World Of Warships

Max H

I think secondary usefulness is Germans, Japanese, US with the Warspite probably equal to or slightly better than the Japanese at tier 6. But I've had success with US BBS secondaries against DDS that get too close.

With a secondary build, Edinburgh's secondaries are pretty good while Neptune's are absolutely deadly,

Then, you transfer the captain with secondary skills to Minotaur and... Surprise, no secondaries! :D

I was listing BBs only, but I think the Brits have if not the best cruiser secondaries they are close to it. My current British cruiser captain was retrained from the Warspite so he has the secondary skill and it's quite nice, it surprises a lot of people when they kick in and I have gotten a fair number of close quarters experts with the line. If I grind out the Minotaur some day I'll cough up the gold to retrain but given I'm only half way through the Fiji that's not likely to happen any time soon.

Edited by Harold Jones

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you push with BBs rather than being a back of the map camper, I think that a secondary build is essential, regardless. Sure, secondaries are RNG affected, but real guns on real ships have round-to-round dispersion that the basic RNG tries to model. This would be a deathly dull game if there was no dispersion. Clicking to focus on the secondary target and using the upgrade, captain and signal flag options make a real difference for every vessel I've tried them on.

Regarding the bolded bit my understanding from what I was reading last summer was that it's not that straightforward. The devs apparently built the game much different than WoT (where ballistics are basically what you expect) and dispersion can be different between similarly capable ships across nations and even across different range bands for the same ship. This is where my IJN comment came from because I remember either reading testing or a dev comment which stated IJN fire was purposefully more accurate at range. In short - that was their strength. I vaguely recall reading the same regarding German BBs as a whole - that their secondaries were either more accurate, robust, or a combination thereof which made a secondary build viable (where it hadn't been before for BBs).

Also, assuming they have the same training room they did back in beta it'd be fairly easy for someone with same tier BBs across nations to test the secondary capability of each.

The dispersion for the mains really vary depending on which turret, I note that 1 turret will fire 2 rounds tracking beautifully together, the other turret will always have the 2 round diverging. My low tier German BB Captain does not have the 4th level secondary skill yet, but the weight of fire coming from my BB's secondary's on several ships seems way down, including my Dunkuqure which normally does quite well having basically a CL armament in the rear.

Whilst there is very little you can do to counter grotesquely passive play by your team mates, I find that just suggesting a vague strategy at the start of a match helps - at worst people will disagree and at best the sheep will just do what you suggest. Of course, some are without hope - "No, please don't run the passage" in Two Brothers never works but does make you seems smarter to the team mates who aren't suiciding.

There's a few tricks that help when getting focused. The most obvious one is don't present a broadside to your biggest threat axis. If you're confronted by several enemy ships, point the nose pretty much at the one furthest to one side and shoot at the one furthest to the other side. Maybe slow down to half speed once you start hitting - why get closer if you're already doing damage?.

The main thing is recognising when you're in danger of getting over-extended. If you realise that you *are* over-extended, it's already a bit late with a BB.. Use zoom to see where their turrets are pointing so you can turn with lower risk, initiate turns a fraction before they shoot you (so the rudder shift winds up before the turn opens the angle - you can take the hit just before the turn kicks in and hopefully be angled again by the time they shoot again.)

The main way I've found to rack up damage in BBs is to punish CL/CAs that offer a broadside. It's worth waiting for angles to improve rather than firing immediately you get a reload.

It can help to know how to optimise use of your repair and damage control. It's almost never worth stopping a single fire on a BB - it counts as light damage and *all* light damage is repairable. Pay attention to the size of the grey part of your health indicator - don't burn a repair consumable until it's at its maximum size so you get the most benefit from it.

The other one is pay attention to what is about to hit you from the air, and maybe delay using damage control until the wave of attacks is over. The last thing you want is a torpedo hit flooding you when your DC is on cooldown.

Finally - don't ignore destroyers. If you see one at 14km,shift-click to focus your secondaries even though he's out of range. He will be in range soon enough and you may be busy when he appears. React when you see them. Use your main guns against them - no DD likes having 14-16 inch overpens and you might get lucky, especially if they angle. Switch to HE if convenient, but if you've got AP, let rip anyway. yeah, you do have to get use to leading them by about 3 times what you may do for any other ship, but if you don't take the shot, you can't hit them anyway.

I find that many DDs get complacent and predictable in their jinking - quite often they'll turn in as if about to reverse course and then open out again, because they're trying to open their torpedo arcs on a particular side. One they're committed to the turn, nobody's rudder shift is quick enough to entirely avoid a face full of BB love and affection. I find that I get regular hits on DDs at 10k or less - down to the point where your turrets can no longer track fast enough to follow them, at which point you're going to die, probably.

Installed the game again (4th time?). I'm less annoyed when logging in and still not seeing my gold from WoT but I guess that ship has sailed (Get it? Ha... ha... eh... /sigh)

Was tempted to see if that training room mod still existed to test out secondaries but when I logged in I noticed that I didn't even bother going up the USN BB line. Low tiers were garbage at launch and from the dozen or so games I've gotten in the last few days those low tiers still appear to be trash.

Mostly played the tier 5 German BB and the thing is a beast. Given all the terrain on the maps it's usually fairly easy to maneuver and get into secondary range (in several matches said guns have accounted for over 20% of my total damage).

I'm pretty sure I asked this last summer when I played and I'm left with the same impression again - why would you bother playing cruisers, especially at mid tiers? They're little more than target practice. I put in one game in my Cleveland and a lucky shot from a max range BB citadeled me and left me with 25% health the rest of the match (where I was forced to do nothing but hide in back for almost no effect).

DDs seem an iffy move as well at mid tiers given all the German BBs around. Carriers are, like last summer, basically nonexistent.

The campaign and crates are... interesting. While it's appreciated that one can get free stuff (I'm going to try for the Graf Spee) at the same time it's a move, like so many of these games have, that's aimed at getting you to play more and it's easy to get lost in that. I'm a little... bitter about these things because I also went back to playing WoW and they've turned grinding, and disguising it, into an art form.

When opacity and miscomunication becomes an art form:

"The End of Year Marathon will soon start and there are plenty of fresh achievements for you to earn! The twist is that we're not going to tell you how to unlock them!

For fulfilling these secret requirements, you will not only earn the achievements but also receive rewards. On top of this, if an achievement goes gold (after a certain number of people have unlocked it), everyone gets a reward and if you unlock all the achievements, you get a great final prize connected to the last achievement. We really are spoiling you! "

Edited by RETAC21

Ahh... the joy of purely random MM. Won 80% of my games the first two days (helped that I was mostly playing the German BB). Yesterday only won 40%. Had a streak of 4 losses in a row at one point that was infuriating because there was no carrying those teams with how idiotic the players were. When will devs learn to try and group players by similar skill levels?

I will say this - I'm glad WG has kept public profiles (where AW has made them private). Nothing shuts down a mouthbreather faster than pointing out they're pulling a 45% w/r in chat (even sweeter was pointing this out right after he made some comment about 'git gud').

I've been thinking about my wildly varying performance day-to day, and in general I think it comes down to the rest of the player demographic, not me. I can assume that on average I perform to the same level of ability, so extended periods of poor results aren't really down to me under-performing, but are down to the player quality being higher. If your team is stronger, then they "steal" damage from you. If the opposition quality is higher, then they make it harder for you to excel. It's obvious really.

Player quality is strongly influenced by time of day, and day of week. On the EU server, the player base sweeps in from East to West and there are definitely different play styles across the time zones, but also the player style dips significantly when the kids arrive.

When the overall player pool is below average, then I tend to get better results, interspersed with those outliers where your team sucks so hard nothing can save them. This is particularly emphasised if you have a team of potatoes and the opposition shows up with the three-ship division. At low-to-mid tiers (Say 6 or lower), two or three non-potatoes in a division will clean up.

Another annoying day.

Tier spread isn't a huge deal in WoT since you can always load gold rounds to overcome higher tier armor. Nothing like that in WoWs. A Konig (spec'ed for secondary fire) can't do anything against a Scharnhorst. :glare: Given how MM works in this game (apparently rather bizarre with -1/+2 setup for some?) I was reading in the WoWs subreddit that folks like to jump in tier 7s and farm tier 5s. Have had that every game today.

With carriers nonexistent I still see no reason to play a cruiser, especially at mid tiers. Realizing this it's amusing to see players 1) actually still play them and 2) lead the charge as cruisers into caps while in range of a large % of the enemy team. I'd laugh more when they all get killed in the first two minutes if they weren't my teammates so often. :glare:

DB, per what you were saying unless you're in the upper echelon of players you can always improve your play. Still, even the best will lose 1/3 of their games. Along these lines what I've found rather annoying during these bad streaks is that it's so obvious when you're in one of those games where you can't do anything (such as the cruiser example above). In WoT those matches could be over in 3-4m so it's not all that bad. In WoWs you're stuck in that match for upwards of nearly 20m. That's... annoying.

Edited by Skywalkre

Those forward facing tubes are gold as it means you can still launch torps at the target when you are closing in, dodging fire and before you turn to launch the main tubes for a broadside.

Edited by TonyE

WoWs tier spread is +1 through tier 4 and +2 after. This does make life at tier 5 suck because you end up seeing a lot more +2 matches but I've found that most ships can still contribute and have decent games, but some are just screwed beyond hope. The German tier 5 DD wasn't a joy in a tier 7 map since the difference between spotting range and torpedo range was only .5 km, it made it hard to be effective since your guns aren't very useful against tier 7 ships either. Also, the Marblehead is not in great shape on a tier 7 map due to the short range of its guns. I didn't find the German or US BBs all that bad vs Tier 7 although I did fire a bit more HE than I liked.

Tier V BB versus Tier VII anything can definitely be difficult. You have to accept that the Konig is no longer a close range brawler when facing Tier VII, it's a support battleship. Point no more than about 20 degrees off axis and us HE against BBs, but you're really there to keep cruisers and DDs off the big boys. Having 5 turrets means that ripple firing keeps DDs busy unless they're good players and as always, any BB should be prioritising the cruiser deletion service if broadsides are offered.

As time goes by, I'm correlating highs and lows with weekends and evenings versus daytime play respectively. (I'm currently "between jobs".) Hypothesis: Potatoes play more at weekends and in the evenings, thus my relative performance is better.

Annoyingly, although I now have the Graf Spee so I can participate, I don't think I'm going to get through all of Santa's missions before the end of the 18th, Still, I'm expecting to get through the next couple, which means a free Farragut and a free slot as I already have the Budyonny.

It seems that I can't stomach more than about 30 games per day. (!)

The average player in this game has to be the stupidest I've come across. Worse than what I saw in WoT. Worse than I saw in AW. Worse than I see in WoW. Just... so... stupid.

Why the hell would you charge ahead into a cap in a cruiser with no armor and no repair ability? Why do these mouthbreathers feel the need to spread out evenly across a map instead of consolidate and focus fire? This isn't hard and advanced shit to comprehend. It's fucking basics and the NA playerbase simply doesn't get it.

And so 0.6.0 has been released, and there is much reallocation of Commander skills to do.

We've also got some missions that have small numbers of doubloons as rewards (total of 100, spread over 5 missions), which is nice, but I'm fairly burned out after the Santa Convoy grind.

The Radio Position/Direction Finding skill is in. Much whining results.

Yeah, I like all the people freaking out about being 'located' at the beginning of a map. Shocker the enemy knows where we spawn. However I can see how useful it can be late in the game when you are hunting a destroyer. Me and another cruiser hunted down and sunk a DD that prior to the patch would have been able to end run and probably cap us out. Even though you only get a general indication of the target's direction, just knowing which direction to head is a huge help.