how prevalent these folks are I'm guessing the system doesn't do much.

Also, I just completed one of those electric-paint-anime-challenges. Is this ship temporary or permanent?

Edit: Along the lines of the first paragraph above the design choices of the game coupled to population quirks on NA leave me with the strong impression there's little reason to play anything but German BBs right now (at mid tiers for sure, though reading the WoWs subreddit it seems this might be true at high tiers as well). Cruisers of all kinds just seem to melt and with CVs a rare sight their AA umbrella for the big ships is a non-factor. Stuff like typhoons and simply all the islands on many maps make it somewhat easy for a German BB to get in close and add what is finally a decent bit of damage from her secondaries (which appears to be their 'trait' rather than any meaningful changes made to secondary mechanics since the launch of the game).

An example of the latter was a game yesterday where I maneuvered in my stock Konig to jump a Nagato coming around an island. When the engagement started we were both at full health and my secondaries were engaging from the start. I took him down to 10k health and would have likely won the engagement if an enemy cruiser didn't show up at the same time and was engaging me for the duration of the fight.

Edit 2: Recent experience seems to reinforce playing just the German BBs. I'm 83% on the Konig but couldn't buy a win on the Karslruhe or Kongo going back to my last stint about 2 weeks ago.

Edited by Skywalkre

It screwed me over in my Kongo. I was maintaining range (about 12km) when it hit, had no idea how it worked, and then started steaming towards the enemy as soon as someone explained them in chat. Never got in range while it was active but when it lifted I now found myself fairly close to an enemy Konig who simply pushed right into me and finished me off up close where I didn't stand much of a chance.

Just an odd mechanic to throw in a game when ships are designed around different roles and said mechanic only favors certain roles.

Yeah, WG has this close range brawling fetish. Cyclones then add in their love of random game changing events I've been on the losing side of a few matches that were swung entirely by the occurrence of a cyclone. for example the red's only remaining ship, a cruiser, was able to cap with impunity because a BB that in clear weather would have easily sunk it or at least broken cap could not close range sufficiently to engage it. We lost not because of the cruiser's skill or the BBs lack of it, the team identified that the cruiser was headed that way and took the correct action, but because the RNG decided we needed a cyclone.

Edited by Harold Jones

Svietlana seems to be a beast. So many guns, so much HE spam, so many fires. I've yet to fire a torpedo with it, though. I still suck with the Pensacola. I've not ground out the upgrades and I'm running a WR of 33%. Get crushed by BB Citadels in every game, from every angle it seems.

I am finding that for most ships the impression I get whilst running them stock tends to spoil them for me somewhat and as a newcomer, plays hell with my averages. I don't like to grind this game in PvE as the cost/benefit for XP versus time isn't great.

Notser explained proper use of the dynamic aiming reticle (Like, how to turn it on!) and as a result my ranged shots are becoming far better. I have the ARP Kirishima, and it seems vastly OP for tier 5. I am very disappointed if I don't have at least one citadel on an enemy BB that I've caught camping with a full broadside at 18-20km before the game has fully begun.

There is also a fairly simple demonstration of armour angling by Flamu in a Nagato against a Colorado tat may be useful.

My SA is still inadequate - I tend to realise that I'm over-exposed when it happens rather than early enough to prevent it from becoming fatal. This is something that I hope will come with time. I do look at the minimap, but interpreting it is a skill I've yet to master. My tactical nous seems to be limited to looking for broadside targets, and reinforcing the stronger side to achieve local superiority, plus the occasional look back to see if the enemy is breaking through for a sneaky base cap (in that mode).

Nevertheless, I'm creeping up the stats and generating notably higher damage as I learn.

Just started using signal flags - I'm beginning to get enough achievements that they're available more frequently.

A couple of questions. There is a 1 year anniversary (non-signal) flag that I can fly. Does it do anything and can I simply fit it to every ship forever? Secondly, When are we going to get sensible descriptions for all the new one-of achievements? "You did it" seems a bit unhelpful. yeah, I know they're one-offs so it maybe doesn't matter, but really, What did I do?

They are not unique in that regard. Ships for the most part isn't terrible, the cyclone thing manages to combine two crap mechanics, near unbreakable stealth and what amounts to stun lock for everything but DDs and CVs.

Edited by Harold Jones

A couple of questions. There is a 1 year anniversary (non-signal) flag that I can fly. Does it do anything and can I simply fit it to every ship forever? Secondly, When are we going to get sensible descriptions for all the new one-of achievements? "You did it" seems a bit unhelpful. yeah, I know they're one-offs so it maybe doesn't matter, but really, What did I do?

You can fly it on any ship forever. It gives no bonuses, it's just a decoration. Part of the anniversary event is getting those 'mysterious' achievements. They purposefully do not tell you how to get them. Proving that obscurity is not security. This thread on the US forum has instructions for getting all ten. http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/94552-solving-the-event-achievements-solved-mostly/ I'm sure there's a similar one on the Euro forums.

To answer my question from above the below link makes it clear in-game reporting does nothing and support is meaningless. So... just another WG title. :glare:

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/96624-the-rise-of-the-machine-some-stories-dont-have-happy-endings/

Edited by Skywalkre

Harold is going to yell at me, but... just had another example of how horrible CV play is right now. :lol:

Buy the 'right' tier 5 CV, the Zuiho, with the sale going on this weekend. Send my lone fighter out to scout and enemy IJN CV's fighter spots me and chases me. Being the smart player that I am I retreat into the company of three friendly tier 6 CAs! Surely his fighters are doomed... right?!

NOPE!

He flies away with 2 fighters alive and mine are toast. Really...? :blink:

No joke, CV play is comically bad right now. Maybe worse than at launch.

Edit: Second game on Zuiho was just as much a joke. I'm out of fighters so park my TBs on top of my ship, constantly moving them so they don't wander off and out of some of the range of my AA (enemy fighters were nearby so no chance to fly them off unnoticed). Enemy engages my TBs, kills them all, and loses zero planes in the process. Give me a break.

Hey, WG... free game design tip for ya. If your players effectively have no choices then the game isn't fun. Actively moving my planes so they're inside all my AA should punish a same tier player dumb enough to fly into it.

This is pathetic...

Edit 2: Went back to US DDs which at low tiers are painfully OP with all the BB captains out there. From my mid-tier experience I know that goes away, especially facing German BBs, so not sure I'll ride that train much longer.

I'm thinking WoWs is just too much beer-and-pretzels with too little depth for my liking. It's not scratching that itch that's been there since I lost interest in WoT.

Edited by Skywalkre

DDs at higher tiers have a lot of fun with the number of BBs in the game. Once the cruisers are dead the DDs have more or less a free hand. US and Russian DDs tend to just park in smoke and he spam any BB in range, the Japanese DDs stay invisible and launch torps. Even German BBs can't kill invisible DDs. They backed out the changes designed to make BBs less popular due to uproar/feedback on PT. So next patch probably won't change things much. They are also changing the British cruisers since they decided that lightly armored, HE spamming, smoke dropping, high rate of fire cruisers were not going to add anything to the game. This will delay the introduction of the new line which means that the BB flood isn't going to diminish any time soon.

What I find annoying is when trying to dodge cruisers in my Dunkerque is that my rear guns are a match for them, but utterly useless unless I close in on them, which is bad due to their torps. I basically have a cruisers worth of armament sitting around watching the show.

The trick is to do a sort of closing in and turn away style when fighting them, which is possible as the Dunk can turn very fast and has the speed of a cruiser. Go towards them while you aim the main battery and then turn away when you have fired it and let the secondaries open up, when the main battery is loaded turn towards them again, rinse and repeat. Very often the main battery will get an instant citadel hit on the cruiser which will partially disable it. Turning away also means you get time to dodge the torps, which will most likely be partially going in the wrong direction since you are already manouvering so much as to make your path unpredictable. This actually work against destroyers aswell.

playing a Borque, my 2 squadron of fighters were cut to pieces in less than 6 seconds by one squadron from the enemy borque. It literally took 3 squadrons to kill one of his

playing a Borque, my 2 squadron of fighters were cut to pieces in less than 6 seconds by one squadron from the enemy borque. It literally took 3 squadrons to kill one of his

Good, captivating design is good and captivating. :glare:

Radar in cruisers is good for that. Also spamming torps into the smoke.

Given the number of BBs in most matches Cruisers that close to radar range generally don't live long, at least I don't when I'm in one. Carrier planes would be useful too, but given the problems with carrier play, having one in a match is a rarity, and having one that knows that he should try to spot those hidden dds is even rarer.