World of Tanks

Tomi Sarvanko

Frustrating and makes me want to play very conservation minded.

I know that feeling. I go about it in different ways:

- If the player who puts himself in bad spot did it out of stupidity, I see no immediate reason dying trying to save him. He will still die without doing much use anyway. And take me with him.

- If the player does a "good" move, I support immediately if I have the tank... ie, I am much quicker to follow closely when I drive T29/T28P (cause it is turreted) than when I drive Hellcat.

- If I find myself in a bad spot, I nowadays try do fall back if I see I have no support and have not been spotted.

- In a tier 6 game people usually are very anxious to get involved, so there you don't even have wait for them to rush forward.

- If the team decides to "defend"... well, then you are f**ked no matter what you do. :)

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fritz

• Skywalkre

• Marek Tucan

• Harold Jones

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Correct. I know because that's me. Or at least it was me before it occurred to me to think about why my very high avg xp (currently something like 800th place on the NA server) doesn't correlate to very high win ratio. I've been working on my teamwork since then and I'm doing better.

That's really funny, because I am essentially programmed to be a total team player (firefighter), so I've been trying to emulate your play style a bit and be more of an individual contributor.

The truth is of course in the middle. The amount and type of teamwork required from you depends on the teams you roll. This is where XVM is invaluable.

If you roll a horrible team in a high tier game vs a good enemy team, you should just try to maximize your xp/cash revenue from the battle. Chances are there is nothing you can do to bring victory so just make sure you gain the most of it. Sure, every once in a while a high rated team can make a series of stupid errors while its low rated enemy team gets simultaneously very lucky but just don't rely on this.

In low tier games you will most likely roll horrible teams on both sides. In this case it's really important to roll with the biggest blob so you can keep them alive as long as possible. Now, often they will get sneaky and run off in ones and twos in ALL directions, then there's really no saving them.

If you get teams that are fairly well balanced in skill you should try to roll with the next best player on your team and support them / work around them if your tank allows for that.

And you CAN turn average players into lions if you show some leadership, just be as aggressive as possible (without being suicidal of course) and that will encourage them to push.

My take is that a high win-rate necessary does not mean that the player will be good/great, but most of the time I look up the "noob-criers", they have a less than good win-rate.

EDIT: as Jeff, I also find the Ace-tanker badges interesting when checking a players' stats.

I have noticed that too. The biggest "noob/failed team" shouters are the ones with less than 50% w/r.

Bad players could also be dangerous for own team. Case in point: How to ruin the game of Tank Destroyers. You could often find suboptimal players (with heavy/med tanks, some lights even) camping behind a TD concealed in a bush, even exposing part of their tank, so they get detected (even without the usual no-penetration, shot spamming typical of that breed), and when enemy tries to hit them, they take cover BEHIND the TD that was there first.

After some instances of that behavior, I found a good SOP is for the TD to refuse the concealmente, go for cover, wait for the noobs to die, then take cover behind their dead carcasses.

Bushes in West side of Cliffs, adjoining the rock spurs, are the prime example of this kind of bad behavior.

Edited by sunday

Speaking of a game where your team lets you down, I just had Mountain Pass. Lots of arty per side. I end up covering bridge. Looks like only one enemy TD on the other side and I have an E-75 behind me. North starts to make a push so I move up to take out that TD and hopefully get in some flank shots on their northern team. I move across, thinking I have coverage. Guess what happens? That E-75 left once I started moving. That TD kills me along with the enemy arty that shifted to the bridge.

The moron moved to another part of the map only to hang back behind friendlies. He played passive, hung back when high tier, and shock surprise we lose the game.

A guy like that earns his poor w/r. :glare:

Just had a fun series of 3 historical battles with Czech players - we tried to do Korea, Imjin river - with purely US force ( no time to think up configs for UK tanks). Was fun.In the end though UN forces succumbed to Chinese steamroller... Happened in 1st battle as well, but our sole survivor (M26) managed to destroy 4 tanks, 2 of them IS, before being destroyed by last enemy T-34/85.

Just had a fun series of 3 historical battles with Czech players - we tried to do Korea, Imjin river - with purely US force ( no time to think up configs for UK tanks). Was fun.In the end though UN forces succumbed to Chinese steamroller... Happened in 1st battle as well, but our sole survivor (M26) managed to destroy 4 tanks, 2 of them IS, before being destroyed by last enemy T-34/85.

Comet and Centurion Mk 1.

Battle with Hellcat at Fishermans Bay.

All lights and meds hang back, I move up front just a bit, we are soon rushed by scouts, I get killed after dealing some damage.

I say: "new tactics, tds up front, meds and lights behind" with a smilie.

Player Waremblem5 says it is because I suck etc. He makes it to enemy flag, and manages a kill. But of course I get more xp than him.

I add him as friend, and chats from garage:

"Before saying someone suck, check their stats and compare to your own. Just a friendly advice."

"Stats mean nothing." (as I did not see that one coming). But then he goes on to say:

"I did everything right, and I have a 95%-badge in my tank." Not true, he only got 2nd class, but at least a 51% win-rate in it. I answer:

"So if mastery-badges count, check my stats." (I have +10 and he has one; T1E6).

Did not hear from him anymore.

Question is, did he learn anything? Did I?

Yes, I learned that stats mean nothing! :P

Edited by Stefan Fredriksson

• 5 months later...

Himmelsdorf, Tier II, Encounter battle, T-18 (40mm gun, improved ventilation, bino optics, cammo net, 116% gunner).

I start by typing: "Take hill or lose game" (which IME is almost always true on that map - the base is essentially indefensible and rushing there will leave you surrounded by enemies with good firing positions).

Someone types: "Hill is waste of time, go base"

About half the team attack via the hill and after an intense fight kill everyone on there (I went around the front and shot a T-18 from behind to clear the way). We work our way down killing everything on the way to the base and finally find a cluster of enemy vehicles there which are easily taken out. So I type "Our hill strategy worked"

Matey (killed early on in the game) types "Hill is CRAP!!!! Should have gone base!!!!!"

By the way, despite usually being in the top three players in a game and being top player at least once every three games, I simply cannot get my win rate beyond 56%. I don't platoon or use gold ammo. Is that win rate OK?

I thought this topic was closed when the Part 2 started because its length. Some people may be in trouble. :P

And Cromwell, but in Chinese team. :P

Id buy that if it was a premium machine. :)

Churchill VII also served in Korea. It was as I recall the flamer version, but they never used them as such as it turned out, only as gun tanks. That would have been a bit later in the war though if I remember right, post Imjin. All we had there at the time would have been Centurion Mk3 and Cromwell in the recce troop, though I think that may have been replaced by Comet later.

An Imjin map for World of tanks would be a great idea I think....

Canada started out in Korea with M10's (17pdr armed I think) and then quickly changed to M4A2E8's (I think that was the version, 76mm armed at any rate)

• 2 months later...

Just started playing around with it.

Gripes are the usual arcade features (highlighted enemies, damage % and all the other stuff that hovers over spotted enemies) and no coax.

From the two tanks I've chosen to play around with (till I get the tanks I want); the M2 Medium with the 75mm short HE thrower and Panzer II with the long 20mm, I seem to do better with the former. Finding a good hull down position and nailing movers in the flank with the 75mm HE does a good job. I don't seem to do that well with the autocannon armed Panzer II (I too).

I'm aiming for the M4 Sherman and Panzer IV.

Figures that just when I get Tiger II, team loses 2 first battles where I did 2000 damage to enemies in both..and then win 3rd where I die from first volley from 3 enemy heavies... Exp gain with x2 was not impressive. :angry2:

• 1 year later...

Just was called a bot while in my Lowe, with 3 kills, the guy didn't think I was aggressive enough, oh I had fun with that.