HD shows LESS space AFTER removing stuff?

Dame Karmen

Hi.

I haven't been able to perform a defrag on my HD since forever, so I was thinking to remove a whole lot of programs and stuff, defrag, the replace the programs after defrag BUT .... something keeps filling up my HD ... I think???

To go to defrag brings up info saying only 2% free space left ... and thats AFTER removing a whole lot of big programs etc, then rebooting computer, the defrag area shows only 1% free space now.

WHY would there be less space AFTER removing so much??? There should be a lot more free space left so I can at last defrag, or whatever ... shouldn't there???? But the opposite is true :(

Defrag says it needs 15% space to perform.

I really don't understand why removing stuff does NOT increase free space left.

Thanks for any info or pointers.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did you free up space? Did you ADD\REMOVE programs or just delete and empty the recycle bin? What size is your Hard Drive? or Drives?

1)One do DISK ClEANUP. Go to START > All Programs > Accessories > System Tool > Disk Cleanup

Start that up and click on EVERYTHING but COMPRESS OLD FILES.

Click on the MORE OPTIONS TAB and then the SYSTEM RESTORE(Clean Up) TAB and click YES.

Then press OK.

2) Go to the RECYCLE BIN Icon > PROPERTIES > and check "DO NOT MOVE FILES TO THE RECYCLE BIN. REMOVE FILES IMMEDIATELY WHEN DELETED.

This will immediate delete anything meant to be deleted with no going back. But your HD is pretty full.

How much space do you have now?

How did you free up space? Did you ADD\REMOVE programs or just delete and empty the recycle bin? What size is your Hard Drive? or Drives?

HD = 37.25 GB

I now show 5% after doing the steps you mentioned (thats up from 1 or 2%!)

First I removed a few programs via the add/remove programs area. I even removed the firefox browser, adobe stuff including pdf reader and otherPreviously I had also removed a lot of photos and old files, can't remember what all I removed :D

1)One do DISK ClEANUP. Go to START > All Programs > Accessories > System Tool > Disk Cleanup

Done (hence now showing 5%) BUT I saw NO reference at all to "compress old files" ... ?

Start that up and click on EVERYTHING but COMPRESS OLD FILES.

Click on the MORE OPTIONS TAB and then the SYSTEM RESTORE(Clean Up) TAB and click YES.

Then press OK.

Done

2) Go to the RECYCLE BIN Icon > PROPERTIES > and check "DO NOT MOVE FILES TO THE RECYCLE BIN. REMOVE FILES IMMEDIATELY WHEN DELETED.

This will immediate delete anything meant to be deleted with no going back. But your HD is pretty full.

How much space do you have now?

Did NOT change to recycle bin settings yet .... afraid to permanantly delete something my cmputer needs to function while I'm messing around with everything ;)

As said ... I now show 5% free space.

For the record, I still have a new HD, about 100GB??? that I haven't been able to format and install as yet. It just won't format or "take" new install of windows xp pro.

There are SO many weird files on my computer that never used to be there, showing under installed programs now too. Things with C+ or XML etc. LOTS of downloaded updates of xp 2/3 etc Are these things for shared and remote computer sharing??? I dunno :( I did turn off/disable a lot of "remote sharing" "rpc" etc

I don't even have antivirus protection at the moment as I removed everything to try defrag then planned to redownload protection.

I'm very confused and cranky right now LOL

Edited by Dame Karmen

Hi again. Something that confused me about my computer and going online is that I now have TWO urls. One day the "https" was just "there"

HTTP my normal online url!

HTTPS ???????? WTF is this?

Edited by Dame Karmen

Hi again. Something that confused me about my computer and going online is that I now have TWO urls. One day the "https" was just "there"

HTTP my normal online url!

HTTPS ???????? WTF is this?

Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_Secure

Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_Secure

Ok. Skimmed through that info and its still totally confusing to me! :D I have NO idea why this SSL and C+ yada yada stuff was activated and made to happen on my machine. Seems likes its all related to doing business transactions securely online???

Some time back I DID download some Quickbooks accounting stuff to check it out, how it looks and works, when I was thinking about and trying to learn something about self employment/home based biz and doing secure business transactions online. I removed the quickbooks software some time ago and do no business at all online. I just use email and surf, make some online payments for services and thats about it.

My thinking, though I am very dense about computer stuff, is that if all of those extra functions/bits are activated on my machine then wouldn't that take up a lot of free space? I don't use them, don't need them, don't want them! How do I get rid of them while not screwing up having a functional computer and using the net?

The 64 dollar question is this: Would removing them or somehow deactivating them all free up a lot of space on the HD???

I used to be able to defrag my computer!

I really do feel totally stupid and frustrated here :(

Very weird. I removed even more software from my HD again and now its showing LESS free space than showed BEFORE I removed it! Again.

Can this be a virus problem do you think? Something filling up my HD???

I'm back :P

I ended up removing a lot more stuff and files (mainly all my HP scanner/printer software and all the XP service packs as I saw they took a lot of space :D ) did clean disk steps afterwards. I thought maybe removing them might give me space and I could replace them afterwards. I ended up with 7% freespace, tried defrag and told it to scan anyways even though it did not have the recommended 15% It actually defragged!!!! although it couldn't defrag a number of fragmented files. Oh well. Point is is it got through the whole defrag process which took FOREVER ... AND without crashing/freezing or trashing my computer PHEW. It completed, except for the files it couldn't defrag. Oh well.

I then redownoaded all the MS XP updates and service packs (my system has a hard time and keeps failing at installing the service packs anyways! SP2 AND SP3 ... I don't know what the probem is preventing installing. Oh well!

So am back up to where my system was, minus many programs which I'll have to redownload/install. Now I see my IE is also upgraded to IE 8! Oh well :D

So, here I be still operating and even online. With stuff to figure out still. Like getting those updates and SP packs installed, as well as my programs I use, inluding PDF readers and such. Windows XP and Office sure take up a lot of computer space!!!!!!!! or so it appears.

Meanwhile ......... I dropped into the library when I went to the store this evening and found 2 books that might help me get my new HD in or get this one in better shape.

PC Repair & Maintenance a Practical Guide by Joel Rosenthal & Kevin Irwin... which includes help for XP.

Also The Complete Idiots Guide to Windows XP.

I hope I can understand and use them. Wish me luck eh? I feel so dense and absolutely stupid. I'm not smart about anything at all, feel absolutely useless and dumb bout computer stuff or learning, and my ego sure needs a boost by now, so I had better bloody well learn and accomplish something ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

BTW I noticed that all that C++ XML whatevers all seem related to XP updates and service packs so they belong to XP ... and I assume they should stay?

The service packs are probably failing to install due to a lack of disk space. I wouldn't install anything new until you get that new hard drive installed!

From the small hard drive you mentioned, I'm assuming that you are using a laptop. I'd find my manufacturer's restore disk, swap out the hard drive, then restore Windows to the new hard drives. You can buy a cheap ($20) USB to hard drive kit to connect your old hard drive and then transfer your data across. Or buy an external hard drive kit and put your old drive into it - its a bit more permanent than the other way.

Good luck!

The service packs are probably failing to install due to a lack of disk space. I wouldn't install anything new until you get that new hard drive installed!

From the small hard drive you mentioned, I'm assuming that you are using a laptop. I'd find my manufacturer's restore disk, swap out the hard drive, then restore Windows to the new hard drives. You can buy a cheap ($20) USB to hard drive kit to connect your old hard drive and then transfer your data across. Or buy an external hard drive kit and put your old drive into it - its a bit more permanent than the other way.

Good luck!

Hi! Thanks for your input here :)

For starters, nope, not a laptop. A full computer/desktop with external tower, monitor yada yada.

OK. I agree thats probably the problem re not installng the SP's. No room at the Inn :D Although my computer did install them AFTER i removed everything and defraggged but now I'm back to almost zero free space left with that SP2 installed now.

I don't have a "manufacturers restore disk" whatever that is????? and I don't know what you mean by "swap out" or "restore Windows to the new HD'. I still don't understand Geeky-Greek language :D

OK. What I DO have is:

One HD, too small but it has a valid copy of Windows but NO DISKS available. I got no disks with it when I bought the machine !!!!

One new HD more than twice as big for space, TWO XP disks that MS says both are invalid and won't work with them :(

I was surprized today when I decided to connect to the new HD and found it works - provided valid installations were on it, which obviously they aren't valid!

Sounds like, by what you say, that I should be able to somehow get my current small HD valid Windows to work on the new HD ... but WITHOUT THE DISKS am I sunk????

Hey again.

By "manufacturers restore disk" do you mean a disk that goes with the HD? If so, I wonder if I can download this from the manufacturers site? (as soon as I can figure out who manufactured the disk that is!)

PS: It looks like the new HD is a Seagate which was bought new, and I don't ever recall them providing me a disk to go with the HD???

Edited by Dame Karmen

I was surprized today when I decided to connect to the new HD and found it works - provided valid installations were on it, which obviously they aren't valid!

Karmen,

Do you mean that the second large HD is installed in your PC? If so you can just format it and shovel all your extra files and downloads onto it. That would be the best solution. You don't need a really large primary HD just to run the Windows OS.

Karmen,

Do you mean that the second large HD is installed in your PC? If so you can just format it and shovel all your extra files and downloads onto it. That would be the best solution. You don't need a really large primary HD just to run the Windows OS.

Currently I have TWO HD's. I have to unplug the same cords from one HD and plug them into the other (both HD are set in the one case/tower) back and forth as I fiddle with the new one which has invalid windows. Like running two computers but using the same connection cords and tower/case, have to switch that way!

The new HD is:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 80GB

Lots of problems with the new HD though:

Apparently invalid copies of Windows so MS will NOT update it and work with me :(

The new HD won't allow me to format itself. ...

I HAD wondered if I could format C drive to start from scratch with a fresh install of XP attempt again via going into the setup area at bootup ... you know, hitting delete during boot up to be taken into the HD settings ... but I couldn't even get in there to have a look at whats in there as it demanded a password from me. I must have put a password protect on it so I can't get in there at all now ARGH IS THERE A WAY TO GET RID OF THAT PASSWORD??? though I don't know what PW I gave?

Geez. I wish I could just copy/paste my damned valid XP program and send it to myself in an email because I can get at my Yahoo email via BOTH hard drives :D Email is the only connection/communication link that I have between the two HD's.

I sure wish I had the disks for the valid copy :( The guy didn't give them to me when he sold me the computer. I only have whats installed.

I'm tired and confused right now so better shut up until I'm more clearheaded again :D

Edited by Dame Karmen

PS:

What I'm TRYING to do is have ONE HD ... the new 80GB one that can hold all my programs so I have access to them all in one place (one HD)

Karmen, you may want to have a look to this in order to put the old disk in a useful operating state. Afterwards it may be possible to use the second disk.

BTW, almost all motherboards have more than one HDD connections. Why not use the two HD together?

Karmen, you may want to have a look to this in order to put the old disk in a useful operating state. Afterwards it may be possible to use the second disk.

BTW, almost all motherboards have more than one HDD connections. Why not use the two HD together?

Am about to visit that link now, but quick reply to why not use 2 together?

I don't know how :D And if it costs money, even a lousy $5.oo, I just don't have it ;)

But wait a sec, I won a free ticket for lotto Max and maybe I'll check now to see if I won and can buy everyone in TN a new computer :D :D back shortly ....

That site looks very interesting. I'll have a proper look through tomorrow. Its 3 a.m. here and my brain is toast. Too HOT in my apt. The thermometer shows almost 30C in here and I'm all sweaty (don't get excited guys :D ) ...

Well, hate to be disappointed and to disappoint, but I only won $1.oo on the Extra, so there will be no new computers for me or any of you. Sorry my friends :D

I'm going to bed now. Sleep should improve my disposition ...... I hope ;)

I'm going to check out that tweaking site now.

BTW I had removed my Mozilla browser to free up some more space and instead of downloading it again after defragging, after browsing this broken computers area I spotted mentions of someone using Opera, so I thought I'd check it out. I downloaded it, it took, and wow, am using it and it changes and loads pages pretty darned fast :) IExploder is so big and so slow with so much going on in it, animations etc, its a slow pain to browse with it.

Out of curiosity I had also been checking online for if there is such a creature as a free operating system you can just download and install from the net ... wondering if that might be a possible means of an OS for the new drive if I can't properly install XP on it. I seem to remember reading that MS has fixed it so that if they say your copy is invalid then it will stop working completely??? That would suck.

Anyways, just popped in to get at that tweak link again and had to blah blah blah a bit :D

So ... how come no one told me I had to "boot from CD" during boot up process to format and install windows? :D (I forgot that process ... and I didn't need a password either!)

At any rate, I just did that, hoping I selected the correct things for input (partition yada yada, not a clue but I just selected things hoping for the best, including "format" first) I must have done it right because it installed windows xp fresh from a disk, but same problem as before. Its NOT a valid/genuine windows says MS :(

I guess the one that came installed on my small old drive is the one I have to use since I have no disks. Oh well. Such is life eh? :D

I'm currently in here on my new HD with the un-genuine windoze, unsafe surfing :D

So ... how come no one told me I had to "boot from CD" during boot up process to format and install windows? :D (I forgot that process ... and I didn't need a password either!)

At any rate, I just did that, hoping I selected the correct things for input (partition yada yada, not a clue but I just selected things hoping for the best, including "format" first) I must have done it right because it installed windows xp fresh from a disk, but same problem as before. Its NOT a valid/genuine windows says MS :(

I guess the one that came installed on my small old drive is the one I have to use since I have no disks. Oh well. Such is life eh? :D

I'm currently in here on my new HD with the un-genuine windoze, unsafe surfing :D

Karmen,

I can answer so of your questions now, I was on my iPod Touch all weekend.

1) Yes you need the Microsoft Genuine Validation password to properly install windows.

2) There is software to clone your old HD onto your larger newer HD. If you know the manufacturer of the second HD you can usually download the software for free from the maker. There is no guarantee the maker has this software available for download but it is usually included with brand new HDs.

3) If your machine is a few years old as I presume it is, most motherboards have two IDE cable connectors. Each IDE cable can usually control two devices (HD, DVD-RW...etc). One end of the cable will be attached to the motherboard and one end will be attached to the HD. It might also be connected to the DVD/CD-ROM drive. You will probably need to change the jumper setting on the second larger HD to slave then you can plug the cable into it.

Wiki has images of the cables:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IDE_Cable

4) After you have both drives up and running (you can see both drives in Windows Explorer) you can format the second drive to hold data:

START>Setting>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management>Right click the HD you want to format>Click Format

or

START>Programs>Accessories>Windows Explorer>Click My Computer>Right click the HD you want to format>Click Format

5) If your computer is working fine and your only problem is lack of space it probably would be better just to add the second HD and move all you saved files (JPG, PDF, DOC ,AVI, MP3, TXT...etc.) to the new HD. Also when you do downloads you can save them to the second larger drive and not have to worry about taking up valuable space. The other advantage is if you PC crashes you are less likely to lose your valuable data because it's not on the main HD. If worse comes to worse you can remove it and install it in another computer or put it in an external case and access all the data with another PC.

Hope this helps

Karmen,

I can answer so of your questions now, I was on my iPod Touch all weekend.

1) Yes you need the Microsoft Genuine Validation password to properly install windows.

For starters Evan THANK YOU for always taking me seriously and trying to help me. Boy o I owe you a good drunken night or something :D If theres ever anything you think I might be able to do for you as returned good karma, just ask and I will do if I can. Same goes for anyone and everyone else of TN who has ever helped me in any way! I have time and energy AND a net connection, for whatever I can do and all people have to do is ask me.

When installing the windoze, it requested the "key" 5 slots for 5 series of numbers. I entered them, they took, and windoze installed. The validation from MS didn't work, stating "invalid" and using words such as "may have a counterfiet copy" (yikes! that doesn't sound good!) All this mentioned again just for FYI BTW the disks were given to me by someone and I assumed they were "good"

2) There is software to clone your old HD onto your larger newer HD. If you know the manufacturer of the second HD you can usually download the software for free from the maker. There is no guarantee the maker has this software available for download but it is usually included with brand new HDs.

The new HD is allegedly new. I mentioned the model/make earlier in the thread. A Seagate Barracuda 7200 10 80GB if I remember correctly. I bought it from the local computer store. I don't recall ever getting any disks or anything with it. Just the ready to go HD which was up to me to connect to my machine at home and install, including me putting the OS on it.

I'll visit the Seagate site again to see if I can spot and find the download you mention. SHOULD the computer store have given me a disk of that???

3) If your machine is a few years old as I presume it is, most motherboards have two IDE cable connectors. Each IDE cable can usually control two devices (HD, DVD-RW...etc). One end of the cable will be attached to the motherboard and one end will be attached to the HD. It might also be connected to the DVD/CD-ROM drive. You will probably need to change the jumper setting on the second larger HD to slave then you can plug the cable into it.

Wiki has images of the cables:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IDE_Cable

Yes my machine is a few years old. I don't know how old though as I bought it used. It had XP on it.

Looking inside the case I see the MB (I think LOL) and I see TWO of those cables running from it.

One runs from the MB to the DVD player

The other runs from the MB to the HD .. its this one that I've been switching between HD's.

I will have to figure out what you mean me to do to regards the "change jumper setting to slave" -------- meaning I should go through the whole setup process while booting from CD again???

Sorry I'm confused about all this.

I won't respond to the rest of your advice yet, about "after both drives up & running" ... will get back to that step after I've understood and accomplished things up to ths point.

4) After you have both drives up and running (you can see both drives in Windows Explorer) you can format the second drive to hold data:

START>Setting>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management>Right click the HD you want to format>Click Format

or

START>Programs>Accessories>Windows Explorer>Click My Computer>Right click the HD you want to format>Click Format

5) If your computer is working fine and your only problem is lack of space it probably would be better just to add the second HD and move all you saved files (JPG, PDF, DOC ,AVI, MP3, TXT...etc.) to the new HD. Also when you do downloads you can save them to the second larger drive and not have to worry about taking up valuable space. The other advantage is if you PC crashes you are less likely to lose your valuable data because it's not on the main HD. If worse comes to worse you can remove it and install it in another computer or put it in an external case and access all the data with another PC.

Hope this helps

I found this in Seagate and will browse through the info although I already feel like I have a huge comprehension mental block happening here. I be scared :D its like walking into a store in another country and all products and info are alien and its not my first or 2nd language either! :D

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=199419&NewLang=en

I'm on my old small HD with good windoze right now. Am checking out the info Seagate (link). I'd like to see photos though to see what the case and hardware innards and connectors/connections look like, or SHOULD look like. Things sink in better when I can see the "visual".

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=196291&NewLang=en&Hilite=

My understanding, what I'm getting, is that provided I have all the correct cables and they are connected correctly etc, I should be able to go into disk management through my current sm HD and setup the new one from here

OK also found this page about migrating/cloning etc:

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=201991&NewLang=en

Edited by Dame Karmen