Firearms of note and ridicule

rmgill

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In the Jimmy Stewart film Flight of the Pheonix, they're using a cartidge starter to start the radial engine of their home built airplane.  Of course, they have a limited number of cartidges and after misfires etc. are down to their last one when they get the engine running.

8 hours ago, R011 said:

In the Jimmy Stewart film Flight of the Pheonix, they're using a cartidge starter to start the radial engine of their home built airplane.  Of course, they have a limited number of cartidges and after misfires etc. are down to their last one when they get the engine running.

I was going to try to find and link video of that scene, but Ryan posted the Wildcat start.

• 3 weeks later...

Reliabilty myth busted? Text article from Forgotten Weapons

The Lahti L35 in Soviet Testing – Forgotten Weapons

"The 1941 tests showed that Lahti was, in fact, not very reliable by Soviet standards. In total, there were eight steps in the program of this part of the tests."

Edited by shep854

What in heaven's name is this? Apparently Turkish military. Cropped from a larger pic where this guy was standing next to a ordinary-looking trooper at a sand-bagged sentry post.

WTF?.jpg

Told you that it was better military rifle than (overrated) FAL:

What they noted about sights is 1:1 what was noted after local tests of G3 (and in 7.62x39mm, so rifle as it should be :) ). Very, very good sight design for combat applications. Pity it was copyrighted by H&K. :(

Edited by bojan

44 minutes ago, Markus Becker said:

Or 5.56 for us capitalists. 

5.56 sometimes has problems with delayed blowback due the higher pressures involved. G3 predecessor was made around intermediate ammo, and both FAL and CETME/G3 would have benefited a lot if they have stayed that way. Alas US decided on 7.62x51, British bowed their heads and rest is a history.

6 minutes ago, bojan said:

5.56 sometimes has problems with delayed blowback due the higher pressures involved. 

A small challenge for ze zuperior German engineering but a lot of weight off the shoulders of draftees(like me). If I had gotten the opportunity to shoot it frequently I might have a more positive view but I didn't so this boat anchor should have been lost in an accident. 

On 4/9/2021 at 11:13 PM, bojan said:

5.56 sometimes has problems with delayed blowback due the higher pressures involved. G3 predecessor was made around intermediate ammo, and both FAL and CETME/G3 would have benefited a lot if they have stayed that way. Alas US decided on 7.62x51, British bowed their heads and rest is a history.

Just one of the many cases where the US is not to be relied upon in "cooperative" agreements.

Well, it was cooperative in the end, everyone cooperated in adopting 7.62x51.

US government and US Army brass should not be let within miles of any small arms research... :(