History Of Us Army Afvs

Nikolas93TS

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/17/2022 at 6:58 PM, EasyE said:

I had an interesting talk with an American tanker recently.

I work on the engineering side of things, and he was a consultant, and he was retired US Army from the mid 1970s until the early 2000s. 

Served on M60A1/A3, M1, M1A1, M1A1HA, M1A2, and exposure to the M1A2SEP.

The opinion of former Spanish tankers about the thermal sight of M60A3TTS is also very good, better than that of Leopard 2A4.

One of them stated that at 400 meters he could see people inside tents. On another occasion his gunner told him that he thought the camera was broken because he could a darker layer in the upper part of the sight. It turns out it was pollution.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, DB said:

So hybrid drive, better internal digital network and no direct vision or periscopes (at least in the demonstrator. Not entirely sure about the last part.

There are direct vision periscopes around crew hatches.

14 minutes ago, Damian said:

There are direct vision periscopes around crew hatches.

So there are. To be honest, I don't associate top hatches like those with a driver position, but one of them could be.

3 hours ago, DB said:

So there are. To be honest, I don't associate top hatches like those with a driver position, but one of them could be.

One of them is for driver, driver position changed.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, alejandro_ said:

Interview with a former M48A1 commander in the National Guard of the US

http://alejandro-8en.blogspot.com/2022/10/interview-with-former-m48-commander-in.html

Nice! I didn't know gassers lasted that long (I presume he was talking about the late '60s-early '70s) but that's the Guard for you...

Edited by shep854

1 hour ago, alejandro_ said:

Thanks, readers also found strange that the tank platoon was commanded by  a platoon sergeant. In Spain a senior NCO or Lt would be assigned to it.

When the unit is short of lieutenants then it is typical that a platoon sergeant would command the platoon.  I grant you that the senior NCO in a platoon is considered the Platoon Sergeant and the NCO rank associated with platoon sergeant is Sergeant First Class (SFC / E-7).  A senior NCO rating.

It isn't mentioned what rank he was at each level of experience so he may well have been a Staff Sergeant (SSG / E-6) platoon sergeant.  And, depending how short handed they may have been he might even have been simply a sergeant (SGT / E-5).  During the time period under discussion (late Vietnam War) the state national guards were being pressured by the federal government to keep manning levels low so as not to be havens for men avoiding the draft.  After re-reading the interview it would seem his unit was severely understrength given that he was assigned to be a tank commander as a young and unexperienced enlisted man.

On 10/19/2022 at 2:58 PM, DKTanker said:

During the time period under discussion (late Vietnam War) the state national guards were being pressured by the federal government to keep manning levels low so as not to be havens for men avoiding the draft.  After re-reading the interview it would seem his unit was severely understrength given that he was assigned to be a tank commander as a young and unexperienced enlisted man.

I double checked with him and he served from March 1972 (in high school) until March 1978. Somehow I thought he had served way earlier (maybe mid 60s) as I assumed M48 petrol variants were phased out quickly.

3 hours ago, alejandro_ said:

I double checked with him and he served from March 1972 (in high school) until March 1978. Somehow I thought he had served way earlier (maybe mid 60s) as I assumed M48 petrol variants were phased out quickly.

Wow! That is a long run indeed for the gassers...shows how starved the Guard was in the days before Total Force.

3 hours ago, alejandro_ said:

Okay, draft was over or nearly so and the US military was much maligned at the time.  I enlisted in 1977 as a young wide eyed patriotic soul that found himself cast into the lot with the dregs of society.  Manning strength was quite low, no doubt lower still in the National Guard.  

6 minutes ago, shep854 said:

Wow! That is a long run indeed for the gassers...shows how starved the Guard was in the days before Total Force.

Indeed.  When states had to buy their own equipment there would have been little incentive to swap out gassers for diesel versions when the only significant upgrade would have been the engine type.  

On 10/21/2022 at 7:15 AM, DKTanker said:

Indeed.  When states had to buy their own equipment there would have been little incentive to swap out gassers for diesel versions when the only significant upgrade would have been the engine type.  

Especially when the Feds saw the Guard as makework and a source of at reasonably trained replacements

M109A6+ from 2001, among many upgrades it had upgraded M284 gun with L52 barrel. Right now US Army is seeking new gun for M109A7, probably also with L52 barrel.

fHzTsbL.jpg

nxfKaHN.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, JPEO-A&A developed its own unmanned turret for the Abrams. It appears to have the old Meggitt Compact Autoloader, judging by the orientation of the shells in the cassette (the new variant in the AbramsX reportedly does not require a 180° reorientation of the round between extraction and chambering). The gun is still a M256 rather than the XM360 favored by GDLS.

QUfpm5G.png

https://ndiastorage.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/ndia/2022/future/Tues_Grassano.pdf (page 18)

^--- page 17 also shows the difference in size and geometry of the M109A7 and XM1299 SPH turrets.

Edited by Renegade334

IMG_0696

Ok, so this unusual paint used on M1A2SEPv3's, it seems to be TALON CVCS (Combat Vehicle Coating System), which reduces both thermal and radar signature of the vehicle. This is probably one of several variants of camouflage pattern.