Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim

Mr King

Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim comes out in 8 days. I for one am very excited. The graphics look stunning, but more importantly the game play changes look even better. With Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Fallout New Vegas all being great games I hope Skyrim will be the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic6dKnv3WdU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG4S-SCWfyM

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking forward to this one too, but my only real concern is how much they've improved the storytelling and dialogue.

Oblivion was - let's be honest - pretty awful in that area by modern RPG standards, and while Fallout 3 was a significant improvement, it still had problems because of way too much generic content. (90% of the vaults were identical, 99% of the raiders were the same, the entire huge Rivet City had like 2 or 3 real quests associated with it, most of DC was a pointless maze of subway stations...)

New Vegas, which fixed a lot of those problems, was made by a different studio, Obsidian.

I'm going to be waiting on this one to see how it turns out. I bought Oblivion during the Steam sale last year and couldn't get into it. After playing a game like Mount & Blade, the combat system in Oblivion was too simplistic and boring (in particular archery, which is what I gravitate towards in fantasy games). From what I've seen of Skyrim it looks to be more of the same.

How things go with WoT will determine when I play Skyrim, but I will eventually get to it. I played Fallout 3 well after it was released along the main quest line, then played it again in its entirety. I had so much fun I broke down and bought Oblivion with DLC and played it all, maybe 400 hours worth (great value for $30 goty when I got it). Even though the engine/interface were a slight step backward I really ended up enjoying it. Then I got all the FO3 DLC and played through it all.

I played New Vegas about a year ago and just got to the strip and my computer died, played again and got further with rebuilt computer and then I started on WoT. I bought the NV DLC over the summer when it was on sale and just fired it up for the first time last weekend, it felt like I was cheating on my baby! When I can bring myself to finish NV I'll get Skyrim. If it weren't for WoT I'd be a day 1 purchaser.

How things go with WoT will determine when I play Skyrim, but I will eventually get to it. I played Fallout 3 well after it was released along the main quest line, then played it again in its entirety. I had so much fun I broke down and bought Oblivion with DLC and played it all, maybe 400 hours worth (great value for $30 goty when I got it). Even though the engine/interface were a slight step backward I really ended up enjoying it. Then I got all the FO3 DLC and played through it all.

I played New Vegas about a year ago and just got to the strip and my computer died, played again and got further with rebuilt computer and then I started on WoT. I bought the NV DLC over the summer when it was on sale and just fired it up for the first time last weekend, it felt like I was cheating on my baby! When I can bring myself to finish NV I'll get Skyrim. If it weren't for WoT I'd be a day 1 purchaser.

Do you play on PC? If so you should check out the various Nexus websites that host mods for the games. The modding community is very strong and adds so much content and diversity to the games. I agree with Matt though that Bethesda does have a tenancy to shove a lot of generic content into the games but I still find them enjoyable, even more so thanks to the modding communities.

I never got around to finish Oblivion, hated the leveling up of enemies to match your own level.

I hope this one is different. I wonder if my 4 year old laptop can ran it though.

Have been thinking which shooter to get, but since I rarely get much time for MP, Skyrim will be my next game now that I've finished Deus Ex.

I enjoyed Oblivion, so I guess this will not be worse, no?

Well everyone has their fingers crossed that it will correct a lot of things where Oblivion went wrong and add completely new game play features on top of it. There have been some leaked XBOX versions floating around. I have not watched any of the streams people put up of them playing, but I have read a lot of the basic feed back from people who have and Bethesda has seemed to really hit the nail on the head.

I never got around to finish Oblivion, hated the leveling up of enemies to match your own level.

I hope this one is different. I wonder if my 4 year old laptop can ran it though.

From what I have read and seen in interviews with producer Todd Howard the leveling system is the best of both Fallout and Oblivion. Once you go into a dungeon enemies lock to your level. So if you cant defeat them upon first encounter, when you reach a higher level you can come back and crush em. While some areas of the game have enemies that have a preset level and they are much higher then your starting level. So you cant just beat everything at level one like you could in Oblivion.

It was kind of funny to meet highway-robbers in glass-armour and weapons more worth than stuff in the wealthiest store in town. Perhaps you were to imagine they were all eccentric rich people, doing the robbing for fun. :)

I have now downloaded Skyrim from Steam. I hope it will be playable tomorrow when it is released. First time I buy I game like this before release...

Pre downloaded Skyrim yesterday and was under the impression it would release on midnight. I did not :(

Fiddled a bit with it before work today and it looks good, some problems with voice sound so you can't hear sh** when looking directly at people, but it seems there are fixes for that.

I enjoyed Oblivion a LOT, except for the leveling of foes to match your level. That and the fact that NPCs did not level made the main quest pretty dull. Shivering isles was super imho.

/R - in for a heck of a weekend, almost no hockey and skyrim AND bf3 :D

Been playing it on and off since it decrypted at 11pm last night. I am having a really good time. The improved interface really makes a difference in play. I have not run into any real serious bugs. Just two involving keyboard mapping.

Just a note of warning guys, Valve has been hacked and card info might have been compromised.

I should know more when I go back to work on Monday, but I would monitor your card statements if I were you.

BBC article

Hackers could use the card date months after the hacking takes place. Oh its going to be an interesting day at the office on Monday -_-

I'm looking forward to this one too, but my only real concern is how much they've improved the storytelling and dialogue.

This is one aspect where the game falls below Bioware's standard. I've only played for a few hours but have had several conversations with the backs (or ass if they're up some stairs) of NPCs. Annoying, but not game-breaking (for myself at least). It would've been nice if they made it so an NPC at least always turns towards you (it's not an MMO, there's not other players interacting with the NPC).

Someone put it best when they said Bethesda does the open world/sandbox thing best, while Bioware does the dialogue/story thing best. If only the two could be combined, what an awesome game that would be. :D In the four or so hours I've been playing I've spent a good chunk of that just roaming around looking at the world. I foresee lots of hours being spent in Skyrim (and less in WoT).

Just a note of warning guys, Valve has been hacked and card info might have been compromised.

I should know more when I go back to work on Monday, but I would monitor your card statements if I were you.

BBC article

Hackers could use the card date months after the hacking takes place. Oh its going to be an interesting day at the office on Monday -_-

and Steam as well

Great game so far, I like the changes they've made. The world isn't as packed with ruins and dungeons as Oblivion's or Fallout 3's, but the quality of the individual locations you'll visit is much higher, there's a fuckload of side quests and side story lines, and the NPCs have gotten more interesting.

That said, the leveling and difficulty scaling, while much improved, is still something of a mess. I'm very much the explorer when it comes to games like this - leave no stone unturned, no lock unpicked, rifle through all the containers, read all the books, pick ingredients, mine ore, brew some potions, make some armor. This has the effect of increasing your level really fast and making the enemies tougher, but since you're not improving your combat skills as much, your character ends up being pretty weak in relative terms. (things quickly go way beyond making encounters challenging, and right into the "drink ten potion to survive a fight with a bandit boss" zone)

Great game so far, I like the changes they've made. The world isn't as packed with ruins and dungeons as Oblivion's or Fallout 3's, but the quality of the individual locations you'll visit is much higher, there's a fuckload of side quests and side story lines, and the NPCs have gotten more interesting.

I'm curious from folks who have played far more than I am whether these more interesting locations are unique, or if Skyrim does (what too many games do) and just reuses models/layouts/etc? I've played for about 10h total, but half of that was just screwing around, learning mechanics, testing controls, etc. I'm now level 6 and leaving that first small village and hopeful that the rest of the world is as unique and in-depth as this starter area has been (which, as I mentioned, isn't often the case).

I'm curious from folks who have played far more than I am whether these more interesting locations are unique, or if Skyrim does (what too many games do) and just reuses models/layouts/etc? I've played for about 10h total, but half of that was just screwing around, learning mechanics, testing controls, etc. I'm now level 6 and leaving that first small village and hopeful that the rest of the world is as unique and in-depth as this starter area has been (which, as I mentioned, isn't often the case).

Aside from the starting village, I've been to two major cities and one town, a mountaintop monastery, as well as several ruins, caves, dungeons, bandit forts, etc., and there's not been a lot of repetition - by video game standards, anyway. Some stuff does get recycled - certain architectural elements in dungeons, some of the smaller buildings - but most have (at the very least) some minor details to make them more interesting, and the major locations feature tons of unique stuff.

In terms of variety, this game is to Oblivion what Fallout: New Vegas was to Fallout 3, only even more so.

Great to hear!

On a different note, I was just reading a gaming blog commenting how a game like Skyrim feels more 'alive' than MMOS like WoW or TOR. :lol:

I'll play The Witcher II before I get to Skyrim and I'll finish The Witcher before I play the II and when I'll get to that I have no idea.

I didn't even play New Vegas though I loved FO3.

I really am loving the sword play. It feels like I am really in a fight with a opponent. The enemy AI has been improved quite a bit and I have ran into some very challenging encounters.

I have had two companions die on me so far. I think Bethesda nuked the companions compared to Fallout. Its not perfect but it does feel a little more balanced.

Skywalkr I have about 30 hours in the game so far. Matt is right about the leap in variety. Plus it seems like more of the dungeons have boss fights, where in Oblivion you just ran through dungeons clearing them of what ever type of basic mobs Bethesda had filled it with.

OK guys, what weapons do you use?

I prefer steel mace in right hand and fire in left for most combat. Bow and arrows when a bit away.

How do you kill dragons?? I am level 8, and putting 10 arrows into one does not make much damage. Going toe-to-toe with one renders sweet cut-scene of me being bitten in half, but no cigarr.

Must I wait going after dragons at my current level? Or are there any tricks to it?