How Do You Take Your Dog?

Mr King

How do you guys like your hot dogs? No casing / casing, beef / pork / mix, boiled / steamed / grilled / fried / deep fried, yellow mustard / brown mustard / Dijon mustard, ketchup, onions, sweet relish / dill relish, sauerkraut, Coney Island sauce, chili with beans / chili with out beans, sport peppers, dill pickles, cheese / cheesewiz, coleslaw, wrapped in bacon, dipped in corn bread batter and deep fried, have I left anything out? The foodie in me is always curious as to new or old ways people are serving and eating the dogs.

Personally I like mine best two ways. I like a steamed all beef dog with natural casing, topped with chopped onions, Coney Island sauce, maybe some sauerkraut, and a spicy brown mustard that has a good horseradish kick to it. Recently I tried a Chicago style dog and really like them. They are a all beef dog on a poppy seed bun, topped with relish, sport peppers, dill pickle spear, yellow mustard, and tomato slices. I also really love a good corn dog. It is hard to find one made right. They have to be made with a batter that is basically the same as you would use to make hush puppies with. A lot of corn dogs taste like they have just been dipped in pancake batter. Which are not bad if made right, but they are called Cozy Dogs and originated at a joint near me.

I like a Carolina style dog with chili, slaw, onions and mustard.

But man, the Chicago style is just phenomenal, with the neon green relish, tomato slices, sport peppers, celery seed, etc. A deli across the street from my office opened by Chicago transplants sells them like that, so I think lunch today has just been decided!

Hebrew National all beef dog, ketchup, classic yellow mustard, relish

I like it basically same, but with addition of garlic and chili. And I alternate between traditional yellow mustard and Dijon mustard.

(forgot chili)

Edited by Sardaukar

Hebrew National all beef dog, ketchup, classic yellow mustard, relish

I like it basically same, but with addition of garlic. And I alternate between traditional yellow mustard and Dijon mustard.

Occasionally, I do the same.

Flatulence free?

Hotdogs I typically eat in a bun with ketchup (is bun the correct word btw?)

Beer sausage, pretty much like they are, with beer of course

/R

Yep bun is correct. Richard when you say beer sausage, are those made with beer, or meant to be eaten while drinking beer, or both?

It's probably not called that in English, bier banger, beer banger? Up here it's an often dried sausage that's eaten as a snack. Some German och Tiroler should be able to help me out here perhaps...

Need... sleep....soon..... hate.... SQL....

/R

Prefer with casing as the texture and "pop" when I bite into it is a nice sensation. Over here, default is ketchup and mayo. I am not too fond of mayo (heresy for the Ordinary Regular Swedish Meal Time crew I know :D ), so I have mine done with ketchup and lots of mustard (usually yellow is what they serve). If the vendor has other toppings, I choose pickle relish and onions (some have cucumber - no thank you). No cheese, please. Cheese and mayo IMO ruin a good hotdog/sausage sandwich. If there's chili con carne, I'd like that too with mustard. Bacon wrapped is another favourite - of course, it's bacon!

As for the bun, I prefer soft and slightly toasted. Haven't eaten a "proper" Chicago (i.e. with sesame bun).

Ditto on corn dog, very difficult to find a good one, especially over here. I remember in one event, they were selling real corn dogs, i.e. using corn flour or whatever. Most common corn dogs here are simply bread with the hotdog inside. I like the grittiness that cornmeal provide, one that I expect in a properly made corndog.

Lately its been a bratwurst in a whole-wheat bun, toasted. Can dress with ground black pepper, or a combo of pepper and a swipe of crushed garlic.

If I'm out at the ballpark or whatever, give me a toasted bun and topped with:

- sauerkraut & a line of mustard

- chili, no cheese

- pickle relish

- just mustard, preferably brown or coarse ground

Hard to find a good corn dog anywhere these days, but nothing beats a good corndog (meaning a lot of dog and not too much cornmeal batter) with a swipe of brown mustard.

Hotdogs have become America's traditional "festival food", found universally at baseball parks, fairs, etc. If you can have a dog and a beer for lunch, you are probably having a pretty good day.

I love chili, cheese and fresh onions on my dog. Sometimes i like it on a Polish sausage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_dog_stand

Funny thing is I've been to every one of the hot dog stands pictured that are in California. :)

Edited by EvanDP

A traditional "Detroit Coney Island Hot Dog" for me. A steamed bun, natural casing hotdog with lots of mustard, onions and extra chili. I need nothing more, other than a couple more after the first one goes down my gullet.

Had a bacondog with ketchup and mustard yesterday. The beef franks and polish sausages were still uncooked, and so that limited the choices to hotdog, bacon-wrapped hotdog, and bacon-wrapped cheesedog, so had the bacon-wrapped hotdog instead. Hotdogs from that stand are so-so though.

Damn, this thread makes me want to go to the mall and get a Schublig or Hungarian with toasted bun and lots of onions, mustard, and pickle relish. Pricey but yummy.

There is a famous chili parlor in my city called The Den or Joe Rodgers Chili Parlor (its a long story why it has two names). The way they make their chili is to make the meat with spices separate from the beans, which are both separate from the chili oil they use to make it very spicy. So you can get chili with or with out beans, and mild to very spicy. A bi-product of this is that they use the spiced minced hamburger to top their chili dogs, and they are absolutely delicious. They don't just top it, it is more of a mound.