Command: Air/naval Warfare

Sardaukar

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

It's definitely worth it's admittedly steep price.

They are still developing it and there is a healthy community on forum, making user scenarios. Database is updated regularly by requests from community, ditto with new features and bug-fixes.

I have managed to submit my update request for IAF F-15A/B/C/D Baz Meshopar planes, since there is nowadays information about the upgrade. There is kick-ass scenario about IAF air strike to Iran 2014..and I love to edit and play it. :D Drones, ELINT, ECM, Tankers, SEAD strikes with Delilah drones/cruise missiles carried by F-16D Baraks, SEAD patrols by F-16s carrying HARMs, Strikes, with Griffin LGBs, GBU-28 "Deep Throat" etc, Air combat with Python 4s and 5s, AMRAAMS, Sparrows, Derbys...you name it. Oh my! :D

Next week I'm sold! :)

threw is no multilayer or Co op is there?

There is evolving MP/Co-Op campaign available. :D

Check forum for general feel:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1154

and MP campaign system created by community member, called Geoscape/Joint Command:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3464981

This will positively make you salivate! :D

"Geoscape is a multiplayer dynamic campaign for Command. Geoscape will take commands from players and determine when combat needs to be resolved. It then generates Joint Command matches for each theater and then Joint Command in turn generates Command scenarios!

Geoscape is about persistence, units will exist before multiplayer matches and will exist (potentially damaged!) after multiplayer matches. Logistics will also be tracked, weapons will need to be shipped or flown around. "

Edited by Sardaukar

Next week I'm sold! :)

So was I, when I bought it last week. Now I'm not so sure...

While it has potential, be aware that despite the steep price you're getting a very unpolished product. They do look like they have good continuous developer support, and if they continue to make improvements it may reach its true capability, but at the moment I find it has a lot of little bugs and flaws that really detract from my appreciation of it. If I had a chance to try a demo in advance I would probably not have paid this price for it.

That being said, I'm off to try bombing Khark Island again, so please excuse me for rushing off.

Edited by Andrew Jaremkow

This is hardcore, even though surprisingly easy to play. But computations in game definitely are hardcore.

If you liked Harpoon 2, you'll love this.

It has bugs, but support have been excellent and they are planning to continue fixing and expand the game They just squashed one major and few lesser bugs, next build should squash another major one, that is lockup when too many missiles on air. I could usually get past that by reloading autosave, but it can be annoying. Good thing is that they have been releasing new Builds, that is updated/fixed versions, often once a week or so.

There is also a bug about Tanker planes, they seem to crash after giving out too much fuel sometimes (happened to me last game, in my modified Operation Sling of David (attack on Iran) scenario).

In game, you don't have database editor per se. They don't want to get into "database wars" that plagued H2 community. So, they are very careful when adding/modifying stuff and doing it after considering evidence/info/documentation. It's bit pity for "what if"-things, but keeps game "honest".

Edited by Sardaukar

Well, at least it gives them the potential to release 'battlesets' as the creators of harpoon did. I could see a lot of potential for historic sets for something like this, ie cuban missile crisis.

Basically one could already do that stuff, editor allows any place around globe. And Cold War database probably already has all the required units.

• 2 weeks later...

It has LOT of stuff.There are 2 databases, one from 1946-1979 and another from 1980 - near future.

If it existed, it probably is in game. Database is so large I have but just touched it when viewing :D

Support/enhancements are great. I have had it 3 weeks and it was then Build 481 (version). they just released Build 486 today, so you can see how responsive and willing devs are for enhancements and bug fixes.

As said on forum:

At present, the ground forces are more an 'excuse' to perform air/naval ops than part of an all-encompassing air/sea/land simulation, though I do understand there are intentions to enhance that sometime down the line.

I've only played conflict-based scenarios so I don't know to what extent stand-offs can be modelled, but I see no reason why that couldn't be done especially as more features are added. You can always make suggestions in the forum.

Is it worth it just now?

Now, the game is still very new, there are bugs and finessing yet to be dealt with, but IMHO it's still an enormously deep, challenging and enjoyable game in its present state. It's not cheap, but you are paying for a game crafted and supported by enthusiasts, with all the signs that such improvement will continue for a long time. If you check out the forum you'll see that the devs are very attentive to our reports and requests, and work hard at implementing fixes and improvements.

So I'd say yes, it's very much worth it if you can afford the price. And if you can't, start saving now!

I was interested too, until I saw it was a Matrix release.

I'll wait to see if it gets supported by the company, or left as a bug-riddled mess like "Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich"; once bitten...

Matrix is just publisher, it's developers who need to support their product. In case of Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich, that was Gary Grigsby & Co. (2by3). I guess in 2b3 case, they dropped earlier game, concentrating on War in the East/War in the West.

Developers of CMANO is http://www.warfaresims.com/ and they have been very enthusiastic so far to support their product.

BTW, good overview of game:

http://www.warfaresims.com/?page_id=1101

Edited by Sardaukar

Is it steep in the requirements? I.e., is it a "Can you run Crysis?" kind of game?

Product Requirements :

CPU: 1 GHz (Dual-core Pentium and above recommended)

RAM: 1 GB (2GB+ recommended)

Video/Graphics: DirectX 9.0c compatible video card with 16 MB RAM

Sound: Compatible sound card

Hard disk space: 10 GB Free

DVD-ROM: Yes, for boxed version

DirectX version: DirectX 9.0c (Suitable Direct-X version bundled with game)

I run it on laptop with Intel Core Duo 2.0Ghz and 4 Gb RAM (plus 4Gb Windows ReadyBoost on memory stick attached.). I have not tried huge scenarios, but I can run even large(ish) ones decently.

Here is product page of Matrix for more info:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/483/details/Command:.Modern.Air.Naval.Operations

You might like the scenario depicted on video on that page, it's situated in Scarborough Shoal, Philippines :D

Edited by Sardaukar

Is it steep in the requirements? I.e., is it a "Can you run Crysis?" kind of game?

It's a typical Matrix Excel with Guns game

I know they're a small niche developer, but charging $80-$100 for bug-ridden trash is frankly unacceptable. Burned one too many times over a decade ago.

It's a typical Matrix Excel with Guns game

I know they're a small niche developer, but charging $80-$100 for bug-ridden trash is frankly unacceptable. Burned one too many times over a decade ago.

As I said before, Matrix is NOT developer company. It's just publisher. They do publish and sell games of many developers. They do not develop games themselves.

I have never bought a game from them that I was not satisfied with, mainly because I check their forums first, to see what people think about that game. E.g., Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich was on sale recently and I was thinking of buying it. But when I checked the Matrix forum for the game, I found out that Gary G. and rest of the 2by3 had basically left it unsupported now. So, no-go.

BTW, they just lowered prices of some older games considerably, might be worth checking.

Edited by Sardaukar

If you want to see what sort of stuff is in game, there is database viewer available:

http://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/Main_Page

It's under construction, so lot of stuff in game not yet on the pages.

Edited by Sardaukar

• 4 weeks later...

Spent something like 8 hrs editing existing scenario Operation Sling of David (fictional Israeli air attack on Iran).

I wanted to give some modified load-outs and ECM/sensor gear to my IDF/AF planes and drones...and currently it is quite PITA to do it for parked planes. :D And some stuff just cannot be done(that is outside defined load-outs of plane). I spent an hours changing stuff like adding Skyshield DECM jammers, dual-spectrum flares..you name it. Made kick-ass Eitan UAV deep-penetration recon/Electronic Warfare load-out (FLIR/laser designator/DECM/OECM/chaff & flare dispensers/towed decoys). Editing scenario is even more fun than playing it. :D

And to figure out if going out against reactor complex with 2x SPICE 2000 (Mk 84)GPS/EO/INS load-out per F-16I Sufa or 6x Mk 82 LDGB (laser designator guided bombs) or Griffins..or JDAMs... :D And deciding load-outs vs. need for aerial refueling vs. survivability...etc.

E.g. I can attack reactor complex with 6x Mk 82 LDGB per plane (all weather), but I have to come within 1 nautical mile. 2-4x Griffin Mk 82s, 4 nm (but those are clear weather only), 2-4x Opher Mk 82, 2nm (all weather) or safest SPICE 2000 Mk 84, 35 nm (all weather). And then it is hit probability/number of targets/number of ordnance vs. predicted defences.... And this is in scenario editor (you can play scenario in both simulation and editor mode), latter gives you tools to edit something you want to change during play too. When playing in simulation mode, you'll actually have to wait for your planes to change load-out... like 6 hrs to change from Mk 82 LDGB to others etc. :D And you'd want your planes arrive to Iran at night and not in the morning... :D