Companion

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Re: that twin grenade launcher, might be useful in urban combat operations, no?

Is there any indication that the North Koreans have been taking notes of developments in Syria (or other such conflicts) and have adapted their vehicles, doctrine or otherwise tactics accordingly?

I do understand why they'd make a point of showing MANPADS on as many vehicles as possible, but perhaps there's more to those twin grenade launchers than just for parade purposes.

Has anyone fielded such a weapon on an MBT before? Apart from Israeli MBT's mounting a 60mm mortar which isn't quite the same, I can't think of anyone using an automatic grenade launcher on an MBT...

Re: that twin grenade launcher, might be useful in urban combat operations, no?

Is there any indication that the North Koreans have been taking notes of developments in Syria (or other such conflicts) and have adapted their vehicles, doctrine or otherwise tactics accordingly?

I do understand why they'd make a point of showing MANPADS on as many vehicles as possible, but perhaps there's more to those twin grenade launchers than just for parade purposes.

Has anyone fielded such a weapon on an MBT before? Apart from Israeli MBT's mounting a 60mm mortar which isn't quite the same, I can't think of anyone using an automatic grenade launcher on an MBT...

Probably reasoning similar to the reasoning for the US gun trucks in VN and Soviet use of both gun trucks and SPAAGs (and helo rocket pods on everything from gun trucks to T-62 tanks) for anti-ambush work in Afghanistan and, partly, Chechnya. Must be that the Norks are planning to fight their war against South Korea in severely built-up environments - be it mountain roads or more or less densely populated areas (even multi-storey, if we regard the KPV mounts). How well it works depends entirely on the nature of the mounts - WW2 style pintle is just moral boost, OWS or RCWS could even be of practical use in some circumstances.

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I assume those are a pair of ATGMs on the side of the turret, did previous generations of DPRK main battle tanks have the ability to fire gun-launched ATGMs?  I thought one of their more recent MBT models had an ATGM launcher mounted on the turret roof, along with MANPADS and a KPV.

Also shown in the parade were a couple models of wheeled armored vehicles with multiple ATGM launchers, I think the one with 8 boxed launchers had been seen before.

It makes some sense as a larger and more capable missile can be used, especially on older tanks with obsolete guns.

Bulsae-3 is apparently based on the Kornet, and likely well surpasses the performance of any 125mm GLATGM.