Danger! Danger!

Doug Kibbey

Nostalgic model builders with loose wallets, you have been warned!

http://www.oldmodelkits.com/index.php

OMFG! Why :wacko: ? I remember some of those kits when they were mainstream - no one in their right senses would build them now except as an exercise in masochism! Example, there's an Airfix CH46/Vertol 107 on page 1. I built one of those. By the time you'd added some semblance of internal detail, ground off the rivets that would have been the size of your fist once scaled up, and done something about the fact that the doors and transparencies fitted like a prick in a bucket, it would have been simpler to start with a lump of wood and knock off all the bits that didn't make it a bullfrog :angry: !

Danger? No feckin' danger! :lol:

Oh wow. Oh wow wow wow. Oh wow wow wow wow wow...!

Looks too pricey, though, for old kits. Several caught my eye, but one really got me tempted - the Monogram 1/72 F-19 stealh fighter kit (the one that, IIRC, disconcerted Congress because it was a model kit of a stealth fighter back when the F-117 was still top secret). Too expensive though. :( But man...!

Also, the listing is mostly winged thingies and ships. So far, I've seen only one modern tank (Tamiya M60) in 1/35. A lot in 1/76, WW2 AFVs.

Bah! What the hell is ebay for?

Although I still have this nagging twitch to start buying old Frog kits and build them "as was"... Just scribing in raised panel lines, no resins no PEs, no nothing... ^_^

Those kits aren't being sold to be built but to be hoarded, collected, intact. They are Investments (if not particularly good ones), and building them kills that investment. Nostalgia fuels the market, but it's a l;ow octane fuel in fast economic times . . . .

OMFG! Why :wacko: ? I remember some of those kits when they were mainstream - no one in their right senses would build them now except as an exercise in masochism! Example, there's an Airfix CH46/Vertol 107 on page 1. I built one of those. By the time you'd added some semblance of internal detail, ground off the rivets that would have been the size of your fist once scaled up, and done something about the fact that the doors and transparencies fitted like a prick in a bucket, it would have been simpler to start with a lump of wood and knock off all the bits that didn't make it a bullfrog :angry: !

Danger? No feckin' danger! :lol:

Several caught my eye, but one really got me tempted - the Monogram 1/72 F-19 stealh fighter kit (the one that, IIRC, disconcerted Congress because it was a model kit of a stealth fighter back when the F-117 was still top secret).

I remember reading an article in a news magazine when the "F-19" first came out. It was 1/48 (and I got the first two out of the shipping box at my LHS) btw and only scaled down to 1/72 a couple/few years later.

Anyways, the article talked about how an attache from the Soviet Embassy in DC had driven out to the Squadron Shop in Maryland and bought out their entire supply. Few years later when I was going to college in DC and I trekked out to Squadron for the first time (of MANY. And it was close to 2-hours each way via public transportation) I asked the guy behind the counter about it ... since I'd remembered the place from that. He said that not only did the Soviets buy out the entire stock, they kept coming back to buy the things.

I'm disappointed that they don't have the old 155mm "Long Tom" with high speed tractor on there. I'd pay a serious buck for one of those. Had great box art (in the snow, IIRC) and I built a diorama with real earth and sand for that back in....the early '60's. I had a jeep and towed 37mm in there too, don't ask me why.

If anybody gets a lead on the 155 kit I'm talking about, please let me know.

Those kits aren't being sold to be built but to be hoarded, collected, intact. They are Investments (if not particularly good ones), and building them kills that investment. Nostalgia fuels the market, but it's a l;ow octane fuel in fast economic times . . . .

I guess. But to me, buying model kits to hoard and not build is like buying a gun or fishing rod just to hang it over the mantlepiece permanently - good idea or not, it defeats the purpose the thing was made for :(

I guess. But to me, buying model kits to hoard and not build is like buying a gun or fishing rod just to hang it over the mantlepiece permanently - good idea or not, it defeats the purpose the thing was made for :(

True. I don't see the value of hoarding such kits as an "investment."

In a post-apocalyptic, Mad Max future, model kits will be melted to make plastic tools.