Capt Geoffrey Winnington-Ball CD (ret)

T19

RIP Geoff

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some awesome photos of Geoff, all military related ;) including precious ones of Geoff, and Shawn, in Normandy which is beautiful, and one very very special heartfelt and endearing one to me, of Geoff standing at my Uncle Ed's in Beny Sur Mer, saluting my Uncle. By he way, it was my Uncle who brought me to MLU and connected me to everyone there and in consequently Tanknet, through Geoff, back in about 2004 I joined Tanknet through G.

My PW posts were personal one to one comms meant from PW to Wizard parts of who we were together and shared in enjoying those parts for a while. That will all be a personal treasure.

The driving force, or will, in Geoff's heart, mind, and soul, were ALWAYS about Honouring, Recognizing, Promoting, Championing, Uniting, Preserving the heart and integrity of service and those who served and serve, and those who sacrificed, and why ... Lest We Forget.

Geoff, a big voice, a driving force, and a fierce force we all know :) and all of that driving force will and does "Carry On .... " and rises above, stands strong, and overpowers everything else ...

Will load my scanner at some point today and see if I can find and scan those photos. You'll enjoy them. G in his element, all things military and what he stood for.

By the way, Grace, Julia, Sally, us women through G's life, you've all been on my mind constantly through this and I'm thinking of you all, am VERY sorry for your own loss too, as I am for my own. Lets raise a toast together to Geoff.

Oh no.

I met Geoff and Dame Karmen in Winnipeg while on leave a few years back. I'd shared e-mails, mentoring and advice from him on my journey from civy to soldier. I'd hoped to see him again.

Yee Old Fossilized One, I salute you. For all you did for me, I can only hope to pay it forward as well as you.

We will remember him.

I hope this works.

Geoff and Shawn, together, visited Beny Sur Mer Cemetery, making a special visit to my Uncle Ed at rest there. These photos, taken by Hanno of MLU I believe, show Shawn and Geoff paying respects to my Uncle Ed personally on behalf of myself and my family. They visited with Ed, planted a plaque, flags from home, and payed respects. Geoff stood, saluted my Uncle Ed. Geoff and Shawn were the first visitors, ever, to be able to visit my Uncle for our family, and be someone from back home. This meant the world to me, and my family, and still does. Geoff thought the world of my Uncle, who he got to know all about, and care about, through me. Totally precious and priceless. Thank you so much Geoff and Shawn, especially Geoff who engineered this whole happening, MADE it happen. I'll always love him for that. This is part of many legacies Geoff has left. He went all out to help people who had Fallen Soldiers, Veterans, who needed attention or respect. Beautiful.

Father Geoff and Son Shawn, two soldiers, at Beny Sur Mer Cemetery, Normandy France. I dedicate these photos especially to Shawn and to Geoff's Father-Son big shared experience of Beny Sur Mer. Here's to you Geoff and Shawn:

Geoff's online obituary and guest book can be accessed here

As is mentioned on it the Memorial Service for him will be held at:

McDougall and Brown, 2900 Kingston Road, Scarborough,

on Saturday, December 11, 2010, from 3-5 p.m.

In lieu of flowers, donations to the Sunnybrook Veterans Centre Grant A Wish Program would be appreciated.

Was already sad to have missed meeting him at the I&I this year. Now I'll never have the chance. :(

In addition to his posts and public presence here, I got the impression he was a steady hand at the tiller of Tanknet behind the scenes. All this and the man himself will be missed.

R.I.P.

TN has been a turbulent place at times, sometimes people leave for a while, sometimes even get kicked off. Some just disappear but still pop up occasionally in conversations among TN members. But now, when making an none-to-frequent visit to the Grate Site, one has to get to grips with the fact that some of the people who embody TN - who's post you seek out, who's opinions you respect, who always gives a new angle on issues, the people who makes it worthwhile to return again and again to TN - you have to get to grips with the fact that they are no longer here. Not lurking somewhere out there on the interweb but really gone from this world.

I cannot claim to have been friends with either King Sargent or Geoff but it pisses me off to no end that good people like them have to leave us - and with them qualities that are just too rare in todays world.

RIP, Geoff