Firearms of note and ridicule

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

People liked those CavArms receivers.

As for the War, I'm not feeling overly conciliatory of late. War of Values Normalization seems more appropriate. Of course, where I live, the War won't get within 50 miles. In reality I'm preparing for the war after next.

They make sense mainly from a weight perspective. Vanilla ARs are so affordable there is no really good reason not to use them. I Like a slightly shorter than A1 stock.

I am considering replacing the telestock on my new AR with a plain ol' A1.Brownells has one but it may be pretty fragile. Otherwise have not found an A1 in stock.

Magpul MOE Carbine fixed stock. 12.2" LOP.

Yeah, I've got one on order. Downside to a more reasonable LOP is the mil-spec grip angle is too much, but the aftermarket grip I want (Daniel Defense with the integral trigger guard) is sold out through the next millennium apparently.

A while back, Karl and Ian took a survey of where competitors set their AR adjustable stocks, and found they were just about all at A1 length. With that information, the LOP of the new polymer is designed to mimic the A1.

On my S&W Sport II, I keep the stock three stops out.

Back in the day, I believe a lot of the telestock mindset came from the old PASGT vest that added much thincness to the shoulder pocket.

My own mindset these days is to avoid falling into the trap of square range thinking when contemplating the AR. The primary purpose of my ARs is to win the 10-25 yard gunfight, in extremis. Shorter LOP reduces the risk of having a fail when shouldering the rifle.

Back in the day, I believe a lot of the telestock mindset came from the old PASGT vest that added much thincness to the shoulder pocket.

My own mindset these days is to avoid falling into the trap of square range thinking when contemplating the AR. The primary purpose of my ARs is to win the 10-25 yard gunfight, in extremis. Shorter LOP reduces the risk of having a fail when shouldering the rifle.

The longer A2 stock was for traditional marksmanship, without gear or armor; the original collapsible stock was for stowed compactness only, with two positions. Finding the collapsed position useful for armor or gear was pure serendipity; it didn't take long to include intermediate settings.

As truly bulletproof armor became widespread, the shooting stance became more squared toward the opponent, making the shorter settings even more practical.

The longer A2 stock was for traditional marksmanship, without gear or armor; the original collapsible stock was for stowed compactness only, with two positions. Finding the collapsed position useful for armor or gear was pure serendipity; it didn't take long to include intermediate settings.

As truly bulletproof armor became widespread, the shooting stance became more squared toward the opponent, making the shorter settings even more practical.

My match uppers are setup with fixed A2 stocks, with the caveat that they are CMP/NRA hi power rifles. The longer stock is preferable for prone, i have shot practice and CMP games with an adjustable non-match upper, short for off hand and sitting but all the way out for prone. Given the much more varied shooting of 2+ gun matches an A1 LOP preference is understandable.

The fixed MOE arrived this afternoon, and I have it mounted. Not bad, doesn't wiggle, maybe shorter than I would like. Have a new pistol grip on order with a more vertical angle, that may improve things quite a bit.

Main thing about the fixed MOE, or fixed anything, is it will prevent me from fussing with it.

Also got some more GenM3 Pmags. Either Magpul has a ton of Gen 2 and Gen 3 in inventory, or their fab is going 24/7. Likewise, no great difficulty finding Glock mags online, and even my LGS is trying to sell me more mags. Magazine manufacturers learned from the mid-90s panic, but not ammo makers sadly.

Other things in short supply out there; AR-15 extractors.

My adjustable stock (MFT Minimalist) has an indicator hole in the top. I placed a dot of white paint on the receiver extension at my preferred setting, so should I move it, I can easily reset the stock.

Mission-First-Tactical-BATTLELINK-Minima

• 3 weeks later...

Covid-stricken Iron Cat 2020 exercise without Serbs

Live-fire exercise of PAV-1 and PAV-4 auto-cannons for the crew of the ships of the Dunai Flotilla. 20 mm guns, 250 rounds per minute from 60 round drums, mainly against light air targets. The 4 barrel version described as more an anti-material configuration, the single barrel version "almost a sniper" to 1500 meters.

Those look like a local training mounts for 20/1mm M75 and 20/4mm M75 naval* AA guns. Ammo is Yugoslav made, looked like '80s production (1984 and 1986 seen...). Did a Hungary ever produce 20mm ammo?

*Nestin class minesweeper which Hungary still has. Friend served on the one in the early 2000s, considered his army service to be great 12 month long recreational cruise on the Danube. :)

IIRC two local ones are modernized by replacing front 20/4mm AA gun with 30/2mm M53/59, with new FCS with thermals and LRF.

14808719_997041303754945_1779986074_o.jp

Edited by bojan

Just got an order in at Classic Firearms for a Lee-Enfield No 4 mk I and an Italian M91/17 in 6.5x52. My FFL03 expired last Dec so had to do transfer through loca gunshop, Their transfer fees will equal a 3 year FFL03 so I'll have to renew my license.

I do have about 850 rds of boxer primed HXP .303 British, so I'm set for the Enfield. But 6.5x52 is disappearing, SGAmmo had 500 rd boxes of PPU, but it all disappeared in a week. They still have some 200 rd boxes of 139 gr SP from PPU but it appears to be .264 rather than the proper .268. I will order a .270 mold from NOE. May just buy some cases from Powder Valley to reload, but would just like to buy some correctly sized ammo to just shoot