British WWII Tank Hunter Achiles Mark 1C

hchris

I am currently trying to find something very mysterious.

A friend of mine insists that the Achilles Mark 1C received an armor upgrade compared to the M10.

Did the British really add 17-18mm of additional armour to the front upper hull (the flat area above the curved nosepiece) and the sides (not sure *where* on the sides)?

I cannot find any reliable information so far, maybe somebody can shed some light onto this?

Any help or definite proof would be more than welcome!

Thanks guys,

Chris

Edited by hchris

A friend of mine insists that the Achilles Mark 1C received an armor upgrade compared to the M10.

Did the British really add 17-18mm of additional armour to the front upper hull (the flat area above the curved nosepiece) and the sides (not sure *where* on the sides)?

I cannot find any reliable information so far, maybe somebody can shed some light onto this?

Thanks guys,

Chris

The Wikipedia article says so - and claims they put on a turret roof, but it doesn't note a specific source for it. being Wikipedia, there's then no way of knowing if this is accurate.

Thanks guys for the replies.

What I foun out so far and I cannot really say if it is 100% true, is that the initial M10 tank hunters had some kind of bosses on several parts of the tank.

Those bosses were intended so that additional armor plates could be hung onto the tank. Though throughout the war those additional armor plates never went into prodction state, but those bosses still remained on the M10s.

Logically, those bosses were also present on the Achilles models.

This can be seen in pretty much any picture of M10s and Achilles.

But still, I am not sure if we were talking about those "uparmored" Achilles models in the initial post....

You know, Stuart, I am Portuguese and I knew about a lot of former Canadian stuff we inherited after WW2, but the Achilles would be a surprise for me. Of those ones I sincerely doubt we had any :)

I'm sure the Portuguese didn't get any Achilles, I'm willing to bet your life on it!

I'm browsing through the "British Tank Destroyer Achilles" book by Wojciech Gawrich ISBN 83-920254-7-4 and I'm seeing 45 Achilles delivered by Canada to Denmark in 1955. It also says "small numbers were supplied to the Netherlands, Belgium and Egypt."

Ill have a root round online and see if I can find the Salvage Squad episode online. My inability to remember anything coherently is starting to annoy me. :D

Have you heard of anyone uparmouring them?

(1) Your inability to remember anything coherently is a sign of creeping old age. Welcome to the club! :wacko:

(2) Aside from tiers of sandbags or lengths of hardwood lumber, no. There are simply too many vulnerable points on a Sherman chassis to really waste the time trying to up-armour them.

1 :lol:

2 It strikes me as an odd thing to do with a tank destroyer too. The things depended on mobility to displace quickly after an engagement. Its not like they were expected to stand long in a fight like a tank was.

Besides, as you point out, I cant see modding them being an exercise that would add much capablity.

Hcrhis if you do find any more on this, please post it up because Im sure we would all like to know.

1. We can compare pension books :P

2. Just because it wasn't really worth it, doesn't mean no-one did it :) Quite possibly there were field "upgrades" as someone has suggested. But I can't find any reiable source stating they were uparmored either. Everything implies the change was the gunnery. It was really only intended to be a way of making a heavy bugger of a gun more mobile...

Some British did. There is a picture of one particular 17-pr M10 parked in a hedge in Normandy, probably a 20th A/Tk Regt. vehicle with additional armour on the front hull. It is not possible to see whether it has any armour installed on the sides. In late autumn 1944, some 17-pr M10s were apparently fitted with "blast roofs" covering the front top of the turret.

cbo

Some British did. There is a picture of one particular 17-pr M10 parked in a hedge in Normandy, probably a 20th A/Tk Regt. vehicle with additional armour on the front hull. It is not possible to see whether it has any armour installed on the sides. In late autumn 1944, some 17-pr M10s were apparently fitted with "blast roofs" covering the front top of the turret.

cbo

Could you please post those pictures if possible?

Look here:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/message/1190188867/M10+17pdr+uparmoured-++%2APic%2A

and here:

http://www.iwmcollections.org.uk/media/images/Photographs/Image/B_014769.jpg

The photo is pretty small, but the hull front and

side have been uparmored . . . the

turret side looks to have armor added as well.

The guy in the foreground must be a giant. [Ahh, someone else mentioned him as well . . .]

Mark