For Stuart Galbraith And Anyone Into Bizarre Rail Safety Vids

Mr King

I was on the Cambodian bamboo train a year ago (now I just returned from Albania ;) - and it is indeed quite scary. They can go maybe 50km/h, hard to estimate - feels very fast when sitting so low and in all the noise. There's quite big gaps or steps between the tracks in some places, makes for interesting ride :) The way they're "designed" is very cool - it's extremely simple to dismantle into a few pieces. The place where I've used one (near Batambang) is very touristy - I don't think they use it much for themselves in the area.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A Big Boy steam engine might be coming back to life.

POMONA, Calif. – Union Pacific may be bringing back the ultimate steam machine, an Alco-built 4-8-8-4 Big Boy, the last of which steamed more than 50 years ago.

Company spokesman Mark Davis told Trains News Wire Friday that the company has been approached by and is working with a third party interested in restoring and operating a Big Boy. He said the railroad is evaluating the condition of preserved UP Big Boy locomotives and that it believes two might be available for restoration. Davis declined to name the other party or give a timeline for the project. But at least one organization is already talking about its potential to put a Big Boy back on the main line.

http://trn.trains.co...%20service.aspx

The video on Intermodal freight is also quite interesting.

Its odd how intermodal has evolved. My region has several marine terminals, two of goodly size. But a lot of the incoming shipping containers leave the area by truck rather than train. This area is so chopped up by water, rail coverage is spotty, and there are a number of "you can't get there from here" cases. To move a shipping container from the Norfolk Int'l Terminal to, say, Newport News Shipbuilding, the easiest thing is to truck it across one of the bridge-tunnels. By rail, it would have to go west, then north up to Richmond, then south again to Newport News. 10 miles versus 100 or so.

Note that standard shipping containers were developed in Norfolk (the real Norfolk, not that moldy old Norfolk over in Blighty).

An idle thought, does anyone know of any relatively short US branch lines that are very interesting in operation and high in scenery? I was thinking of something like the new york high level. Either today or past, its all good.

Have you looked at American narrow gauge RR?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narrow_gauge_railroads_in_the_United_States

An idle thought, does anyone know of any relatively short US branch lines that are very interesting in operation and high in scenery? I was thinking of something like the new york high level. Either today or past, its all good.

Cumbres & Toltec in S Colorado/N New Mexico (was featured in Indiana Jones movie) Also Druango and Silverton Both are Narrow Gauge period equipment. .

Trainz 2012 is on sale on Steam right now for $10 bucks. Personally I prefer it over Train Simulator because I like the interactiveness of the world. I also like it because you can either operate the trains realistically or you can run them like you are playing with a train set. Which is great when you dont have the money or the space for one.

Yeah I agree, the terrain and models are not the best in Trainz when compared to Trainsimulator. However it doesnt feel as linear. I guess I been spoiled by other open world games and sims, I get bored just driving. The functional industry in Trainz keeps me entertained. The part I always had a hard time with was knowing what rail car was for what, as they dont give much of a indicator in its listing at least in the old ones. I just got done downloading the new one and have not really played around with it yet.

My father worked on the side as a professional photographer. Somewhere in my step mothers basement is some absolutely stunning medium format photos he took at the British railway museum of the Mallard and other trains. I am going to have to hunt those down, and make sure they are preserved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNKpgh2zLIE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeT0m-hpD_4