US Marines board and secure ship captured by Somali pirates

Ivanhoe

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/africa/09/09/us.somalia.pirates/index.html

Twenty-four U.S. Marines from the force, which was aboard the USS Dubuque and operating under the multinational anti-piracy combined task force, boarded the M/V Magellan Star at about 5 a.m. local time, the Fifth Fleet said.

"This successful mission by combined maritime forces secured the safety of the ship's crew and returned control of the ship to the civilian mariners," a Fifth Fleet statement said.

No shots were fired, the Navy spokesman said, and there were no injuries. The pirates surrendered "within minutes."

Well done, Marines!

I know its just pissing in the wind, but the pirate problem needs some good old-fashioned hangings.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was an article in Finnish newspaper. Acording to it crew of the ship hid inside a panicroom after sending a distress signal and stopping the engines. Pirates had called to owner of the ship and asked where the crew was and how to start the engines. Reply was that crew is on vacation and engines are broken. :lol:

There was an article in Finnish newspaper. Acording to it crew of the ship hid inside a panicroom after sending a distress signal and stopping the engines. Pirates had called to owner of the ship and asked where the crew was and how to start the engines. Reply was that crew is on vacation and engines are broken. :lol:

"...but help is on the way."

Geeeeze I would SO like to hear the tapes of this conversation :lol:

Too much work. Just throw them overboard for a nice long swim...

Meanwhile, the root of the problem continues to fester.

Somali refugees tell of hellish scenes in Mogidishu

A donation of a few links of anchor chain wouldn't be an unreasonable gesture of gratitude...even the bottom dwellers need to eat.

----

"said a U.S. Navy spokesman, who was not authorized to speak publicly..."

Maybe certain "spokesmen" could set the example. <_< Figuratively, of course. :rolleyes:

Edited by shep854

A donation of a few links of anchor chain wouldn't be an unreasonable gesture of gratitude...even the bottom dwellers need to eat.

----

"said a U.S. Navy spokesman, who was not authorized to speak publicly..."

Maybe certain "spokesmen" could set the example. <_< Figuratively, of course. :rolleyes:

Keelhauling is underrated these days.

Not as much fun at 30 knots. I guess if they slowed down to 10 kts the fun would last awhile.

Geeeeze I would SO like to hear the tapes of this conversation :lol:

Me too. Just imagine if the ship's owner had forwarded the call to some bogus Indian tech support line.

"Hallo, the ship no run."

"Thank you for your call, my name is "Bob" and I am glad to help!"

"Yes, yes, the ship no run."

"Okay, sir. Did you try rebooting?"

"Make ship work or we kill them all!"

"I am sorry Sir, you will have to calm down or I will be forced to terminate this call"

:lol:

Not as much fun at 30 knots. I guess if they slowed down to 10 kts the fun would last awhile.

Me too. Just imagine if the ship's owner had forwarded the call to some bogus Indian tech support line.

Put them on the phone with my ISP's automated troubleshooting greeter and they'd just scuttle the damned ship after a half hour.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/africa/09/09/us.somalia.pirates/index.html

Well done, Marines!

I know its just pissing in the wind, but the pirate problem needs some good old-fashioned hangings.

I think, in their world, successful captures mean lifelong wealth, death means waking in paradise, and capture means eating better. Their mindset is one that "I can't lose, so what the fook."

I vote we give them paradise. One of these days, the civilized world's leaders had better realize that ROEs only worsen the situation when the enemy doesn't give a crap. Execute all these bastards every single time. Period.

Too resource-intensive. If entertainment is desired, reinstate "walking the plank". Deep-six them and move on; less chance for bleeding hearts to get in the way.

Then again, James123 has a point; why waste metal? The sharks will figure it out.

Yes, but with unfettered pollution and global warming you can't rely on having sharks everywhere, so as I said before it's all Bush's fault if you can't dispose of a pirate properly.

Too true. Eight years in office and not once did he ask Japan to curb shark fin soup consumption - which can only have increased the likelihood that Somali youth would turn to piracy, of course. The knowledge that drowning would most certainly have preceeded being eaten alive by sharks, would certainly bestow a catalyst for recruitment. Have his crimes no limit?

;)

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f36_1284347829

"The Marines were aided by the Magellan Star's wily 11-man crew, who had avoided being taken hostage by barricading themselves in a safe room as the pirates boarded the ship. The crew also killed the ship's engine, leaving the vessel to float dead in the water until help could arrive.

Frustrated, the pirates grabbed an emergency phone in the control room and called the ship's owner in Dortmund, Germany, demanding to know the crew's whereabouts and how to restart the engine.

"We said, 'Oh, the crew is on holiday,' " said Holger Roemer, an executive with Dr. Peters Group, the German firm that owns the vessel. "We also told them the engine was having trouble. They were very sour and told us a lot of not-very-nice words and hung up." "

• 3 months later...

Finnish minelayer Pohjanmaa just left Finland to join EU anti-pirate TF 465 in Operation Atalanta.

http://yle.fi/uutiset/news/2011/01/minelayer_pohjanmaa_sets_sail_on_operation_atalanta_2265843.html

I find this higly amusing, especially considerring the ship captain statement: "Results of our operation are not measured only by captured pirates".

Yea, because Pohjanmaa has max. speed of 18.5 knots and does not have helipad. So those statistics will probably guarantee 0 captured pirates...and lot of protected shipping is faster that her. Go figure...

Guest JamesG123

Being keelhauled in general is not good for ones health.

I still prefer the Russian method for dispatching the pirates.

No they just have to lay mines close to shore along the entire Somali coast, that should reduce piracy.

Nah. We don't make naval mines small enough to deal with wooden boats and zodiacs. They probably cost more each than the targets. They might wander into shipping lanes. And the Somalis would probably figure out a way of stealing them.