America's Army

Stefan Fredriksson

I downloaded the game. http://www.americasarmy.com

Completed basic. And finally made it Expert Marksman, so I got to go to sniper school. Not much fun there, but you get to use sniper-rifles in-game.

Multiplayer is a bit laggy for me, even though I am on ADSL.

But gameplay is good.

You only get one life in each game, no respawns. But games are only about 5-10 minutes long, and when you die, you can piggyback on the other players.

If you like Delta Force and the likes - give this a try.

onsidering that the game is fnded by the US taxpayer, I doubt there'll be one somehow

I can't be buggered downloading the sniper school, the game play is somewhat "odd", it seems to combine all the worst points of Operation flashpoint and counterstrike into one...

I've been playing for last week or so - any my conclusions is that this game calls for clan/squad play. Without effective communication between players, it devolves into standard mob runaround. However, when you get some moderately cluefull players who support you with fire and movement, it's a helluvalot of fun. Anybody want to try to do it sometime?

New patch, 49mb, available!

"1. Added Airborne School/Tour (adds parachuting)

2. Added Ranger School/Tour (must complete Airborne to play Ranger)

3. New commo voices and radio commands, shouts and whispers.

4. New variation on M4 (full auto with scope attachment). New Opfor Sniper Rifle"

"Time to go to Airborne School, soldier! whoa!"

When are they adding the modules for KP, boot shining, blanket parties, cleaning your rifle to pass the Q-tip test, and D&C when the wet bulb is 99 degrees. If they want an accurate sim then these items are a must .

(Fortunately, I don't have to play THOSE games anymore)

Matt

He he, I guess they will come after they have lured us in with the "action"-part of being a soldier.

A bit of warning about the update though!

I downloaded it, but it messed the whole game up. So I had to download the complete game, 270mb, again.

But then again, you will get v1.2.0

And you can log in with your old account, and finished courses are still finished.

Originally posted by Lentzner:

When are they adding the modules for KP, boot shining, blanket parties, cleaning your rifle to pass the Q-tip test, and D&C when the wet bulb is 99 degrees. If they want an accurate sim then these items are a must   .

(Fortunately, I don't have to play THOSE games anymore)

Matt

Push-ups, getting gigged, and picking up women during leave . . .

"clicking the mouse sips the beer, but double clicking chugs it . . ."

Peace,

MCab

Originally posted by MCab:

Push-ups, getting gigged, and picking up women during leave . . .

"clicking the mouse sips the beer, but double clicking chugs it . . ."

Peace,

MCab

Or how about:

Trying to get the dollar in the stripper's G-string while drunk. Too many misses and the bouncers toss you out. People might actually enjoy that one if the "texture" maps are done well .

Regards,

Matt

Originally posted by Lentzner:

Or how about:

Trying to get the dollar in the stripper's G-string while drunk. Too many misses and the bouncers toss you out. People might actually enjoy that one if the "texture" maps are done well   .

Regards,

Matt

But scoring 5/5 gets you an "Expert Deviant" badge.

Peace,

MCab

• 1 month later...

they are miising all the fun of basic training (as one who did basic training fro real 3 times...). they don't make you hate your sargent, they don't let you running around with a broomstick when you do something wrong. they didn't get to make you think "why the hell did i join the army?!". that's lame http://63.99.108.76/ubb/biggrin.gif

but i liked the ability to shoot with iron sights, it's very nice and quite realistic, although it's a bit different than the iron sights we have in the IDF, and ranges are different too...

all in all a very cool game

if any of you are interested in playing against an IDF style oponent, just say so and we'll "take it outside" http://63.99.108.76/ubb/wink.gif

have a nice day

yuval raz

Originally posted by Gregory Deych:

I'm on it occasionally - if you see GregD, it's very likely to be me.

P.S When do you have time to play?  Don't you have some barracks to clean, grass to paint green -  things like that?   http://63.99.108.76/ubb/smile.gif

[Edited by Gregory Deych (26 Oct 2002).]

naa, i passed basic training long ago... right now i'm in the "vatika" (vetrens), just waiting to go out to action, but otherwise doing nothing. http://63.99.108.76/ubb/biggrin.gif

Originally posted by yuval:

they are miising all the fun of basic training (as one who did basic training fro real 3 times...). they don't make you hate your sargent, they don't let you running around with a broomstick when you do something wrong. they didn't get to make you think "why the hell did i join the army?!". that's lame  

I think the purpose of the game was to try and get people to want to join the army

Or at least make them more aware of SOP's and the likes.

Wonder if it payed off?

BTW, is there any word on the army aviation pack?

Though odds on it would be a relatively dumbed down affair...

AA under attack from the layer.... BS!

http://xpd8.net/gamenews/gamenews.cfm?news_number=1295

"I'm a father of a 10-year-old boy," Thompson told ABC News last week. "And every day I drop him off at school, I know that he's at greater risk because some of his classmates, as well as others in the general population, train obsessively in these shooter games."

[Edited by Tomi Sarvanko (06 Nov 2002).]

The Army gets points for how they are countering this "criticism." Unlike in other shooter games, your actions in America's Army have consequences. If people weren't playing AA, odds are, they'd be playing Counterstrike, where the team 'defending' the hostages usually knifes them for kicks, and killing teammates is practically a tradition.

This lawyer is using his clients' emotional anguish to take advantage of them. He's no better than the pump & dump stock swindle types, a white-collar criminal.

Originally posted by Tomi Sarvanko:

AA under attack from the layer.... BS!

http://xpd8.net/gamenews/gamenews.cfm?news_number=1295

"I'm a father of a 10-year-old boy," Thompson told ABC News last week. "And every day I drop him off at school, I know that he's at greater risk because some of his classmates, as well as others in the general population, train obsessively in these shooter games."

[Edited by Tomi Sarvanko (06 Nov 2002).]

most interesring is that after all the training they gey in the game, most players i've encountered in the game still can't hit the side of a barn http://63.99.108.76/ubb/wink.gif

Now all they need to do is design a gun that you control with the mouse and ketboard

I qualified for expert marksman (36/40) but haven't played it since then cos I forgot my password and changed e-mail addy's since, no way i'm oging through that torture again!

Originally posted by yuval:

most interesring is that after all the training they gey in the game, most players i've encountered in the game still can't hit the side of a barn  

LOL, that would include me. Just downloaded it last week and got expert marksman, but in the game I can't hit a guy 5 feet in front of me. The only few kills I've made are with granades and the few times I have time to lie down and use the iron sights.