For Stuart Galbraith And Anyone Into Bizarre Rail Safety Vids

Mr King

NS had a derailment due to a truck on the tracks at our local RR museum. The neighbors have a paving company and apparently some of their equipment got stuck on the tracks and they weren't able to get the train dispatcher for that stretch on the horn in time. 

So one of the resident video-documentarians got his drone out for a lot of footage of the wreck and cleanup. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Never knew about this, a disaster.

The Quintinshill rail disaster was a multi-train rail crash which occurred on 22 May 1915 outside the Quintinshill signal box near Gretna Green in Dumfriesshire, Scotland. It resulted in the deaths of over 200 people, and is the worst rail disaster in British history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quintinshill_rail_disaster

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not a video, and not directly trains, but I'm putting it here anyway, because coal.

This is first deep coal mine application processed successfully in the UK in 30 years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-55561852

I would suggest that the climate protestors ask Germany why still generate electricity using dreadful brown coal first - deal with the big problems first.

On 1/7/2021 at 6:06 PM, DB said:

Not a video, and not directly trains, but I'm putting it here anyway, because coal.

This is first deep coal mine application processed successfully in the UK in 30 years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-55561852

I would suggest that the climate protestors ask Germany why still generate electricity using dreadful brown coal first - deal with the big problems first.

And what they will use the coal for?

I have not a clue. There is no market for coal for power generation any more, domestic use is almost certainly minuscule and "fashionable" homes use log burning stoves rather than coal. Maybe they'll corner the market for steam locos, which is really why I put it here - apparently a lot of coal used in the historical preserved lines is imported. there must be an industrial use for coal, some chemical feedstock perhaps?

Possible higher aromatics extraction, but doing it from coal only pays back if you have no access to oil, otherwise it is pretty pointless and requires separate apparatuses anyway, so any capacity would have to be either 40+ years old (which would not fly in the todays ecological regulations) or new built... which is not profitable.

5 minutes ago, DB said:

I have not a clue. There is no market for coal for power generation any more, domestic use is almost certainly minuscule and "fashionable" homes use log burning stoves rather than coal. Maybe they'll corner the market for steam locos, which is really why I put it here - apparently a lot of coal used in the historical preserved lines is imported. there must be an industrial use for coal, some chemical feedstock perhaps?

Ironmaking with blast furnaces needs some special coal grades.

More easily made those days (those days like last 60-70 years or so).

Edited by bojan

Probably want to export it to China. China is hard up for good coal to support its steel industry because XI cluelessly embargoed Aussie coal in a recent dispute. Oops. Turns out most of the smelting equipment they have is for Aussie coal, doesn't work well with Ruskie coal. In desperation they are processing scrap.

My house is 150 years old and burns coal, though in truth more coaldust  bricquettes. Many houses that don't have a regular gas supply do still in this area.

Most UK heritage lines use Russian coal, which can be good but I'm told some of it had an unfortunate effect of burning boiler tubes. Probably depends what region it comes from.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith

32 minutes ago, sunday said:

There are still ironmaking plants that use iron ore being built now. Not all steel comes from recycling scrap metal.

No, I mean high quality coke for smelting iron.

The BOF process is the most used process to make steel currently, and it works using the hot metal manufactured in a blast furnace.

Edited by sunday