The Us Xm-1 Program (History, Competition, Decision)

Jim Warford

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, AFAIK L3 was allready manufacturing it on licence for Israel, so it was obvious choice. Other one is 1500HP version of AVDS-1790, I doubt that due to sequestration, anyone was thinking about ressurecting more perspective projects like XAP-1000.

the littlefield museum sold it to me

everything at the littlefield has now been donated to the collins foundation. they are going to move some of them and auction off the rest.

the only thing i did to the xm1 was straighten out the fenders a little and install a barrel and mantlet.

then just pressure wash and paint.

no engine or trans.

i will try and get more pics posted tomorrow.

We saw that tank at the Littlefield I&I of Nov05, but I swear the engine had arrived earlier, seen on my first visit there [2004?], when Mike Green showed me around. The story then was that it was the MBT70 engine.

"I still to this day do not understand why they didn't yet replaced the AGT-1500 by the promising LV-100-5 gas turbine. :("--Sovngard

Money. At the time, there were still plenty of 'good enough' AGT-1500s around, especially with the reduction in tank inventory.

"I still to this day do not understand why they didn't yet replaced the AGT-1500 by the promising LV-100-5 gas turbine. :("--Sovngard

Money. At the time, there were still plenty of 'good enough' AGT-1500s around, especially with the reduction in tank inventory.

Closer. There is also an AGT-1500 rebuild facility in a Congressional district. ;)

"It is a bit pity that Hunnicutt never focused more on such details in his book, so a better description of the differences between variants could be avaiable."

Hunnicutt's 'Abrams' wasn't published (first edition) until 1990. Many of the mod's and improvements were likely either not possible or even imagined at the time. It was, after all nearly 23 years ago.

We were operational testing the M1A2 at Ft Hunter Liggett in the early 90s. I was chairing the test scoring conferences.

At what point did they dump the M85 and M60 machine guns for the M2 and M240D?

The M1 was specified for the M2 in the original requirements document and the commanders cupola was designed around it. The Armor community wanted nothing further to do with the M85.

Initial M1 prototypes used the M73 for the coax.

"I still to this day do not understand why they didn't yet replaced the AGT-1500 by the promising LV-100-5 gas turbine.

:("--Sovngard

BP: Closer. There is also an AGT-1500 rebuild facility in a Congressional district. ;)

Instead of investing into the future by developing a new high power-high density engine that could also be sold on the civil market (for boats, heavy tractors whatever else) a legacy system past its time is kept on life support and eats and eats money in the daily use. Just consider the fuel consumption. And oil wont get cheaper in the future. And talk of adding a Diesel engine to the Abrams has been there for decades. Politics- blocking sensible descision making since stone age. :glare:

To add a question: what is this XAP-1000 engine?

edit: somehow the quoting turned FUBAR.

Edited by Panzermann

the littlefield museum sold it to me

everything at the littlefield has now been donated to the collins foundation. they are going to move some of them and auction off the rest.

the only thing i did to the xm1 was straighten out the fenders a little and install a barrel and mantlet.

then just pressure wash and paint.

no engine or trans.

i will try and get more pics posted tomorrow.

We saw that tank at the Littlefield I&I of Nov05, but I swear the engine had arrived earlier, seen on my first visit there [2004?], when Mike Green showed me around. The story then was that it was the MBT70 engine.

This past August I saw a picture of that GM M1 prototype at the Littlefield Collection. I was curious as to it's condition so I emailed them, asking if the engine or transmission was in it. They responded saying:

"Thank you for your interest in our museum. The XM-1 was received without an engine or transmission. Most interior systems were also removed. It had been used as a 'target' on a small arms range and is in pretty bad shape. The torsion bars had failed and we gather loose parts from the area. It is also soon to go to a better home for restoration efforts."

The Cummins/Allison XAP-1000 is based on the advanced Cummins XAV-28 V-12 diesel, a low-heat rejection engine, which while not purely adiabatic, uses only oil coolant and has no water in the cooling system at all; it uses the energy of the higher temperature exhaust gases to run an auxiliary power unit (APU). It was chosen to be use in M1 Block III Main Battle Tank within the framework of the ASM Program.

Edited by Sovngard

The Cummins/Allison XAP-1000 is based on the advanced Cummins XAV-28 V-12 diesel, a low-heat rejection engine, which while not purely adiabatic, uses only oil coolant and has no water in the cooling system at all; it uses the energy of the higher temperature exhaust gases to run an auxiliary power unit (APU). It was chosen to be use in M1 Block III Main Battle Tank within the framework of the ASM Program.

Hmm, I don't see much online about this engine. What sort of power did it generate? Personally, I am still a fan of the old AVDS-1790 which is available in 1500 these days. But then, I am a bit biased.

Hmm, I don't see much online about this engine. What sort of power did it generate? Personally, I am still a fan of the old AVDS-1790 which is available in 1500 these days. But then, I am a bit biased.

This very interesting PDF says that it can provide up to 1450 hp.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a237212.pdf (p. 58)

• 4 months later...

I recently stumbled across the website for the Government Accountability Office (GAO) while doing some Google searches related to the M1 Abrams. The GAO website has quite a few reports in PDF format pertaining to the Abrams, particularly from the early 80's when the vehicle was being introduced. These reports make a nice history of some of the early teething problems that the M1 and its gas turbine engine experienced. I have posted links to some of the more interesting reports below in chronological order.

Critical Considerations in the Acquisition of a New Main Battle Tank Jun 24, 1976

Department of Defense Consideration of West Germany's Leopard as the Army's New Main Battle Tank Nov 28, 1977

The Army's Proposed Close Combat Armored Vehicle Team Dec 12, 1977

Major Deficiencies Disclosed in Testing of the Army's XM-1 Tank Warrant Slower Production Apr 16, 1979

XM1 Tank's Reliability Is Still Uncertain Jan 29, 1980

Matters Relating to the XM-1 Tank Apr 16, 1980

Logistics Planning for the M1 Tank: Implications for Reduced Readiness and Increased Support Costs Jul 1, 1981

Matters Relating to the M1 Tank Jul 21, 1981

Logistics Planning for the M1 Tank Jul 21, 1981

Large-Scale Production of the M1 Tank Should Be Delayed Until Its Power Train Is Made More Durable Dec 15, 1981

Matters Relating to the M1 Tank Mar 5, 1982

Poor Procurement Practices Resulted in Unnecessary Costs in Procuring M1 Tank Spares Jan 18, 1983

Abrams Tank: Block II Modifications Not Ready to Enter Production Mar 1, 1990

Abrams Tank: Operating Costs More Than Expected Feb 28, 1991

Operation Desert Storm: Early Performance Assessment of Bradley and Abrams Jan 10, 1992

Abrams Tank: Efforts to Address Engine Recuperator Problems Mar 5, 1993

M1 Tanks: Status of Proposed Overhaul Program Apr 10, 1996

• 6 years later...

Anything new on the engine front?  Manic answered the 'Turbine v Diesel' question again in his latest Q&A video, but didn't say anything about a new turbine.

Edited by shep854

On 9/21/2020 at 6:12 AM, Harkonnen said:

looks like aluminium tracks were used on General Motors  XM1 , maybe somebody know their designation or any details?

I talked to a guy who was in the first M1 battalion at Ft. Hood.  He said they had aluminum tracks on those vehicles and they stretched out away from the idler when moving at speed to the point that you wouldn't want to try turning.