The Great Camo Boondoggle

Im reminded of one of the really commendable things McNamara did when he got into office, make sure all the services used a common boot. It defies imagination how much it probably cost beforehand to buy in different types for each service.

In 1960, the US military was something like 2.5M swingin' Richards. Marines were the smallest branch at 170k, Army the largest at 873k. For something that is essentially hand-assembled, I don't think there are big savings for consolidating production or distribution. Lets say a total of 12 sizes, times 4 services, 48 NSNs. How many NSNs involved in retiring, say, the Norfolk class destroyers? And ratings, too; eliminate the Steam Horn De-Scaling Mate, you probably save enough to have all your boots gold-plated.

But there's quite a difference in footwear needs between an Army Ranger and a forklift operator. Same branch, wildly different environment. And then you've got the really oddball outfits, like the Army divers; yes, Army, but operating on wet decks. Or Navy SEALs and UDTs, versus Seabees.

But boots are an extremely interesting topic. The Old School mindset was that your feet had to adapt to what Uncle Sam issued. Now they've got half-sizes, different widths, etc. As of the GWOT, soldiers can go with a number of alternative boots with their ACUs. At some point, the Army and/or Marine Corps will try a boot with some kind of custom footbed, and maybe even semi-custom removable liners. When you think of all the downtime and health care expenses that could possibly be saved, it ought to be looked at.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the folks running equipment in the Navy/Air Force and log side of things should be wearing a standard or limited standard set of COT's Steel or composite toe shoes. Plenty of those in industry to work. My buddy Don who's ex-navy still has his favorite set of boots for this sort of thing that he wears when doing anything heavy that might impinge on toes.

Maybe not the best camo on the left;

US Army uni in the Spanish-American War on the left, WWI on the right. Modern repros worn by reenactors. The hat, though looks pretty darn practical. Beats the hell out of a beret.

How did troops protect their knees when wearing shorts other than being careful wen kneeling and dropping prone? I assume that high socks helped with shins.

I think they were just tougher, mind life on civy street back then was not easy either.

Edited by Colin

Ive never seen the need to develop my impeccable French skills, with all the Croissants I eat I must fit in like a native anyway. :P

Aaah, so is this the Stuart Galbraith school of Finnish and Russian language studies?

Drinking two liters of cheap vodka a day,

keeps the boring glossaries and grammars away,

and makes you both fluent and brave enough to say,

to the huge muscular bully that he's a girlieman gay.

:D

Ive never seen the need to develop my impeccable French skills, with all the Croissants I eat I must fit in like a native anyway. :P

Aaah, so is this the Stuart Galbraith school of Finnish and Russian language studies?

Drinking two liters of cheap vodka a day,

keeps the boring glossaries and grammars away,

and makes you both fluent and brave enough to say,

to the huge muscular bully that he's a girlieman gay.

:D

Wisdom lives here:

I thought the UK's DPM (both woodland and desert patterns) was a quite effective camo. Guess they wanted to jump on the Multicam bandwagon too.

In AFG the terrain changes very fast from green oasis to barren mountain side within foot patrol range. Also the British MoD wanted to go cheap by saving on the number of different uniforms. I have seen the new multicami-ish pattern in Celle. In the green German forests I was, well..., underwhelmed. To light although the cloth was brand new and it will only become lighter with subsequent washings. IMHO

SECNAV, via 'The Early Brief':

'He [sECNAV Ray Mabus] said the “blueberries” -- which is what sailors call their blue cammies -- work only when sailors fall overboard.'

So they're good against sharks, no?

'He [sECNAV Ray Mabus] said the “blueberries” -- which is what sailors call their blue cammies -- work only when sailors fall overboard.'

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2013/06/13/mabus-advocates-cutting-number-of-camo-uniforms.html?ESRC=eb.nl

The Ozzian solution, reflective tape on the naval camo:

Just on that film, I'm pretty sure that footage of inf in shorts and light kit was staged, and probably stock film at that given the helmet flashes (if Australian) were for the 7th Div arty. Which isn't to say they didn't wear shorts in action, it wasn't unknown for them to wear great coats and leather jerkins (turned inside out) for set piece attacks too, it gets a bit nippy in the desert at night.

shane

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2013/06/13/mabus-advocates-cutting-number-of-camo-uniforms.html?ESRC=eb.nl

The Ozzian solution, reflective tape on the naval camo:

And oh boy doesn't it look flash.

It's the perfect solution because people wearing it are both hard to see and easy to see at the same time.

Edit: Just for clarification, if you sort of squint a little bit and lean back you should be able to sort of make out a man hold that rolling pin. It's not a trick shot of a levitating kitchen utensil.

Edited by Coldsteel

Oh look! Look! Our rapid reaction rescue team needs WOODLAND FUCKING CAMO to operate with much efficiency and effectivity during massive flood events in Metro Manila! AND LOOK TOO! They need the PASGT helmets as well! HOLY SHIT I FEEL SO NEKKID AND UNPROTECTED WEARING MY USUAL CIVVIE CLOTHES DURING ADVERSE WEATHER EVENTS IN METRO MANILA! HOLY FUCKING SHIT MAN!

<_<

Aw c'mon guys. You think you have it bad?

Now THIS is service envy-induced camouflage madness.

Holy shit! Our fire fighters need pixelated camo for fire fighting! You don't want those flames finding your firefighters and burning them, right? Right....

<_<

Sillyppines :D

I do love the parade gear of the Rescue Battalion of the Metro Manila Development Authority. :P

Aw c'mon guys. You think you have it bad?

Now THIS is service envy-induced camouflage madness.

Holy shit! Our fire fighters need pixelated camo for fire fighting! You don't want those flames finding your firefighters and burning them, right? Right....

<_<

Wow, that is so stupid it's almost genius, if it wasn't stupid. Hey, why not give aircraft service personnel tarmac-coloured camo uniforms, that way those giant sucking jet engines don't see them?

Pardon my ignorance, but this is something I have wondered for a while now, Why does the US Military not issue fatigues made from Nomex as the standard uniform to anyone who may face combat? Cost? Durability? Both? I know after my brothers unit in Iraq was hit with a napalm VBIED, and they suffered a bad casualty they forbid them to wear Underarmor and gave them Nomex coveralls to wear while on convoy duty.