Hypothetical War : Contest For The Spratleys

There are still those hundreds of PRC vessels in the Philippines EEZ mentioned in the article posted by B1 on March 21st.

"China, my friend, how politely can I put it? Let me see… O…GET THE FUCK OUT," Locsin said in a tweet on his personal account.

"What are you doing to our friendship? You. Not us. We're trying. You. You're like an ugly oaf forcing your attentions on a handsome guy who wants to be a friend; not to father a Chinese province…", Locsin said.

https://www.rappler.com/nation/teodoro-locsin-tweet-china-sea-dispute-may-3-2021

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The U.S.-China Confrontation

"We Need To Avoid Stumbling into a Major War"

Admiral James Stavridis has commanded U.S. warships in the South China Sea. In his new novel, he writes about a war between China and America – a scenario he considers to be extremely realistic.

Interview Conducted By Bernhard Zand in Hong Kong

06.05.2021, 20.16 Uhr

On the afternoon of March 12, 2034, the commanding officers of the American guided-missile destroyer John Paul Jones discover a fishing trawler on fire on the horizon of the Western Pacific. They delay but then, on the orders of their superiors, they shift course. It’s the beginning of a chain of events that leads to war between China and the United States and the use of tactical nuclear weapons. These events drive the plot of the geopolitical thriller "2034,” from Washington to Beijing, from the Persian Gulf to San Diego, from India to Shanghai.

The authors are novelist and Afghanistan veteran Elliot Ackerman, 41, and Admiral James Stavridis, 66, who himself commanded a destroyer squadron in the western Pacific years ago. He later rose to the rank of four-star admiral and, in 2009, he became the first naval officer to take over the supreme command of NATO troops in Europe. Stavridis was discussed as a possible vice presidential nominee during Hillary Clinton’s campaign and later as a possible secretary of state under Donald Trump. He has made a name for himself as a political commentator.

DER SPIEGEL: Admiral Stavridis, how close are China and the U.S. to a military confrontation today?

Admiral James Stavridis: A lot of the critical reaction to the book has been: Excellent book. The date is wrong. It’s not 2034, maybe 2024 or 2026. Any number of my very senior military friends have said, "You’ve written a cautionary tale about a war that you think is 10 to 15 years away, but many of us believe it will come sooner." And there is public testimony to this fact. Just three weeks ago, Admiral Philip S. Davidson, who is the commander of all U.S. forces in the Indo-Pacific region, talked about the possibility of a war over Taiwan within six years. The U.S. and China are both operating heavy military warships and aircraft in very close proximity over the South China Sea.

[...] 

https://www.spiegel.de/international/world/the-u-s-china-confrontation-we-need-to-avoid-stumbling-into-a-major-war-a-145ea252-612f-408a-b8c8-b2458ef11ece

I was reading the kindle preview to that the other day, its pretty good.  The Kevin Miller book 'Fight Fight' is quite interesting took. PRC accidentally kills the crew of a US Destroyer with Nerve Agent. I guess you had  to be there.