King Sargent Memorial Get-together

Michael Eastes

For those of you who might be able to make the trip, King's potlatch/ memorial will be on 3 July, near Fairbanks, AK.

Those needing more information should contact King's friends and former housemates, Kim and Dave Stewart, email kstewart@alaska.edu .

For those of you who might be able to make the trip, King's potlatch/ memorial will be on 3 July, near Fairbanks, AK.

Those needing more information should contact King's friends and former housemates, Kim and Dave Stewart, email kstewart@alaska.edu .

I highly doubt I could swing this gathering, barring big changes, so if I don't, I hope someone will stand in for me there and raise a toast or have a "shot" for me for him? I sure miss not being able to call or email him anymore. When you know someone who knows almost everything there is to know about you, and I mean everything, and they're still strong friend, then you miss them. Some threads in here lately seem ... so different, and less. Places where you know he'd jump in.

Anyways, I think its totally wonderful to honour King's wishes with the sendoff he wants.

• 4 weeks later...

He's on my mind, glad I got to meet the man.

At some other time or in another thread, I'll share an anecdote that captured his "essence". It was enjoyed by several.

I don't think there's a better thread or time, frankly.

I don't think there's a better thread or time, frankly.

That is correct. Doug you should post those here.

PS Me? I have the money but not the time. The only anecdote I remember has already been posted but i will post again:

At the 2005 get together at Littlefield's I greeted him as he got out of a vehicle...

"Hey Sarge, ya packin' heat?"

"I'm dressed aren't I"

:lol:

I will never forget. :excl:

Its sad I can't share my good news with King about the bad neighbor evicted now, or the good news about the quiet enjoyment at last on the home front, King would be SO happy to hear how life has improved majorly here for me. He cared and worried a lot about my situations, my safety ... as he did with people he cared about. Warm fuzzies.

That is correct. Doug you should post those here.

Rolling up to a stoplight at I&I09 on a peaceful Sat. or Sun. AM at the Naval Air Exhibit, from the passenger's seat beside me in my Pathfinder he proclaims in a low voice "Another asshole". Six other people in the car (including the driver, myself) start looking around straining their necks for the errant driver that his comment suggested had done us dirty in light traffic. What emerged was that a soccer mom van pulled up neatly beside us with an "Obama" sticker in the back. Simultaneous recognition of the driver's offense registered and hilarity ensued. It hit everybody at once like a punchline with a delayed fuse.

Rolling up to a stoplight at I&I09 on a peaceful Sat. or Sun. AM at the Naval Air Exhibit, from the passenger's seat beside me in my Pathfinder he proclaims in a low voice "Another asshole". Six other people in the car (including the driver, myself) start looking around straining their necks for the errant driver that his comment suggested had done us dirty in light traffic. What emerged was that a soccer mom van pulled up neatly beside us with an "Obama" sticker in the back. Simultaneous recognition of the driver's offense registered and hilarity ensued. It hit everybody at once like a punchline with a delayed fuse.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Being one of the non-drinking variety, I toasted King last night with a large glass of juice. I did it thinking if he were there he would make a snide comment about my choice of drink. :)

Being one of the non-drinking variety, I toasted King last night with a large glass of juice. I did it thinking if he were there he would make a snide comment about my choice of drink. :)

Not snide if it was Kyani juice :D (Alaska wild blueberry juice)

I recall King being very tolerant of other peoples' choice, or lack of, vice. It was your deal, not his biz.

I recall King being very tolerant of other peoples' choice, or lack of, vice. It was your deal, not his biz.

I meant that whilst being tolerant, he'd give me some friendly ribbing. I generally expect nothing less. :)

In case you were wondering....

"Hi Mike, sorry, I didn't even think to take pictures. It was a nice, informal event, not a lot of people (about 15 local). We had a great picture of him standing on a tank, showing him at his happiest, at table with some flowers and some Irish Whiskey with shot glasses so people could give him a toast. A lot of nice things were said and good memories remembered. Thanks for thinking about him, Kim"

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 4:35 PM, Mike Steele <:

Kristen

Are there photos of Kings potlach? If so, please foward them. Thanks

Warmest Regards

Mike

You and me both Kim.B)