History Of Us Army Afvs

Nikolas93TS

21 hours ago, Bichri001 said:

What is that thing circled in red? 

Our country has just started to use JLTVs and I haven't seen any other operators using this add-on.

FaioIc7aIAAqChH.jpg

Driver thermal camera.

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I could use some help looking for a page/website. It had to deal with the history/modifications/upgrades of the M48 tank and dealt in large detail with the 48A3 mods, the mod”b”/2, a list of the mods Cadillac Gage did to upgrade older M48s and I remember an image of an early prototype Thermal or TV imaging system over the barrel/gun mantlet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You!👍

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

In the video Pete posted about the M103 in the Tank P*rn thread, the author makes the claim that problems with the M103's gun control system could partly be traced to the system being adopted from a US Navy antiaircraft mounting, "which tankers had no experience with." Has anyone heard of this? I'm having some trouble verifying it. Hunnicutt, Icks, and our own Kenneth Estes don't seem to mention this after (quickly) scanning through their books on the M103; the TM's description doesn't seem out of the ordinary; and in the SNL the turret powerpack etc at least looks pretty routine compared to, say, M47's. Thanks!

Future Infantry Fighting Vehicle model from 1990's. It's concept is very similar to current Optionally manned Fighting Vehicle. Some concepts never die, they just wait for their time. ;)

a3NDkgU.jpg

8qljc7Q.jpg

0pnHKSV.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd be interested to see the work that appears to have been done on APFSDS in the same period (the concept at least is mentioned in the attached report, above) 

This is roughly contemporaneous with the Soviet adoption of fin rounds and smoothbores, so it would be interesting to me to see why the US (and others) don't appear to have taken this up for operational munitions. Too invested in rifled guns, perhaps?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

M551 question.

So the gunner has 2 sight options, either the M127 or M127A1 telescopic sight or the M44 passive infrared periscope M44. But neither sight has a sight picture or increments for a specific round used. How did the gunner knew how to adjust the aim point when using different type of rounds(M409A1 HEAT, M657A2 HE and the canister round)?

qEWSsGV.jpg

@Tim Sielbeck thank you for the photo! 

I think I've figured it out! The 152mm HEAT and HE were about the same weight and apparently had the same velocity so the aiming reticle was most probably universal. And the M81 gun launcehr wasn't really suposed to be used beyond about 1300m.

1. u42cSdK.jpg
  2. BbHRuc8.jpg

So, when lurking through internet, on a facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=360634360249958&set=pb.100089101898307.-2207520000&type=3) I found this thing.

GEn57wAWkAAo5Dy?format=jpg&name=large

This seems to be some sort of a technology demonstrator. Hull looks to be a modified M1A2SEPv2 hull, with new towing eyes typical for M1A2SEPv3 hull. It uses old TIP box, and do not have UAAPU exhaust.

However this turret sems to be something new. It have redesigned front armor, and sides are not protected by thick composite armor modules. It seems to be manned turret. There also seems to be some sort of RWS behind commander cupola.

Few years ago I heard about some new turret projects developed by GDLS and US Army. This might be one of them.

Of course this also might be a photoshop.

Edited by Damian

Nah. The edges of the turret cheeks look photoshopped.

It even has a 12.7mm BMG ammo box (you can see it right in front of the CITV) for TUSK II's mantlet-mounted M2HB (not visible here), which is not often seen nowadays and wasn't even standard fare in Iraq because the US supply units didn't have enough spare M2s to indulge the M1 crews.

And if anything, USAR seems to be more interested in low-profile (and potentially unmanned) turrets for the M1 nowadays.

Edited by Renegade334

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately the book topic doesn't get much noticed, I've finished about  1/5 of  "Camp Colt to Desert Storm, The History of U.S. Armored Forces," by George F. Hofmann and Donn A. Starry. 

So far it is a good read on U.S. tank development and the employment of these vehicles. Our own Ken Estes has a few chapters in it which I have not got to yet. 

Anyone have opinions on this book?

• 1 month later...