Tablets

Murph

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forked out for a Samsung Tab 2 for $265. It was a good price and London drugs is easy to deal with for returns. No Bestbuys or Costco's in my area.

10" only played with it a tiny bit as It's a Xmas present for the family. I found the font to small on anything at all and even on the 10" my fattish fingers have trouble tapping.

• 2 months later...

About a year ago I decided I wanted a tablet(as opposed to I needed one) but prices were very high. A 7” Galaxy Tab 2 cost almost 200,-€, a price I was unwilling to pay and the choice of 100,-€ tablets was enormous.

I spend 119,-€ on Acer’s ground breaking Iconia B1. Yes, the display was anything but IPS, the battery was ¼ weaker than in other 7” tablets and it had just 512mb RAM but it worked superbly. So was Acer’s support. I was the first brand name tablet that cost as little as a non-name tablet. I almost returned it for an Odys Genio that looked far better on paper but I found out in time it had hard- and software issues. That should have been a warning to me. Albeit I ignored it.

The 7” display felt too small very quickly and I choose an Odys Noon. Specs like an iPad2 but it cost just 200,- …. and the WIFI reception was horrible and when I reset it before I returned it the display started flickering like an old neon tube. I paid another 100,- for an Acer A210 that works perfectly like the B1, just with a better display.

Then came the Asus HD7. Specs like the 2013 edition of the Nexus 7 but it cost just 149,-. A brilliant little thing. The display is way better than the B1’s and the battery lasts ages! In standby the energy consumption is next to zero. I don’t have to shut it down like the B1, I can leave it in my travel bag for a week and the battery is down less than 10%.

In case one of you guys thinks about getting a tablet:

By the big brand names!!! Acer, Asus, Samsung, Sony, Toshiba, Lenovo too. It is not easy to find which of their tablets is the best for your individual needs but you won’t get junk from them.

Odys, Archos and Trekstor must be avoided at all cost, though that is easy these days, when the gap between no-name and quality 10” tablets has narrowed to less than 50,-€ and in case of Lenovo’s S6000L vanished altogether.

I got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10" which I exchanged for thr 7" with my sister - she travels and prefers the smaller one - and the wife won an Ipad air this Christmas. Ipad wins on user interface, easy to type and use - as it's used mainly by the children, but I am happy with the Samsung.

Our Samsung Tab 2 is a hit with the family, going to take it on my Ottawa trip as my work computer does not have Sype

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like 8" tablets are the new normal size. Google is making one, Samsung, LG, etc.

There's a lot of good one out there and some cost surprisingly little like Acer's A1 but for frequent use at home, I recommed a 9.7 or 10 inch display.

I have a Nexus 7, and I'm not digging it. Not enough screen real estate, and I'm still struggling with the touchpad keyboard. The software apparently thinks I have thumbs the size of hooves. Problem is, its a great size for carrying. A wonderful thing, until I turn it on...

Its unlikely but I am really hoping that the Ubuntu project comes up with a usable kernel and GUI for tablets. Microsoft is comfortable wallowing in their incompetence, and I am just not digging Android. I'm too used to real computers.

I currently rely on an iPad mini (the original, not the retina) and I love it. It was quite an upgrade from my original iPad. Neither is top of the line anymore. The iPad Air is amazing. My wife has it and the build quality, speed, apps and ecosystem are all I could ask for a current tech tablet. The whole line has a great built quality but this model feels so much better because of how solid it is while being so light. I've played with others and if I was going to switch (I don't see it happening) I would pick the Nexus line. The Surface is a bit of a joke sadly.

Anyone using the Samsung 8.4 Pro? Sounds like an awesome screen,

When it comes to HD-displays I'm a sceptic. IMO it is only done to catch up to Apple's Retina displays who in turn were done to distance Apple from the 10" Andriod tablets. We must not forget that the still much appreciated iPad2 has 1024 x 768 and that looks just fine on my brother's iPad.

So why does a much smaller display need twice the resolution? I think the whole HD stuff is done for marketing reasons.

Trust me, as you get older, the HD displays cause much less eye strain. As I get older I want 1920 or even 2560 displays.

Anyone using the Samsung 8.4 Pro? Sounds like an awesome screen,

When it comes to HD-displays I'm a sceptic. IMO it is only done to catch up to Apple's Retina displays who in turn were done to distance Apple from the 10" Andriod tablets. We must not forget that the still much appreciated iPad2 has 1024 x 768 and that looks just fine on my brother's iPad.

So why does a much smaller display need twice the resolution? I think the whole HD stuff is done for marketing reasons.

After a certain threshold adding pixels does nothing to improve the experience. Beyond 300-400 ppi the human eye can't tell the difference. They just serve to tick checkboxes in marketing matrices and to reduce performance and battery life.

The same applies to 4k displays in most tv sizes and normal viewing distances.

Going to "retina" level displays does serve a purpose if you use the tablet for reading. The improved experience from my iPad Mimi to my wife's Air is very worth while. I still won't be upgrading for a whole longer though.

I have a Nexus 7, and I'm not digging it. Not enough screen real estate, and I'm still struggling with the touchpad keyboard. The software apparently thinks I have thumbs the size of hooves. Problem is, its a great size for carrying. A wonderful thing, until I turn it on...

Its unlikely but I am really hoping that the Ubuntu project comes up with a usable kernel and GUI for tablets. Microsoft is comfortable wallowing in their incompetence, and I am just not digging Android. I'm too used to real computers.

The 2nd Gen Nexus 7 is crap. I'm very unhappy with mine. The price is dropping very quickly on ebay.

Really? Wow, Lupe and I love ours. We use them as ebook readers. For serious web surfing, etc I use either the 10" nexus or the iPad.

The 2nd Gen Nexus 7 is crap. I'm very unhappy with mine. The price is dropping very quickly on ebay.