tanknet.org

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

T-62, looks like 115mm gun

Through hull is 7-wheeled, so it is new at least.

This is so cool...I've always been interested in North Korean tanks...as some of you remember. 🙂  So, this new tank represents a new "branch" in the family tree. As far as we know (based on what is reported in the open press), there were two previous "modern" branches...the Seon'gun-915 (T-72 equivalent with 125mm main gun), and the Ch'ŏnma-ho series (T-62 equivalent, I through VI and including the most recent "214," "215," and "216" variants...all with 115mm main gun). Depending on the parade, they can also mount grenade launchers, ATGM launchers, and small MANPADS missile systems on their turrets. They can also include BDD-like add-on armor and ERA...

This new tank just paraded on 10/10/20 is something new...here are my two cents (well, my first two cents)...

• How do you appear to be a larger world player than you actually are? Paint a few interesting new tanks in desert cammo and put them on parade (maybe these things are for sale...to someone who lives in the desert?)
  • Like the Armata itself, it's hard to determine what exactly is going on underneath all that sheet metal
  • Up to now, the indigenous composite/add-on armor that we've seen is apparently based on outdated designs (like BDD)...one exception to this may be the composite/special armor design used on the turret of the Seon'gun-915...so either they've come a long way in the development of indigenous protective armor or they've found someone to provide it 
  • The gun on this new tank doesn't look right to me...based on the images I've seen so far, it's not a 115mm or a 125mm...I'm thinking it's a dummy gun             

One thing about the fake looking Iranian tanks is that international agreements made it so that importing new tanks like T-90 were forbidding. Any defense literate Iranians probably know that so that might make it easy for them to just go along with fake looking tough tanks. Maybe mentally thinking of them as just place holders until they can import or develop something knowingly good. Might be similar with DPRK. Of course the importing of other things like S-300 or TELs still happens so, well, maybe not.. or just avoiding the stretching of international treaty agreement too much. 

Iranian tanks are not fake (some subsystems might...), they are just... weird and pointless.

On 10/12/2020 at 11:01 PM, Jim Warford said:

This is so cool...I've always been interested in North Korean tanks...as some of you remember. 🙂  So, this new tank represents a new "branch" in the family tree. As far as we know (based on what is reported in the open press), there were two previous "modern" branches...the Seon'gun-915 (T-72 equivalent with 125mm main gun), and the Ch'ŏnma-ho series (T-62 equivalent, I through VI and including the most recent "214," "215," and "216" variants...all with 115mm main gun). Depending on the parade, they can also mount grenade launchers, ATGM launchers, and small MANPADS missile systems on their turrets. They can also include BDD-like add-on armor and ERA...

This new tank just paraded on 10/10/20 is something new...here are my two cents (well, my first two cents)...

• How do you appear to be a larger world player than you actually are? Paint a few interesting new tanks in desert cammo and put them on parade (maybe these things are for sale...to someone who lives in the desert?)
  • Like the Armata itself, it's hard to determine what exactly is going on underneath all that sheet metal
  • Up to now, the indigenous composite/add-on armor that we've seen is apparently based on outdated designs (like BDD)...one exception to this may be the composite/special armor design used on the turret of the Seon'gun-915...so either they've come a long way in the development of indigenous protective armor or they've found someone to provide it 
  • The gun on this new tank doesn't look right to me...based on the images I've seen so far, it's not a 115mm or a 125mm...I'm thinking it's a dummy gun             

That main gun still doesn't look right to me...also, the lack of IR searchlights and what could be (if they're real), hunter-killer optics could be a significant leap forward. The question comes back to, where did these technology improvements come from? Up to now, most North Korean indigenous tank technology has been pretty basic and simply constructed. If the systems shown here are real, there's a bigger story...

TowsnVR.jpg 

hEk9pJV.jpg    

3 hours ago, Simon Tan said:

Thermals etc. from Chynah.

If they are there and are not empty boxes, note how neatly the smoke dischargers fit in the "armor" modules.

40 minutes ago, Simon Tan said:

Thermals are now super accessible. Our railway police use them to check on commuters.

No doubt, but how are the NKs paying for them? 

15 hours ago, RETAC21 said:

No doubt, but how are the NKs paying for them? 

And did they pay for finished products or just the designs?  Because I know Iran has built some thermal imaging systems, so its not out of the realm of possibility for North Korea to have acquired such a capability.

Edited by Dark_Falcon
7 hours ago, Dark_Falcon said:

And did they pay for finished products or just the designs?  Because I know Iran has built some thermal imaging systems, so its not out of the realm of possibility for North Korea to have acquired such a capability.

People who know the NKs sez that they are backward only due to lack of resources, but are extremely capable if the Dear Leader orders to, being persistent enough to learn and develop what the Dear Leader orders them to, so with some Iranian/Chinese help, certainly

• 3 weeks later...

Here are a couple higher-resolution pics of this new tank...some new details are interesting, but it's still hard to draw any real conclusions. Here's a question; why would you extend the hull but (apparently), keep a conventional 3-man turret?   

t67yhkL.jpg

dtFT4CJ.jpg

• 3 weeks later...