Tankfest 2013

Harold Jones

Yeah, good question. No idea on convenient places. We got anywhere good for us we can drop stuff of securely? Trustworthy? The kind of place where the owner actually wishes for a home invasion, for the practice?

Define "Close". Munich. Paris. PanDemonium, London...

Jami and I will avail ourselves of your hospitality and store the big suitcase(akaThe Luggage) with you while we gad about looking at tanks and such....

So presuming a little on Maxx's hospitality

Friday arrival and welcome bbq at Maxx's place

Presuming nothing, you get to park a tank in the flat if the mood takes you. 'Twill be an honour and a pleasure.

I sould warn you, I'm a brilliant cocktail maker and a half way decent cook.

Make sure I'm in the loop for touch down, and despite not driving I'll be along to help with the luggage - work has me shelling out to be covered for 24 hour all zones, under and overground.

Heathrow is free for me, but Stanstead, Gatwick & Luton are no biggie as EasyBus ferries you too Earls Court or Central London if bought a little in advance for as silly as $5. http://www.easybus.co.uk/?ReferURL=010&gclid=CLa3q-nyj7QCFe_MtAodBm0Axw&sissr=1

Don't get taken like a tourist.

I can meet anywhere in London to help out, too. Goes for the rest, as long as I don't need a teleporter or the breaking of Physics rule about being in two places at once.

Edited by Typhoid Maxx

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If either Tankfest or the museum proper is on Saturday, I'll probably need to fly. No problem, I'll just need to know for booking. Of course if the tickets let you visit on either day of the weekend and go back to the museum throughout the year, I might as well do the latter after the group has dispersed, but obviously would prefer to go with everybody else.

Looks like we have an anchor point in the Whitehall. We could stay there a day longer for a trip to Portsmouth and/or visit there on the move to the next base, Ashford or whatever; I don't think we should trouble with more than two camps.

Where is the rest of the British contingent here?

...I'm waiting on my cues from you bloody foreigners, but the rest...no idea. Not in direct contact with any, Jason L is the only Tn'er I've met, and I've spoken with Mike Steele & sunday in the past, but that is it...

Fact is, if Mike Steele had not qued me in, I'd have no idea anything...was...happening...in England in '13.

Oh. Um...

They Might Not Know.

FFZ thread with announcement and link?

I rather think the I&I Info Center being a subforum to the FFZ might be the problem since some folks never visit the latter at all, and with the "Latest Threads" box on the right-hand bar gone from the main page ...

I'll make a few post throughout the fora.

Wish I could go. Budget, as always, is the issue. I'll ask my coworker who was supposed to go there during the London Olympics how much was the plane fare. If the plane fare can be achieved, I'll see if I can get a visa. Problem will be a place to stay though, but still....

I prefer Poole to Bournemouth, though I don't know about hotels there. It has a proper harbour, some decent pubs, & it's closer to Bovington. Same trains as Bournemouth, just a couple of stops further on. Not so convenient for beaches as Bournemouth proper, though closer to Studland, which is a little more like a German beach in some respects ;) but I don't think beaches are the point, are they?

Bournemouth developed as a beach resort. Poole was a real town, a port. It still shows, although they're all part of the same built-up area nowadays.

There are local trains to Wool, which is a longish walk (2.5 km), but with a tarmac path beside the road the whole way, except for a short stretch of quiet lane with no through traffic except on foot or two wheels. One train an hour each way on winter Saturdays (summer may be different). 20 minutes from Poole, 30 from Bournemouth. Anyone driving could pick others up from the station, maybe run a shuttle. http://www.southwest...uk/default.aspx

Edited by swerve

If either Tankfest or the museum proper is on Saturday, I'll probably need to fly. No problem, I'll just need to know for booking. Of course if the tickets let you visit on either day of the weekend and go back to the museum throughout the year, I might as well do the latter after the group has dispersed, but obviously would prefer to go with everybody else.

I figure it would be easiest if we had the museum visit after tankfest, on monday. It would save a journey, at least.

Rather walk it, soak up something other than The Smoke.

The something other will probably smell like cow poop, fyi

So I deduct the following:

- Dorset FOB will be the Whitehall in Bournemouth.

- Members will arrive there beginning Saturday noon.

- Tankfest visit on Sunday, single day adult ticket for £17.

- Return to museum on the same ticket on Monday if not already done on Saturday, probably visit T. E. Lawrence's nearby cottage and other local sights too.

- While still in the area, possibly visit Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovil (Tuesday?).

- Move on to London/Medway events via Portsmouth ca. Wednesday?

Fine wit dat, part village childhood. Manure does not faze me.

Typical Bulgarian childhood (like mine) was 9 mths city 3 mths (summer) with the grandparents in the country, I assume you had similar experience.

It is perhaps worth noting that the travel time from London to Bovington by road is less than 2 hours, especially on a Sunday. However, for those of Sam, it's also worth noting that there are a considerable number of obstacles to navigation on the A31. They occasionally bamboozle, nay, full-on flummox, the native driver, let alone those of a colonial persuasion.

That is a failure to use a roundabout correctly whilst driving a (US designed and built) tank transporter.

Yes, I know it's an old picture, but it has some interesting features - note the side armour construction.

It is perhaps worth noting that the travel time from London to Bovington by road is less than 2 hours, especially on a Sunday. However, for those of Sam, it's also worth noting that there are a considerable number of obstacles to navigation on the A31. They occasionally bamboozle, nay, full-on flummox, the native driver, let alone those of a colonial persuasion.

That is a failure to use a roundabout correctly whilst driving a (US designed and built) tank transporter.

Yes, I know it's an old picture, but it has some interesting features - note the side armour construction.

Blame The equipment instead of the operator..... ( Its all Bush's fault!) :angry:

:P

Typical Bulgarian childhood (like mine) was 9 mths city 3 mths (summer) with the grandparents in the country, I assume you had similar experience.

Pretty much, grandfather had the largest estate in the village, so even on holiday everybody was supposed to throw in, even the children. Good days, when a summer lasted an eternity, under a sky clear enough to see all the stars at night as you lay waiting to sleep outside on the terrace...funny how letting nighttime and daybreak regulate your cycle had you up early and full of energy to just GO DO :)

But of course, grandfather was awake from half past four, watering and feeding the livestock. Winters were different, only four hours worth of being awake each day, hibernation...

So I deduct the following: - Dorset FOB will be the Whitehall in Bournemouth. - Members will arrive there beginning Saturday noon. - Tankfest visit on Sunday, single day adult ticket for £17. - Return to museum on the same ticket on Monday if not already done on Saturday, probably visit T. E. Lawrence's nearby cottage and other local sights too. - While still in the area, possibly visit Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovil (Tuesday?). - Move on to London/Medway events via Portsmouth ca. Wednesday?

Starting to sound dangerously organised. Looks like a plan to me, everyone else OK with this?

Will there be Tank?

Big Tank!

Little Tank!

Silly Tank!

Not quite Tank!

German Tank!

Russian Tank!

Tank Tank!!!1!

Pretty much, grandfather had the largest estate in the village, so even on holiday everybody was supposed to throw in, even the children. Good days, when a summer lasted an eternity, under a sky clear enough to see all the stars at night as you lay waiting to sleep outside on the terrace...funny how letting nighttime and daybreak regulate your cycle had you up early and full of energy to just GO DO :)

But of course, grandfather was awake from half past four, watering and feeding the livestock. Winters were different, only four hours worth of being awake each day, hibernation...

I haven't done heavy farm work but I've killed my fair share of imperialist colorado beetles among other things. ;)

Big Tank!

Little Tank!

Tank Tank!!!1!

This post almost made Tony implode by pure exctasy! Finally someone understand Tank!!!

Although it is 7 months away so too early to say for sure yet.....Tony will consider joining this Tankastic endeavour....

This post almost made Tony implode by pure exctasy! Finally someone understand Tank!!!

Although it is 7 months away so too early to say for sure yet.....Tony will consider joining this Tankastic endeavour....

That would be IMPRESSING!

So do we descend on the show Saturday or Sunday? Tickets are on sale now and I sort of remember they sell out fairly quickly.

So, should we all be buying tickets now for Sunday?

Yes, but I'm Currently stymied by their website requiring a postal code but not accepting my US ZIP Code, although it does let me set my country to United States.

Did you manage to solve this, Harold? I´ve just tried to buy a ticket and its complaining about my German postcode. I´ll have to phone them in the morning and do my own complaining!

So do we descend on the show Saturday or Sunday? Tickets are on sale now and I sort of remember they sell out fairly quickly.

So, should we all be buying tickets now for Sunday?

Yes, but I'm Currently stymied by their website requiring a postal code but not accepting my US ZIP Code, although it does let me set my country to United States.

Did you manage to solve this, Harold? I´ve just tried to buy a ticket and its complaining about my German postcode. I´ll have to phone them in the morning and do my own complaining!

Got a reply from the museum and they suggested using their postal code BH20 6JG. I just bought my tickets using it and the transaction seems to have gone through with no problems.