The Worst Book Ever?

RETAC21

Which is the military fiction/non-fiction book you wouldn't recommend to your worst enemy, only good for burning?

How about Tom Clancy's SSN:

SSN by Tom Clancy and Martin Greenberg (Feb 1, 2000)

(209 customer reviews)

Formats Price New Used Collectible Mass Market Paperback Usually ships in 9 to 12 days

Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping. $7.99 $0.39 $0.01 $1.00 Hardcover $32.00 $3.71

With Kennedy.

Man should but tar, feathered, spiked, burned.

Henlein & Philip K. Dick used SF to write books, infrequently socio-political with the military aspect in nature, Clancy killed trees for bad toilet paper.

May karma turn him into a dung beetle.

While I don't doubt that the latest top best seller is a piece of crap, Archie, I´d suggest it doesn't qualify as military ;)

Interesting critic on Amazon, though...

"The main male character is a billionaire (not a millionaire but a billionaire) who speaks fluent French, is basically a concert level pianist, is a fully trained pilot, is athletic, drop dead gorgeous, tall, built perfectly with an enormous penis, and the best lover on the planet. In addition, he's not only self made but is using his money to combat world hunger. Oh yeah, and all of this at the ripe old age of 26! And on top of that, he's never working. Every second is spent having sex or texting and emailing the female character. His billions seem to have just come about by magic. It seriously feels like 2 teenage girls got together and decided to create their "dream man" and came up with Christian Grey."

It's Sparky!!

Edited to add: read the Amazon reviews (the one stars...) best laugh in a week:

http://www.amazon.com/Fifty-Shades-Grey-Book-Trilogy/product-reviews/0345803485/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

Edited by RETAC21

While I don't doubt that the latest top best seller is a piece of crap, Archie, I´d suggest it doesn't qualify as military ;)

Depends on your job... :P

Interesting critic on Amazon, though...

"The main male character is a billionaire (not a millionaire but a billionaire) who speaks fluent French, is basically a concert level pianist, is a fully trained pilot, is athletic, drop dead gorgeous, tall, built perfectly with an enormous penis, and the best lover on the planet. In addition, he's not only self made but is using his money to combat world hunger. Oh yeah, and all of this at the ripe old age of 26! And on top of that, he's never working. Every second is spent having sex or texting and emailing the female character. His billions seem to have just come about by magic. It seriously feels like 2 teenage girls got together and decided to create their "dream man" and came up with Christian Grey."

It's Sparky!!

Edited to add: read the Amazon reviews (the one stars...) best laugh in a week:

http://www.amazon.com/Fifty-Shades-Grey-Book-Trilogy/product-reviews/0345803485/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

I wrote pretty much the exact same thing on Facebook, I really struggle to believe its not written by a 16 year old girl.

OMG, I'd forgotten about the WIngman series... I could never tell if they were just really bad attempts at humor, or the author was insane, or what. From his own words: http://www.mackmaloney.com/thebooks.html

Wingman - The book that started it all. No one was more surprised than I when it became such a big hit. The cover art is very cool and was a big part in the success. Someone once called this book "a comic book in words" and it's hard to disagree.

Having lost World War III after invading Europe, the Soviets activate a mole deep inside the US Government - the traitorous Vice President -- and he signs a peace treaty that basically hands defeat to the US while allowing Soviet missiles to obliterate the center of the country. America is broken up into dozens of regions and city states, and agitated by Russian agents, soon begin fighting among themselves.

The Wingman, aka Hawk Hunter, the best fighter pilot who has ever lived, starts a quest to re-unite the United States. He teams up with a real cast of characters - Captain Crunch, JT "Socket" Twomey, Ben Wa, The Jones Boys, Elvis Q, the Cobra Brothers -- and meets the lovely Bridget Bardot look-a-like, Dominique as well, the woman who will haunt him for the next 16 books.

This book is full of combat, in the air and on the ground, as Hawk and his gang kick ass on the Russians and their allies. The final battle, which takes place in Football City (aka St Louis), is titanic and results in a huge United American victory, this after Hawk single-handedly shoots down 100 Soviet-built planes. There is also lots of sex in this one

as my editor at the time told me that Hawk should lay pipe at least four times a book.

This is probably my favorite Wingman book. It is by far the best-selling of the series with something like a quarter million sold..

Which is the military fiction/non-fiction book you wouldn't recommend to your worst enemy, only good for burning? How about Tom Clancy's SSN: SSN by Tom Clancy and Martin Greenberg (Feb 1, 2000) (209 customer reviews) Formats Price New Used Collectible Mass Market Paperback Usually ships in 9 to 12 days Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping. $7.99 $0.39 $0.01 $1.00 Hardcover $32.00 $3.71

In all fairness, it wasn't a book as much as a guide for a middling video game of the same name. Each mission in the game is a chapter in the book, and if you follow the plot, you beat the game.

• 3 weeks later...

Worst books I've read tend to be from estabilished writers who once were good. No point listing them, I would probably only attract flames ("What are you talking about, Jack Higgins is totally awesome! You suck!")

I'd like to nominate Meg by Steve Alten. It wasn't so much the case of being so bad, but just totally implausible: it's not the basic idea (Megalodon sharks have survived in the depths) but events of the book which insult basic physics and common sense. A shark sinking a nuclear submarine...ok, and it gets downhill from there.

Edited by Yama

Anything by Margaret Atwood

Military? :huh:

My bad, just saw 'worst book ever" and my answer blurted out, from the repressed rage of being forced to read her sh*t in high school. On the bright side she makes clancy an exciting read.

My bad, just saw 'worst book ever" and my answer blurted out, from the repressed rage of being forced to read her sh*t in high school. On the bright side she makes clancy an exciting read.

Heh, I've read couple of her books and thought they were quite good, though I can understand why being forced to read through one of her books might be traumatic for a highschooler :)

Edited by Yama

Didn't want to start a new thread, and this one might merit addition in this thread, but then that's "judging a book by its cover" I guess, so what you think of this? --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Inferno:_1945

Basically WW3 happens while WW2 is ongoing, timeline is moved up and USSR is gone in '45.

Didn't want to start a new thread, and this one might merit addition in this thread, but then that's "judging a book by its cover" I guess, so what you think of this? --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Inferno:_1945 Basically WW3 happens while WW2 is ongoing, timeline is moved up and USSR is gone in '45.

Just going by the Wiki article you linked to:

I don't think Stalin's reaction at a Western advance across the Elbe makes sense. They made no notable objections in real life to Western proposals to advance to Berlin - they preferred that they didn't, but there were no ultimata issued or even strong opinions expressed one way or the otheron teh subject that I'm aware of . I doubt that the British people would simply give up given such gross Soviet provocation, and I wonder why one would concentrates a half million troops so tightly that that a single 20 kt device could destroy them all.

I had that one in the ebook, but I am kind of stuck on the cartoonish characters, including pistol toting US colonel that risks his men's lives needlessly with the war ended....