Now That's A Main Gun...xm291 In 155Mm

bigfngun

I used Proquest to look at some transcripts from Congressional Hearings in 1991 on the USArmy's ASM program.

Found this on the Advanced Tank Cannon:

April 16, 1991 before the Senate Subcommittee on Defense Appropriations:

"The Advanced Tank Cannon System (ATACS)...It will be able to fire the 120mm munitions, as well as the new, much more lethal 140mm munitions...In addition, it can even adjust to a 155mm munition...added benefit of being capable of accomodating redesign to Electrothermal-Chemical(ETC)..."

I miss the Cold War.

Hi Ken, good to hear from you! Sorry, I had not read Hunnicutt's Firepower yet. :D What I meant by posting this info was to show various plans that existed for the XM291 and the ASM in general. Wasn't trying to say anything more.

As an indicator of what one could do with 155mm back in 1946-50, I have these from army Ord Dept files [1952]:

For the T-58 [155mm T7 on M103 hull]: 1000yds 0 55 60deg. 2000 yds 0 55 60

T152 HEP 2600 fps 75lb 7 7 7 7 7 7 inches

T267 HEAT 2800 75 16 9.2 8 16 9.2 8

It could also use the M112 AP, perhaps the one used in the M40 SPG: 6" at 30 deg 1000 yds [Hunnicutt]

"The ballistic performance of shot, HVAP, 155mm, T35E1 would be less than either the corresponding HEP or HEAT rounds. Therefore, due to the necessity of having a large tungsten carbide core in the HVAP round it would be more economical to use the HEP and HEAT rounds as the Armor Piercing type rounds for the 155mm guns."

Over a year ago, we wondered on some thread when the US changed to metrics. I still have no precise answer, but Ordnance files show the metric shift as part of the M48A3 and M103A2 conversion programs, so it must be the M60 series tanks that introduce it for AFVs at least, so somewhere 1958-60 is my guess for now.

I'm an ASM program junkie Ken. As you know, you were the man in getting that NPS paper declassed. Love researching it.
Which NPS paper if you don't mind me asking?

A HISTORICAL SUMMARY OF THE ARMORED SYSTEMS

MODERNIZATION PROGRAM AND THE LESSONS

LEARNED FROM ITS INTERACTION WITH THE·

ACQUISITION ENVIRONMENT

A 1992 NPGS thesis by an army Capt. Ross D. Boelke, who last time I checked was a DOD guy.

Shoot me an e-mail and I'll send a copy.