• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Simon Tan said:

What are they buying auto shotguns for? 

Were you in a coma last year? Record-setting numbers of first-time gun buyers. They ain't worried about deer.

For quite awhile it was the only kind of ammo on the shelves. As shotty sales have increased, that is drying up, though still pretty available online (increasingly pricy, though).

2 hours ago, Simon Tan said:

5.56 is starting to flow. Lots of Russian steel case. 

5.56 and 9x19 has always been available. Only online, and you have to invest some time every day on AmmoSeek. But when I've had the cash, the longest its taken me to get a visit from the Big Brown Truck has been about 3 weeks (don't talk to me about .380, the Illuminati must be involved).

You're right, though. The Rooskies have opened the floodgates on their steel case fodder. I wish that would take demand pressure off M193 and the boutique stuff like Gold Dot, but that ain't gonna happen. Ammo fabs have standing orders through something like 2024.

IMI is pushing a lot of 5.56 to the US. I've picked up a round or two of IMI's M193 load.

Strangely, for no reason I can think of, Sierra is putting out their 55 grain BlitzKing .223 load (in nickel cases, no less!). 200 rd boxes. Becomes available every 2 or 3 months. Price per round is very reasonable, considering the going rate for M193.

I have to buy retail, a box or two at a time.  I've only seen Tula .223 in Nashville.  Here in Alabama, 9mm is very hard to find, upwards of $25/box for 115gr ball.

7.62x39 is $8-12/box, and .223 is around $13.00

.38 ball is very hard to find.

Can you imagine that there was bidding up on Remington junk over the last year based on its bankruptcy? That was an engineered outcome designed to deep six the 'investors' of the Freedom Group by Remington management. That is why they could not give a shit about poor quality and junk products, and why it has whipped back into business as soon as the assets were sold off. 

I still would not buy an 870 Express or any of their dinosaur products. Ruger and Savage are much more interesting. If flawed.

On 6/3/2021 at 6:16 AM, Simon Tan said:

Does anyone have a WAG what the distribution of different types of shotguns in the US looks like?

My "not a statistically valid sample" experience when I was buying last fall: everything going across the counter was pump or semiauto

• doubles were permanently out of stock (but they're mostly from one manufacturer), and this is still true
  • Mossberg pumps were scarce, but you could still pick up Winchester and Benelli.  Mossberg availability has improved since then.
  • Semiautos were available and seemed more popular than pumps

As has already been mentioned, last fall shotgun ammunition was the only ammunition readily available.  Stocks went down, but didn't seem to go completely out the way everything else did.  At one point the only rifle ammo listed as "in stock" at a local big box sporting goods store was .416 Rigby.

41 minutes ago, CaptLuke said:

At one point the only rifle ammo listed as "in stock" at a local big box sporting goods store was .416 Rigby.

That will teach those Cape buffalo intent on USA home invasion...

Now please do not tell me they were only available as softpoints!

Edited by sunday

6 hours ago, Simon Tan said:

Why would you want .416 Rigby FMJ? 

.416 Rigby is excellent for use in built up areas for barrier defeat. I recommended bonded core. 

Not FMJ. Solids!

Preparing for the United States of Africa in America 😁

This is the year 2021. If you think nyati is the threat to CONUS, you obviously haven't watched Tremors.

In the eyes of this self proclaimed armchair non-expert, between a .458 Winchester Magnum, and a .416 Rigby, I think the later wins. Perhaps not by much.

.458WM is much more practical. Just need to find a bolt-action in any of the long mags, from 7mm RM up through .338 WM, swap in a .458 barrel, have a decent gunsmith massage the magazine feed lips as needed, go hunting pachyderms, velociraptors, whatever.

For every action long enough for the Rigby, there are about 1000 actions long enough for the .458.

12 hours ago, bojan said:

aP4jgsV.jpg

:D :D :D

Who should we believe? A journalist, or some Internet rando?

I'm just impressed that the image uses the term magazine rather than clip.

It was nice to see the South Australian (a state of Australia - South Australia), test firing a seized Owen gun.  The weapon for legal reasons, had to be shown to be capable of firing, as it is alleged that it was to be used in an attempted mass killing.   The Courts here would need to accept that the weapon was capable of what the police allege it could do, and obviously it was.

I suspect that the officer firing the weapon may have been ex military, as he has good control of the weapon and carried out the correct end of firing clearing.

Of course the article is about our national broadcaster complaining that someone may have been shooting at its logo. 

Tough.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/abc-logo-used-at-police-shooting-range-in-south-australia-20210609-p57zlu.html#comments

If you cannot see the video at the above link check

https://amp.watoday.com.au/national/abc-logo-used-at-police-shooting-range-in-south-australia-20210609-p57zlu.html

Edited by DougRichards
another link

Unless the ABC logo is a man-sized silhouette, I can't see what they can be complaining about - all the bullet holes seemed to be in that and you can't even see the ABC logo where the man is shooting. This is a fairly desperate attempt to manufacture outrage.

More information: it looks like the stock has been significantly shortened.  That the police officer managed it so well in that condition is a credit to him.  But he was shooting at short range.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-09/afp-operation-spoiled-machine-gun-norwood-cafe-murder-plot/100200142

26 minutes ago, DougRichards said:

More information: it looks like the stock has been significantly shortened.  That the police officer managed it so well in that condition is a credit to him.  But he was shooting at short range.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-09/afp-operation-spoiled-machine-gun-norwood-cafe-murder-plot/100200142

Even with a shortened stock, I'd like to see someone trying to conceal an Owen...'Are you THAT glad to see me?'