tanknet.org

Chieftain Questions

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob, that is great news, available from 15 Jan 2013 (just literally checked Kagero's web site :) ). Not being greedy or anything, but do you have any news on your book(s) about Challenger 1 & 2?.

Looking forward to reading your book later next month.

Charles

Were the mk5 and mk 11(?) splashguards in front of the driver shaped different? On the 2 model kits I have they are but they look to be built into the hull so I'd imagine in reality they were probably the same.

Were the mk5 and mk 11(?) splashguards in front of the driver shaped different? On the 2 model kits I have they are but they look to be built into the hull so I'd imagine in reality they were probably the same.

Depends what you mean; in the foreground is the splash plate, the rail affair directly in front of the hatch is part of the wading facility. The rail was cut away in BATUS to facilitate cleaning and prevent build-up of water but was part of the hull really so was identical in all the Mks. I've seen a modified splash plate, once, and I'm in the picture!

The groove ring you mention is in fact the lip for retaining the wading envelope, in later tanks this was angle ground off as a offcial mod, from about centre of tank back. it was a standard shape and did not vary with Mks.

Bob, that is great news, available from 15 Jan 2013 (just literally checked Kagero's web site :) ). Not being greedy or anything, but do you have any news on your book(s) about Challenger 1 & 2?.

Looking forward to reading your book later next month.

Charles

Charles you know more than we do then with a date :ph34r: CR1 is ready to go just depends on Chieftain sales, CR2 is also ready, Centurion I am stocking up on the pills for that one.

I think that the best answer to that lies on Facebook where there is a large and thriving "Chieftain tank Appreciation Society" and judging from the post the old girl is felt with a great deal of affection. Having played with it and its successors have to admit it was fun and a very good tank.

As for likes if I can refer to my Conqueror book, during interviews of ex crew it was evenly split with hateed it to it was the best thing since sliced bread attitudes.

• 6 months later...

In reference to discussion about new turret for Centurion, so called Action-X turret (thread about WOT - click), here are two pics, found at Russian otvaga2004 board:

There could be seen main features of that design, mantletless turret front and coax aperture on "glacis". Not that is NOT the same turret as FV 4202 mule was equipped with (link to measures of that turret --> click).

Edited by Przezdzieblo

I guess there was made a number of ballistic and non-ballistic castings (the one above?), with formers spent during fire trials. The report I got covers part of pretty standard UK test procedure. It starts with single small arms` shot to check resistance of mantletless design to bullet splash - .303 ball and .5 AP. Then 2 strikes with 20 pdr HE from 100 yards. Finally single 17 pdr AP, 17 pdr AP with increased muzzle velocity, 3,7" FH (flat head?) proof shot and 3,7" AP. For sure that turret is not the same from pictures above - when test was finished, it had a big hole on the left "cheek" with 17 pdr AP sticked in it.

Where? That fence looks like that in Bovington, it may be that part of "wreckyard" that is not accesible from the road. Maybe behind the workshops?

Edited by Przezdzieblo

Where? That fence looks like that in Bovington, it may be that part of "wreckyard" that is not accesible from the road. Maybe behind the workshops?

The heras fence? It does look like it's sat in the alley between the road and the new hall, I'll have a look next week.

The heras fence? It does look like it's sat in the alley between the road and the new hall, I'll have a look next week.

You can just see it on Google Maps street view when you follow Bovington Ln behind, what I think is, the new hall. This may be close enough 50.694059,-2.244253.

It looks like there are two more turrets there, Chieftain`s and Challenger`s? (cannot see details behind the fence and hedge; Max H, could you made a pic or two? during my last visit unfortunately I missed it while concentrating on Challenger and Conqueror in front of Stanley Barracks)

Edited by Przezdzieblo