Elections, Elections, Elections

BansheeOne

She could keep the UK out of Eurolala. There was little she could do about Germany. She did understand that Germany would come to dominate Eurolala due to the inherent laziness of the French and the industry of Germany. A unified Germany would give it the mass it had previously had to again dominate continental Europe as it had from the late 19th Century. This polarization is inherently unstable as a federation.

Simon

ETA:- She was against the political agenda of the European Union. The EEC as a trading framework worked well. It did what it was intended for, enabling trade and commerce within Europe. Expansion of the EEC should have been the objective....but the Franco-German plan for de facto hegemony over the small, the weak and the inept was too attractive to those who wanted to be accepted into 'the club'.

Edited by Simon Tan

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, its all rather academic now because I think Europe is about to implode. The worst thing about it is the continual crowing about it being a bad thing, I would have though Americans in particular would have been delighted with any institution designed to stop Europe fighting against itself?

Gaze back through history, can you name one program, treaty, or institution short of genocide, that was designed to ensure perpetual peace and tranquility that has accomplished that goal? Hubris to think this treaty or that will finally defy all that was before, and deny that humans are essentially pack animals (tribes), and that you can force people to act how you desire they act with the wave of a piece of paper.

As for European infighting, most Americans wouldn't give a tinkers damn.

Nuclear weapons have been mankind's most significant contribution to peace.

Nuclear weapons have been mankind's most significant contribution to peace.

I'm not sure, but I don't think nukes were ever designed to bring perpetual peace. Actually, they're more on the line of, "Fuck with us, we'll commence some genocide on you." Sure enough, you have a gun put to your head you might think about being peaceful. Still, I think the last 70 years, with the US being a nuclear power, is testament that being a nuclear power does not bring peace. Certainly the Korean War, Vietnam War, Dominican Republic expedition, Grenada, Panama, ODS, Somalia, OIF, and Afghanistan belie the notion nukes bring peace. Actually, come to think about it, many of the world might argue that far frome being peaceful, nukes have allowed nuclear powers to act with a bit of impunity.

The advent of nukes forced the West and eastern bloc to conduct a war of proxy against each other. A similar situation is happening in Kashmir between Pakistan and India. So one could be correct in stating that nukes prevent all out total warfare, but may in fact encourage war by other means.

Which clearly suits those In Britain who think turning things back to 1950 or so will put everything right.

Nonsense, turn it back to 1900. Thats when you lot had things running like a top.

Totalkrieg becomes totaltodt....:P (No doubt Banshee will come and chide me on my mauling of his language. Tis not German but pigdin)

Nonetheless, I am utterly correct in proposing a military coup for Greece. Good for everyone.

Macedonians couldn't turn it around, Romans couldn't turn it around, Ottomans, Germans, ... ^_^

The only time Greece kicked butt was when it had one or more serious existential enemies on the horizon. Classical Greece, Hellenistic Greece, Byzantine Empire.

The mistake is to expect the Greek military to turn the country around. That is not the point at all. It is so that they can be kicked out of Europe for being a scuzzy junta. After all, you are not going to go to war with a NATO partner just because they are a junta. They have been before. No war = no collecting debt= excuse to wite stuff off. In the interim, the Greek 1% will work with the junta to suppress the Greeks who are confused about their place in life. Greece finds its new equilibrium...millions more apply to go to Oz.

It does not matter how bad Greece gets. It is expendable.

The advent of nukes forced the West and eastern bloc to conduct a war of proxy against each other. A similar situation is happening in Kashmir between Pakistan and India. So one could be correct in stating that nukes prevent all out total warfare, but may in fact encourage war by other means.

Yes, but when was the last 70 year period in which the major powers didn't wage open war among themselves? We should be grateful that Afghanistan, Vietnam and Korea were the hottest the Cold War ever became.

Totalkrieg becomes totaltodt.... :P (No doubt Banshee will come and chide me on my mauling of his language. Tis not German but pigdin)

Nonetheless, I am utterly correct in proposing a military coup for Greece. Good for everyone.

The Turks have better ambitions than a land of mountains, goats and the unemployed.

Edited by Typhoid Maxx

An external military coup - an unexpected, highly successful operation - is possible by definition.

Coup d'état or a putsch implies strictly internal. My point being that the only coup, possible though unlikely, would be Turkey doing a whole scale North Cyprus.

Internally, the Greek army, martial law? Pah, half would join the demonstrators, and the Generals don't trust each other.

And also - Not worthy? Nope, but then Kosovo and Bosnia was smart real estate investment :P

Edited by Typhoid Maxx

All the Europeans and all their noble intentions.....could not put Greece back together again. The taps have been turned off. This is when panic and desperation sets in. Hurry, hurry, beak out the ammunition. There is no government, no decision can be made, the uncertainty snowballs. Tanks.....we need tanks....

I'm sensing a slightly non positive attitude towards the Hellenic...ish. Slightly.

Would the Germans pay for it....hmmmmmmm...depends, and depends on who they have available to deal with. If it saves the EU from another EULEX type mission ala Kosovo to help maintain stability, or another KFOR or SFOR (snigger), then perhaps yes.

But even the above are better than a ruined country in Europe with a wide diaspora network everywhere.

You'd end up with more Greeks in Munich, Berlin, Amsterdam, Paris & London than Poles or Albanians.

You came to zeee Balkans...now the Balkans is coming to YOU :P

Man, what a vipers nest. Even back in the early 90's I thought the West was nuts in getting involved. Other than Hungary - sort of - and Slovania - more so - not much you can really do with the place.

Hell, not much worth shit to a foreigner.

Well, I hear tell there are Western weirdos with a thing for goats...

You came to zeee Balkans...now the Balkans is coming to YOU :P

Son, the balkans is and has always been the butthole of Europe, scratching it and your hand will have a funny smell that cannot be washed away with ordinary soap. ;)

Pops, its my former and some time stomping ground, though its been a jigger over three years now.... I was bred and raised there, and raised well by the standards of....my peers...whats everybody else's excuse?

Ahhh...why send Germans when you can recruit nutters, cutthroats and desperados from the traditional area and who communicate well with the Greeks? I speak of the folk of the former Militargrenz. They don't need to actually invade Greece, merely contain it.

The more things change, the less they do. No tiger cubs, please.

A Finn has never met liquor he did not like.

ETA:- The saddest thing is that any of this is better than the notlosung(again my apologies to banshee) being inflicted. Not so much for the Greeks, but rather the poor German taxpayer who blew through billions in a useless bailout.

Edited by Simon Tan

"Militargrenz, No tiger cubs" What, what?!?!?!?

If your thinking of the locals as in my lot and neighbors, ROFLMAO!!! The idea is....utterly utterly insane and devoid of reality. A ) we disagree with ourselves b ) every body else.

No more a corrupt area in the Universe. It'd be cheaper just to allocate each number of Greeks per national quota of EU.

HINT: Afghan Heroin hitting London comes through Turkey, then probably Kosovo... Cocaine hits from Columbia via Montenegro to elsewhere, including Belgrade...Belgrade/Serbia sends laboratory grade Crystal meth, E, Speed & Coke for a straight swap with Prishtina/Kosovo for Heroin...Nationalist War Leaders are connected.

Hell, Serbia was selling arms to Croatia during the war in Croatia against the local Serbs and Serbian/JNA Army.

Borders here serve as a...well, unofficial toll booth.