Firearms of note and ridicule

rmgill

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Color me impressed. You can't help but wonder about 'NEW!' and 'IMPROVED!' from a struggling company, but it may well be that Colt realized that doing it right is the way to survive.

Color me impressed. You can't help but wonder about 'NEW!' and 'IMPROVED!' from a struggling company, but it may well be that Colt realized that doing it right is the way to survive.

Maybe some manager at Colt's has noticed that a name only carries so far.

I'm sure Colt fans (I'm not one) will be excited and they will sell well. I'm a S&W N-frame fan, so I'll stick with my nearly 50 yr old Model 28-2. Better trigger for me than any Colt, more accurate than I am and freaking indestructible.

The French Union Pistol With Forgotten Weapons

Posted November 5, 2015in Guns & Gear, Other Gear & Gadgets, Pistols by TFB Staffer with 16 Comments

Ian of Forgotten Weapons has certainly come up with some unique firearms, but this is the first time I’ve seen a magazine I simply could not pass by. In this review he goes over a French-made Union pistol, which was apparently a full-auto gun – with a horseshoe-shaped magazine. Yes, really.

There’s not much to say by way of introduction other than that this is both fascinating and seriously cool. Unfortunately these are quite rare and hard to come by – I took a wild shot at locating one, found one on Arms List, and was saddened to discover it had already sold. Can you imagine the looks on people’s faces if you sauntered onto the range with this bad, horseshoe-shaped boy? Priceless.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/11/05/french-union-pistol-forgotten-weapons/

• 3 weeks later...

Isn't that a post war BMW?

From Wiki:

The Isetta is an Italian-designed microcar built under license in a number of different countries, including Argentina,[1] Spain,[2] Belgium,[3] France,[4] Brazil,[5] Germany,[6] and the United Kingdom.[7] Because of its egg shape and bubble-like windows, it became known as a bubble car, a name also given to other similar vehicles.[8]

In 1955, the BMW Isetta became the world's first mass-production car to achieve a fuel consumption of 3 L/100 km (94 mpg‑imp; 78 mpg‑US).[a] It was the top-selling single-cylinder car in the world, with 161,728 units sold.[9]

Initially manufactured by the Italian firm Iso SpA, the name Isetta is the Italian diminutive form of Iso, meaning "little Iso".[10]

• 2 weeks later...

In fact rims seem to be removed from the spokes. There is also no (most probably chalk) writing on it, so my guess is that second picture is post-battle scrapping of all useful part.

Selbstfahrlafette auf Fahrgestell VOMAG 7/660 mit 8,8cm Flak

The trucks started construction in 1940 of 21 - 24 vehicles. First of which were delivered in early 1941 to the only unit to receive them, the I./Flak-Rgt. 42, at Berlin-Lankwitz. The battalion was issued 20 vehicles, used to mount the 88mm (88mm Flak 18 Waffentrager), as well as range finders and gun directors (Flakmesstruppkraftwagen). Batteries were equipped with four gun carriers and two gun-director vehicles. The remaining vehicles were issued as reserve vehicles, without armament or equipment.

Tessin states that the I./42 was a "Niederflur-Abteilung" (low bed chassis), and that it was an experimental, self-propelled 88mm Flak unit (Versuchs-Abteilungfür 8,8cm Flak (sf)).

No further units were produced.

--

Leo

VOMAG-mit-Kdo-Ger.jpg

VOMAG 7/660 with range-finder/gun director