HD shows LESS space AFTER removing stuff?

Dame Karmen

PS BTW:

My connector cord that runs between the motherboard and the HD has an EXTRA UNUSED PLUG IN bit on the cord, its "just there" ... which happens to plug perfectly into the new HD

Also, the wires/cords that connect to the HD with the white 4 prong plugin bits has an extra one, unused and just there as well .. that looks like it will plug into the new HD too.

If I connect those extra bits to the new HD then then both HD's are connected with the same cords as well as both hard drives are connected to each other AND the computer works!

... thats my logic anyways :D Am I wrong to think I don't need more cables/plugins if they look to be already there just to plug into both HD's AND all proper connections are already good to go and can talk to each other??? BECAUSE all the plug in bits are included on the already working connected HD cord???

I'm sorry if I sound confusing not kowing how to describe things, but I hope you get what I mean anyways ;)

Edited by Dame Karmen

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. Found this site with info and some diagrams re installing HDs etc ... which shows in fig 1.4 that the cord I'm talking about and have is that one, a standard IDE cord with master AND slave plugs/connectors.

Do I just plug the slave plugin into the new HD then am good to go with going straight into my XP disk management in my master sm HD to get it to find and format/configure the new HD as a slave?

http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/install-hard-drive.htm#upgrade-old-hard-drive

Karmen,

It looks like you have a handle on the situation just follow the diagrams and instructions and you should do fine. Work on each drive to get it ready (set the jumper first). It looks like you have the right cable and your powersupply has enough connectors to do the job. Once you have it all installed and your system boots to the Windows Desktop you can follow the instructions I mentioned above.

I doubt you need to clone your older (small) drive to the new (larger) HD. Once your new drive is reformatted you can just move all your data and files to the new drive and "live happily ever after".

Sorry it took so long to get back to you but I've also got three dismembered PC I'm working on at the moment.

It's kind of frustrating on my end because I could do all of the above for you in a few minutes but I'm half a continent away.

Good Luck, and welcome to the wonderful world of IT.

Karmen,

It looks like you have a handle on the situation just follow the diagrams and instructions and you should do fine. Work on each drive to get it ready (set the jumper first). It looks like you have the right cable and your powersupply has enough connectors to do the job. Once you have it all installed and your system boots to the Windows Desktop you can follow the instructions I mentioned above.

Thanks again Evan ;) You do sound up to your ears in PC's fiddlings. Isn't it funny that something PC uses terms like Master & Slave? That's SO not PC. The activists must be sleeping? :D :D :D

OK, back to my PC master and Slave stuff:

I have to learn what jumpers/settings are and how to "set" them (how, where, what, when yada yada) Will browse for diagrams and explanations. The library books have some info but my brain isn't getting it yet. This whole process (computer building and setups) really is like being forced to have to try read and comprehend something before I know the alphabet! Learn "while" I try and do ....

I can NOT screw up my old Master's windoze setup because I do NOT have the disks if I make it unfunctional with messing around in it, so need to be careful.

I doubt you need to clone your older (small) drive to the new (larger) HD. Once your new drive is reformatted you can just move all your data and files to the new drive and "live happily ever after".

I used the wrong term I guess, clone. I meant transferring/moving (learning how to) some things from my master over to the slave once connected and both drives operational and working together properly. I have lots of questions about how master and slave work, when and how to switch between the two but I won't worry about learning that stuff until I have both drives functional and good to go.

First I need to know about jumpers and whatever else I need to know and do that I don't know now, and how to do it, the right actions and steps order, to "prepare" my disks ......................

Sorry it took so long to get back to you but I've also got three dismembered PC I'm working on at the moment.

It's kind of frustrating on my end because I could do all of the above for you in a few minutes but I'm half a continent away.

Good Luck, and welcome to the wonderful world of IT.

I just think that it's totally awesome that you take the time to try and help me, and so many others, in TN. One of our resident geeks to help us TNers do TN :D

And yeah, when ya know what you're doing these jobs are fast and ticketty boo, for sure. Its hard to remember what its like to know zip to be able to explain things to "know zip" people when trying to help them. Troubleshooting must be very time consuming and frustrating when talking to people who know zip about computers functionings. My hats off to anyone who does that!

VERY KEWL!!!! I was able to download and run advanced windows care "clean disk" utility and it actually did it!!! My free space went from basically ZERO to almost 1/4 of C drive free again!!!!!!!!!! I KNEW there was a lot of crap files on here! Just didn't know how to recognize them to delete them. Now how bluddy kewl is THAT eh? :D Gawd how I love it when things work. Either that or I'm just in a euphoric mood from chocolate which I've been devouring and am overly reactive to small pleasures?! Endorphins release ... more please :D

For the record, I haven't attemped to slave drive this thing yet but I did manage to format a floppy and make a startup disk, and am trying to learn how to do "backup" (how to and what) which you folks tried explaining to me how to do in past but I wasn't able to. I think I'm not afraid to try it now if I learn how. THEN I will risk adding the slave drive.

Meanwhile, gawd how I love chocolate, especially when the sun and warmth is back and happening again. Beautiful combination, what? :D

VERY KEWL!!!! I was able to download and run advanced windows care "clean disk" utility and it actually did it!!! My free space went from basically ZERO to almost 1/4 of C drive free again!!!!!!!!!! I KNEW there was a lot of crap files on here! Just didn't know how to recognize them to delete them. Now how bluddy kewl is THAT eh? :D Gawd how I love it when things work. Either that or I'm just in a euphoric mood from chocolate which I've been devouring and am overly reactive to small pleasures?! Endorphins release ... more please :D

For the record, I haven't attemped to slave drive this thing yet but I did manage to format a floppy and make a startup disk, and am trying to learn how to do "backup" (how to and what) which you folks tried explaining to me how to do in past but I wasn't able to. I think I'm not afraid to try it now if I learn how. THEN I will risk adding the slave drive.

Meanwhile, gawd how I love chocolate, especially when the sun and warmth is back and happening again. Beautiful combination, what? :D

Good for you. :)

"Your mission, if you choose to accept it", is to install your spare HD. Figure that out and keep learning about your machine you might be able to make a few bucks working on and fixing your friends PCs. Don't laugh, if you can make some cash installing someones HD or DVD Drive go for it. At this point you probably know more about computers than most of your friends.

Good for you. :)

"Your mission, if you choose to accept it", is to install your spare HD. Figure that out and keep learning about your machine you might be able to make a few bucks working on and fixing your friends PCs. Don't laugh, if you can make some cash installing someones HD or DVD Drive go for it. At this point you probably know more about computers than most of your friends.

WooHoo ... pat pat. Thanks Evan :D

I'm not feeling ready to go at trying to install the new HD yet. Still want to figure out how to back my system up before I do that ... MEANWHILE I played with the ASC software and did some tasks while theres lots more memory room on the drive to do things. Kinda like housecleaning whats left in it before adding the new HD then reinstalling my programs I uninstalled. I ran the ASC and ..........

It completed scans and fixing a lot of problems, including it did another defrag that took about 4 HOURS!!!!! Holy hanna :D

It found and fixed 17 system optimization problems, fixed 3880 system defence problems, fixed 3131 fragmented files ... whatta dump eh?

AND it did a security analysis that I didn't know what actions to do as it mentioned some files were necessary and I don't have a clue what is and isn't necessary for my computer and programs ... my problem is not knowing whether to repair or not so I did nothing and just saved a report of what it found (a highjack this report?????) I think theres lots of stuff in there that shouldn't be on my computer. I was worried about "what if I "repair" and reactivate something thats a highjack or virus or something? ................ so til I'm sure what I'm doing, I'll do nothing.

Be nice to clear out all problems before I add the new HD and reinstall all my programs/hardwares again, so I can start clean as possible.

I think a lot of things I've "accomplished" so far are mostly "don't really know what I'm doing and boy am I a lucky duck cause my computer still works" :D You folks have helped me a lot too, while I haven't understood the techyness. I just did what I was told.

Well, keeping fingers crossed here as I carry on bit by bit.

;)

Question I haven't found a clear answer for in my books or online about adding slave drive:

Do I have to format/erase the new HD again BEFORE I try connecting it to the slave connection? Or do I just connect it as is and can format/erase installs on it via my master legit XP disk management once connected???

My worry is that the bad XP I installed on the new drive will conflict with my legit XP on my old sm HD.

I hope I explained that right ;)

Question I haven't found a clear answer for in my books or online about adding slave drive:

Do I have to format/erase the new HD again BEFORE I try connecting it to the slave connection? Or do I just connect it as is and can format/erase installs on it via my master legit XP disk management once connected???

My worry is that the bad XP I installed on the new drive will conflict with my legit XP on my old sm HD.

I hope I explained that right ;)

No, it won't interfere with your primary HD (C:). Just plug it in after you have it set to "slave". Once it's installed and you boot into Windows just find it and format it. After that's done we can help you with the little stuff. :)

No, it won't interfere with your primary HD (C:). Just plug it in after you have it set to "slave". Once it's installed and you boot into Windows just find it and format it. After that's done we can help you with the little stuff. :)

Well Evan, I'd feel totally happy to hear that if I weren't afraid that my good system is totally screwed now.

I was an idiot I think. I figured I had better redownload and install the sp3 stuff again while I had space again in case lack of space prevented the installs before, as I just learned that ms is no longer supporting earlier versions (sp2 etc) as of a couple of days ago.

So being a good girl I went in and it was downloading and installing beautifully ... then ... FREEZE ... my whole system froze. Had to shut er down cold and now my system is all screwed up. I can boot into a desktop that just shows a photo of my Mom that I put on the desktop ... ALL THE ICONS on the desktop and trays/bars are GONE. Just the start link shows, but its dead. Task manager will sometimes eventually come up but no applications show as running.

I managed to boot into safe mode, tried last good config .... pfffffffffffft

booted in safemode again and tried "restore" to yesterday before I installed, or tried, the sp3. ........... pfffft ... same desktop with no icons and a dead start button.

I'm stumped. That failed download process really effed things up and I don't know what to do now, not having the original xp disk for my legit xp :(

I'm in here on the new HD, which of course is screwy since its not properly installed and supported.

Any bright ideas? :(

I have been perusing the library books but ............ hmmmmmm.

If I've toasted my good OS then I am sunk without the original disk methinks ....

Well, I consider it a good sign that I can get into my system in safe mode! In the events area I found "an event ID 7026" --- info naming a lot of boot/start drivers failures to load. Not sure why they didn't or how to remedy that.

So its surfing and reading I will go ;)

Well, I consider it a good sign that I can get into my system in safe mode! In the events area I found "an event ID 7026" --- info naming a lot of boot/start drivers failures to load. Not sure why they didn't or how to remedy that.

So its surfing and reading I will go ;)

Ah, "No peace for the wicked, no rest for the weary". ;):P

You can try to install service pack 3 from safe mode or you can also try to uninstall the last program you installed. The last program you installed I guess is the Advanced Windows Care. You can also check if there are new drivers for your hardware the event logged is sometimes related to drivers.

Ah, "No peace for the wicked, no rest for the weary". ;):P

You can try to install service pack 3 from safe mode or you can also try to uninstall the last program you installed. The last program you installed I guess is the Advanced Windows Care. You can also check if there are new drivers for your hardware the event logged is sometimes related to drivers.

No rest is about right :D Meanwhile I'm lucky I can get online with my other drive for now while I figure things out.

I think I screwed up by trying to downlaod and install xp3 from ms. I think I was supposed to save the file and install from my machine, not from online and thats likely why I've had a hard time with sp3 not installing right before too.... so you're probably on the money, or something, about the AWC too. I'll uninstall that via the safe mode if it lets me then see if I can boot up properly. If not I'll try find if I can install sp3 again via safemode ... will keep you posted ;)

By the way the error message 7026 drivers that failed to load are

AFD

Fips

IPSec

MRxSmb

NetBios

NetBT

P3

RasAcd

Rdbss

Tcpip

WS2IFSL

Fun ............. BTW its a real trip to unplug and plugin the HD connectors with my gimpy hands. I have wounds to show for it ;) They sure are snug and hard to unplug!!!! Hope I don't damage them switching back and forth like a psycho :D

Edited by Dame Karmen

I think I figured out what the, or A problem is. It looks as though an application called Terminator (guaranteed to kill windows it says!!!) was installed on my computer and that it put some commands in my boot up process that blocks the drivers. Have been browsing a bit online trying to figure out how to get rid of it. Not had much luck yet.

At this rate I'll soon be computerless!

Ok I've really screwed things up now. I enabled some of the drivers etc while in safe mode ... and now I can't access safemode because it wants me to validate but you can't validate in safemode it says ......................... am talking about my old HD with the good windows that always validates and is accepted.

Will surf for fix info now while this other HD is still working some for me .....

Oh big fat sigh!

added later ...... got back in via safe mode :D

Edited by Dame Karmen

Time for me to officially kill this thread as it seems I've officially killed my old valid HD xp installation and no way to boot or fix it ... its now asking for system device drivers to be installed (current sys ones corrupt or missing says alerts LOL) from the original disk, which I do not have. boo hoo effen hoo. Gone baby gone the whole damned thing and everything in it (trying not to think of all the important stuff I lost or I'll cry) SO ......... I was going to call MS and ask what can I do ... but pointless because I then totally killed the sucker and no disk. FIDO to something new ...

will start a thread on new or different operating systems possibilities and solutions as I sure don't want to be using a bad (un-genuine) disk like a bad pirate and get in trouble for it ... as thats illegal. Right? :( dammit ...

see you in another thread because this one is dead dead dead!!! :D

What manufacturer and model computer do you have?

Does it have a XP COA sticker on it with 5 sets of five numbers\letters on it?

What version of XP is the sticker COA say?

Did NOT change to recycle bin settings yet .... afraid to permanantly delete something my cmputer needs to function while I'm messing around with everything

O, regarding previous advice, turning off the recycle bin will not harm the computer. It will only permannetly delete something that you select to be deleted.

Edit: Your still post online, take it you have a second computer in the house?

Edited by AETiglathPZ

What manufacturer and model computer do you have?

Does it have a XP COA sticker on it with 5 sets of five numbers\letters on it?

What version of XP is the sticker COA say?

O, regarding previous advice, turning off the recycle bin will not harm the computer. It will only permannetly delete something that you select to be deleted.

Edit: Your still post online, take it you have a second computer in the house?

One computer, 2 HD's. Both toast now as far as being able to install any kind of OS, which might be a cold day in hell ;) Such is life. What I need is the original disk for that one particular HD that I bought ($250) and I don't even recall the guys name. Oh well.

Needless to say, am verra cranky right now and about to call my server and ask them if they can suspend my net, at least for now. BTW I'm at the library computers right now ;) Cardholders can use computer up to one hour per day so I'll have to plan and budget online time ;)

Gotta go now.

Thanks everyone for trying to help ... :)

So this is a home built\hobbiest or small shop white box computer?

So not a Dell, Hompaq, Gacerway or major brand with a COA sticker on the side?

I bought it from a guy who upgraded to a better computer and the OS/computer was the original and valid to each other system and always validated. I totally trusted him as an honorable guy but he may have forgotten or lost track of the original disk. He must have worked like a manic to clean off his personal stuff in prep to get it to me on a deadline, delivered it all packed just before I headed to the airport to head West forever :D A bit rushed. I had validation issues a couple of times after installing stuff but they went through fine. Wouldn't work now though as that particular HD system is now toast without the original HD configs? and its OS disk on hand. I only hope I will find a way to recover my research and files .

For some reason, after a walk to do errands and some sinking in what I had lost, and maybe for a long time, feeling like a loser and pretty pathetic and impotent :D .... well, my time out, a rest, and dinner ---- I tried yet again with some disks on hand to get my new HD happening, at least temporarily to get online to look for , and boy did I get lucky, as here I be!!!! able to get online IN-BLUDDY-CREDIBLE!!!! so I can check out other operating systems possibilities. Someone mentioned Ubunto???

I can't believe the install completed ... after a gazillion attempts for the last few days. I have some grace for now.

God I miss my job and my paychecks for the unexpected!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it could be so damned simple eh? A job!!!!!!!

Anyways, am still working on computer issues but have a connection/OS resource for the moment, but not long ;)

I haven't slept for 2 days, between the OS problems and middle of the night prowlers making me, and others jump. It may just have been deer at dawn LOL

I need to make this OS issue right, soon though ;)

PS: I think the computer properties on my old HD said it was a build. It also noted something about a secondary primary during boot up but no 80 cable connector or some such. I think it used to have 2 HD's happening is my guess, hence the ribbon cable with two HD connectors on it.

Currently I'm on my new HD Woo Hoo ... (for now :D )

Enough. I am SO tired and punchy here ;)

Karmen,

I can answer so of your questions now, I was on my iPod Touch all weekend.

1) Yes you need the Microsoft Genuine Validation password to properly install windows.

2) There is software to clone your old HD onto your larger newer HD. If you know the manufacturer of the second HD you can usually download the software for free from the maker. There is no guarantee the maker has this software available for download but it is usually included with brand new HDs.

3) If your machine is a few years old as I presume it is, most motherboards have two IDE cable connectors. Each IDE cable can usually control two devices (HD, DVD-RW...etc). One end of the cable will be attached to the motherboard and one end will be attached to the HD. It might also be connected to the DVD/CD-ROM drive. You will probably need to change the jumper setting on the second larger HD to slave then you can plug the cable into it.

Wiki has images of the cables:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IDE_Cable

4) After you have both drives up and running (you can see both drives in Windows Explorer) you can format the second drive to hold data:

START>Setting>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management>Right click the HD you want to format>Click Format

or

START>Programs>Accessories>Windows Explorer>Click My Computer>Right click the HD you want to format>Click Format

5) If your computer is working fine and your only problem is lack of space it probably would be better just to add the second HD and move all you saved files (JPG, PDF, DOC ,AVI, MP3, TXT...etc.) to the new HD. Also when you do downloads you can save them to the second larger drive and not have to worry about taking up valuable space. The other advantage is if you PC crashes you are less likely to lose your valuable data because it's not on the main HD. If worse comes to worse you can remove it and install it in another computer or put it in an external case and access all the data with another PC.

Hope this helps

Hi again. I've been searching online and can't find specific answers about this, maybe because I don't know what to ask in my searches ;)

So, some questions for anyone who wants to answer. Am looking for simple yes or no type answers, not about "how to" unless you're into explaining (which is time consuming):

1) When you ADD a secondary HD, must the added one be empty of any type of OS at all? or can you just connect it even if it has a different installation of (XP) or different OS altogether already installed on it?

2) Can I make my old HD the 2ndary slave and the new HD the Primary Master? Is that possible to just switch them round? ----- remembering that my old HD needs repairs/fixes and can't boot the OS, not even safemode, and I wasn't provided with an OS disk when I bought it. Its not finding the psi.sys driver! Am of course hoping that if I can make my old HD the slave that I can fix it via the master new HD.

BTW my HD's used to be 32bit but now they say they are NTFS??? an issue? Or can I just ignore? Yes/No?

;)

BTW I have downloaded Ubunto in prep to try burn its ISO file to an image so I can try it and switch to that at some point, after I've figured out how to do everything ;)

Edited by Dame Karmen

Hi again. I've been searching online and can't find specific answers about this, maybe because I don't know what to ask in my searches ;)

So, some questions for anyone who wants to answer. Am looking for simple yes or no type answers, not about "how to" unless you're into explaining (which is time consuming):

1) When you ADD a secondary HD, must the added one be empty of any type of OS at all? or can you just connect it even if it has a different installation of (XP) or different OS altogether already installed on it?

2) Can I make my old HD the 2ndary slave and the new HD the Primary Master? Is that possible to just switch them round? ----- remembering that my old HD needs repairs/fixes and can't boot the OS, not even safemode, and I wasn't provided with an OS disk when I bought it. Its not finding the psi.sys driver! Am of course hoping that if I can make my old HD the slave that I can fix it via the master new HD.

BTW my HD's used to be 32bit but now they say they are NTFS??? an issue? Or can I just ignore? Yes/No?

;)

BTW I have downloaded Ubunto in prep to try burn its ISO file to an image so I can try it and switch to that at some point, after I've figured out how to do everything ;)

1) Nope, you can just add it to the cable. If it's in a readable format or the drive isn't trashed it will show up in Windows Explorer.

2) Yes, you can make your old HD the slave. If it does, save your important info right away.

3) NTFS is just the file system used by Windows XP/Vista/7. As far as you are concerned it doesn't matter one bit, it will seem exactly the same to you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ntfs