Elections, Elections, Elections

BansheeOne

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, sunday said:

Shall we remember again the unreliability and partisanship of Wikipedia, especially when articles have relations to current politics?

👍

Not to mention the fanatics who go to extreme lengths to protect "their" page(s) which contain misinformation, incorrect data, and downright lies. In my area of interest: lots of history related pages.

--
Leo

25 minutes ago, Leo Niehorster said:

👍

Not to mention the fanatics who go to extreme lengths to protect "their" page(s) which contain misinformation, incorrect data, and downright lies. In my area of interest: lots of history related pages.

--
Leo

Wikipedia in Spanish is worse still, even in technical matters, up to the point that usually, when searching for a translation, I assume wikipedia articles are wrong, and I go looking for web pages of manufacturers, better if based in some country where the target language is spoken.

• 2 weeks later...

As my relatives from France explained to me - thing with LePen is that no matter how much a lot of French like idea of dropping NATO and some other parts of program, they dislike closet (or not so closet) fascist like LePen even more. Hence LePen will always be a runner up and always lose with not insignificant difference in second turn, because a lot of voters will close their noses, forget ideological difference with Chirac/Makron/Sarkozy/whoevere and vote against LePen.

Edited by bojan

Showing up repeatedly on my solitaire game is a Spanish language  ad for a Nevada dem woman Pol who's name escapes me. Vote for her to protect the progress the democrats have made.

Catherine Cortes Masto is her name

Edited by NickM

I've become so dissatisfied with Boris that I may even vote in the local elections for the first time since 2002. I worked it out that due to inflation, tax rises and fuel bills going up that i'm £1200 worse off than this time last year.

On 4/25/2022 at 11:18 AM, bojan said:

As my relatives from France explained to me - thing with LePen is that no matter how much a lot of French like idea of dropping NATO and some other parts of program, they dislike closet (or not so closet) fascist like LePen even more. Hence LePen will always be a runner up and always lose with not insignificant difference in second turn, because a lot of voters will close their noses, forget ideological difference with Chirac/Makron/Sarkozy/whoevere and vote against LePen.

I read that LePen is reframing it as a type of victory, since her party is increasing its margin.  

French presidential election is giving me flashbacks

Thursday was an election day in the UK with local council elections (call it second tier government) in approx. 1/3 of councils, all of Scotland and the National Assembly in Northern Ireland.

I know nothing of Scottish politics and find NI political parties a dark farce, so won't attempt comments on those.

With most English results in, the Tories have lost several hundred council seats, with Labour gaining a few tens. The biggest winners are the Liberal Democrats, with the Greens second.

Translated into council control things are different, with Labour gaining a handful, the Tories losing 10 or so, the LDs picking up 3 and a couple ending in no overall control.

The local elections are a mixed bag. They tend to be treated as a litmus test for the national government's popularity, with the incumbent party often suffering heavily as people grow weary of the incumbents in Westminster. This appears to be the case here. People have, it seems protested against the unsavoury Tories (it's easy to protest Partygate by voting in the relatively consequence free locals and remaining party loyal at General elections).

There is a slight difference. The transfer has not been so much towards Labour as away from Tory, which suggests to me that Starmer's apparent hypocrisy over demanding Johnson's resignation whilst apparently being also guilty of illegal partying has carried some weight, with the Lib Dems being far too Puritanical to break the law being the beneficiaries. The beige shall inherit the Earth.

On 5/12/2022 at 9:57 AM, JWB said:

Michigan Republican who shared antisemitic posts and rape comments loses safe election seat.

Michigan Republican who shared antisemitic posts and rape comments loses safe election seat - Jewish Telegraphic Agency (jta.org)

He kinda has that . . . face of someone with opinions like that. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am amused that the selected font size for the "Opinion" line at the top of the article is so small. More generally find myself continually disappointed with news sites' inability to clearly distinguish between reporting and opinion, and in this case the size of the "opinion" word almost hides that this article is not supposed to reflect an editorial position for Fox News.

In the UK (with which news sites I am most familiar) The Guardian clearly highlights opinion with both the banner text and its colour (orange/yellow rather than blue) and shows its bias primarily in the range of opinion pieces it prints, rather than by openly absorbing the opinion into the reporting articles Subconscious bias in "news" pieces is a different but also troubling matter, and seems to be endemic in new reporting across the board.

Historically, The Daily Telegraph used to produce good quality factual reporting and also clearly separated the opinion pieces, the editorial opinion and the factual articles. The editorial bias showed in which pieces of news were being reported, and not so much in the spinning of the content of those stories. Now, the opinion saturates the facts and all subtlety be damned. Ever reporter now has an agenda, and they don't bother to conceal it.

4 hours ago, DB said:

I am amused that the selected font size for the "Opinion" line at the top of the article is so small. More generally find myself continually disappointed with news sites' inability to clearly distinguish between reporting and opinion, and in this case the size of the "opinion" word almost hides that this article is not supposed to reflect an editorial position for Fox News.

In the UK (with which news sites I am most familiar) The Guardian clearly highlights opinion with both the banner text and its colour (orange/yellow rather than blue) and shows its bias primarily in the range of opinion pieces it prints, rather than by openly absorbing the opinion into the reporting articles Subconscious bias in "news" pieces is a different but also troubling matter, and seems to be endemic in new reporting across the board.

Historically, The Daily Telegraph used to produce good quality factual reporting and also clearly separated the opinion pieces, the editorial opinion and the factual articles. The editorial bias showed in which pieces of news were being reported, and not so much in the spinning of the content of those stories. Now, the opinion saturates the facts and all subtlety be damned. Ever reporter now has an agenda, and they don't bother to conceal it.

If you don't go to the article directly, you need to click on "Opinion" on the Fox News home page, so it's status isn't quite as obscured as it might seem.  The rest of your post is spot on.

• 3 weeks later...