I&I 2011

BansheeOne

We were considering Unterlüß, since it's conveniently close to Munster. I pulled out the contact data of the responsible guy at Rheinmetall's PR department already, but if you have previously established strings to pull, all the better. Kassel is probably too far off our tracks.

So far, we have five declared intentions to participate, twelve members expressing interest but no final decision at this early point, and two in the "would like to, but probably won't make it" category. Time preference seems to tend towards the week from 19th to 25th September. Besides the Munster trip, the Luftwaffe Museum Gatow and the Kummersdorf vehicle collection have been named as particular interests. We could use a little more feedback on the last point, even by those who are still in the "maybe" stage, since it would allow us to eliminate items of little common interest from tight day itineraries.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the possibility of a two-phase I&I; namely one for those with the tight itineraries, and an added part for those planning to stay longer?

Re: visits

I'm not too interested in aircraft.

How about Sans Soucis?

---

Having said that, it appears others might be into aircraft. So the Deutsches Technikmuseum in Berlin has some interesting vintage aircraft, like the Bf 109, Ju 52m Ju 87, etc. (Providing there is any time left.)

Leo

We were considering Unterlüß, since it's conveniently close to Munster. I pulled out the contact data of the responsible guy at Rheinmetall's PR department already, but if you have previously established strings to pull, all the better. Kassel is probably too far off our tracks.

So far, we have five declared intentions to participate, twelve members expressing interest but no final decision at this early point, and two in the "would like to, but probably won't make it" category. Time preference seems to tend towards the week from 19th to 25th September. Besides the Munster trip, the Luftwaffe Museum Gatow and the Kummersdorf vehicle collection have been named as particular interests. We could use a little more feedback on the last point, even by those who are still in the "maybe" stage, since it would allow us to eliminate items of little common interest from tight day itineraries.

My financial fortunes are see-sawing at the moment but it looks like there is a good chance I might actually be able to make it. I'd say I've gone from "love to, but don't see how I could" to "I think this is going to happen". I'm not familiar with either the Luftwaffe Museum Gatow or the Kummersdorf vehicle collection, I'll research them here when I have time over the next week or so and weigh in with my druthers FWIW.

Edited by irregularmedic

Okay, I have a recommendation for Armor School and will write to the General der Panzertruppen within the next days, requesting a briefing for a group of ca. 15 to 20 in the week of 19th to 25th September.

I'm not too interested in aircraft.

How about Sans Soucis?

---

Having said that, it appears others might be into aircraft. So the Deutsches Technikmuseum in Berlin has some interesting vintage aircraft, like the Bf 109, Ju 52m Ju 87, etc. (Providing there is any time left.)

I checked out Sanssouci last weekend. "The" palace is really a small affair, basically a Royal Motel with a spectacular view for those summer retreats; you can tour it in half an hour with an audio guide for a rather hefty € 12. You can however also spend all day walking the park (for free), and a lot of additional admittance fees for all the additional palaces, tea houses and churches within (general admittance day passes available for € 19). There's a rebuilt (after burning down in 1945 when a Soviet tank exploded next to it) and operative 18th century windmill next to the Schloss that I found very interesting.

I visited the Technikmuseum a couple years ago. Personally, I was not impressed by the military section; the presentation seemed more intent on stressing the evil of war than the technology. If however anybody is interested, we could probably factor that in.

Since Ssnake brought up the issue on the original thread in the I&I Information Center: The Reichstag visit will not entail the usual hour-long queue for mere access to the roof and dome, but the full internal tour with no waiting and me as a guide.

I have added Stasi prison Hohenschönhausen and the Unterwelten tour to the list of expressed interests by mention of Ssnake, and Seelower Höhen by mention of Ken.

Edited by BansheeOne

Earlier, I said I'm a no-go. However, if my financial disposition is better, and if the schedule fits, I am seriously thinking of foregoing some of my mountain climbing plans and attend this I&I. I also realized my passport is expired and I'll need to renew it ASAP. Info on el cheapo places to stay (or if anyone is kind enough to give let me stay with them). I might tie this in with a visit to Prague (or Latvia - that's where the gorgeous women are in dire need of TLC, right? :lol: ).

Hey, if ya go to Prague, be sure to let me know, we might coordinate both Prague visit and journey to Germany :)

(and I'll be able atleast to provide you with a healthy selection of various beers ;))

Yep, will do. :) Thanks! Re: beers, beers of the female kind? :lol: ;)

Edited by TomasCTT

Info on el cheapo places to stay (or if anyone is kind enough to give let me stay with them).

See first post for recommended hotels in Berlin. As stated there, I'm also offering to accomodate one person (or couple) that may have burned all money on airfare and turns up broke at my place. First come, first served.

I'm of half a mind to attend the Czech Tank Day preceding the I&I myself. My brother #4's girlfriend is from Prague, and they go there several times a year.

I'm of half a mind to attend the Czech Tank Day preceding the I&I myself. My brother #4's girlfriend is from Prague, and they go there several times a year.

Great! Hope "Half a mind" turns into "full mind" :)

Also hope there won't be so much mud in the parking lot next year B)

See first post for recommended hotels in Berlin. As stated there, I'm also offering to accomodate one person (or couple) that may have burned all money on airfare and turns up broke at my place. First come, first served.

I might have to take you up on that offer! I'm seriously considering staying in a hostel due to lack of funds being a student and all. I might get lucky with grants and scholarships though and be adequately funded, unfortunately I really won't have a good idea until at least Spring if not later...

I might have to take you up on that offer! I'm seriously considering staying in a hostel due to lack of funds being a student and all. I might get lucky with grants and scholarships though and be adequately funded, unfortunately I really won't have a good idea until at least Spring if not later...

Hey, there's a camping site just off the Berlin Hauptbahnhof :D

CRITICAL SCHEDULING ISSUE

Acting on a tip by Martin M, I just got off the phone with Panzermuseum Munster.

- They have an annual Open House where the volunteers maintaining the vehicles are present and demonstrate their work, including actual access to vehicles. Next year, this event will be on September 4th. However, as this is a Sunday, taking this opportunity would preclude visiting Armor School.

- Additionally, each first Thursday of a month is "Hobby Commander's Night" where the volunteers meet after official opening hours to do maintenance, actually start up one vehicle per hall, then have some beers. In our timeframe, this would occur on September 1st. We could attend this event as guests, however as it would begin only at 1800 hrs, we would be returning to Berlin late, probably after midnight.

- Finally, the museum's scientific head I talked to suggested that if we're visiting Armor School anyway, we simply request that they open up the museum's vehicles for us, since it's really their collection. This could supposedly happen at any date, including the week from 19th to 25th preferred so far, though it would't include any turning of nuts, bolts and engines.

I post this for due consideration while putting off my request to Armor School for a few more days.

They want 4E for a tent (3-4 people) and 11E for a night though...

If we arrange, I might take my tent - that is if you do not mind massive snoring :P

Aha! We shall trade snoring broadsides then. It'll be a race who gets to sleep first. I'll pack some Benadryl... :D

As for the fees, man, those are steep. :wacko:

Edited by TomasCTT

CRITICAL SCHEDULING ISSUE

Acting on a tip by Martin M, I just got off the phone with Panzermuseum Munster.

- They have an annual Open House where the volunteers maintaining the vehicles are present and demonstrate their work, including actual access to vehicles. Next year, this event will be on September 4th. However, as this is a Sunday, taking this opportunity would preclude visiting Armor School.

- Additionally, each first Thursday of a month is "Hobby Commander's Night" where the volunteers meet after official opening hours to do maintenance, actually start up one vehicle per hall, then have some beers. In our timeframe, this would occur on September 1st. We could attend this event as guests, however as it would begin only at 1800 hrs, we would be returning to Berlin late, probably after midnight.

- Finally, the museum's scientific head I talked to suggested that if we're visiting Armor School anyway, we simply request that they open up the museum's vehicles for us, since it's really their collection. This could supposedly happen at any date, including the week from 19th to 25th preferred so far, though it would't include any turning of nuts, bolts and engines.

I post this for due consideration while putting off my request to Armor School for a few more days.

Could you give us an idea what we'd be missing at the armor school?

not wanting to mix in too much, but perhaps you could arrive early afternoon on said Thursday, go to the Armor School and at 1800 hours join the Kommandantenabend.

I do think the K-abend is a good thing. You may climb in and out of things, there are knowledgable - formers users - of BW and Volksarmee about, and I think the number of one tank per hall running might be decidedly too conservative.

Usually some British chaps are there maintaining the British tanks, too. The WP tanks are mostly runners, as are the Leos, M 48, M41 and a few of the WM tanks.

Could you give us an idea what we'd be missing at the armor school?

Not too much, I think - depending of course on what they are going to show. The barracks' motor pool is seriously depleted now that Munster is home to a mere quarter of a brigade, so don't expect too much there. Driving School is in a different barracks, as is the Panzerlehrbattalion. This leaves the simulator building as the main attraction. Which is nice, but not overly spectacular either. Then there are lots of buildings with dormitories and classrooms, and office buildings, and a chow hall, and a gym with attached parade ground adjacent to a parking lot which at the same time is the Panzermuseum's backyard.

Oh, there's a library specializing on German language books and magazines and videos on armor, and topics of general military interest. It's probably a bigger collection than what we could throw together ... but in the end its a basement floor with bookshelves.

Things may have changed dramatically over the past few years, but I'm not sure if they changed for the better. :P

Edited by Ssnake

not wanting to mix in too much, but perhaps you could arrive early afternoon on said Thursday, go to the Armor School and at 1800 hours join the Kommandantenabend.

That's what I tend towards. Returning late should not be that much of a problem, since the American participants will be running behind time rather than ahead. The main issue I see is September 1st being a very early date when members seem to gravitate towards late September.

I'm not sure what to expect at Armor School. I certainly hope that beyond a briefing and maybe a look at the simulators, we'll get to climb over some current vehicles. Since we're approaching this from the top via the Commander Training Center Munster/General der Panzertruppen, shuffling around more than one Kaserne shouldn't be a showstopper if necessary. I'll inquire accordingly.

I do think the K-abend is a good thing. You may climb in and out of things, there are knowledgable - formers users - of BW and Volksarmee about, and I think the number of one tank per hall running might be decidedly too conservative.

The guy I talked to said there is an annual "start up plan" (not out yet for 2011) which details what vehicle is run on what date, factoring in environmental impact regulations etc. Willy Buchterkirchen is not on their staff anymore BTW.

Regarding accomodation: Before anybody goes a-camping, I'm certain we'll find additional private storage space.

Hey, camping's fun B)

No really, most liekly will go for some hotel or hostel, but it's tempting... Camping space in the middle of the capital? We don't have that here :D

It could be cold at night, however. At least for people used to living in Mediterranean -or warmer- climates.

If I come by car (I am planning to visit a friend in same time-frame) what are chances of finding parking/price of hour/day parking ticket? And also is it actually wise trying to rely on car or should I trust local transportation?