Movies

Tommy Bennett

3 hours ago, Yama said:

(Buzz) Lightyear (went to see subtitled version) was just bit of tame and boring, particularly the early part. It got bit more fun when the main plot got going, but still you felt you were always expecting 'when the REAL Pixar fun is going to start?' and it never did.  This was supposed to be a movie which Andy would have seen, got excited about and wanted a Buzz action figure, but would this movie really become a phenomenon which sells tons of action figures? I'd say no.

Also, the movie felt funnily disconnected from modern sensibilities in some ways, as the humans exploited the planet they arrived with strip mining etc. and treated native fauna as vermin to be exterminated. Felt very old-fashioned set-up, but maybe that would have been given in 1995 when this supposedly came out?? Or maybe Space Rangers actually evolved into Space Marines? 

Feels like Pixar is in bit of a slump, like Disney studios post-Renaissance. None of their recent movies have felt 'grand' in good old Pixar way, they have been just kinda cute & fun.

I read that plot and I wonder who exactly is that movie for?  Too complicated for a kids movie,  and it's a cartoon.

• Replies 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a shame because with the exception of the rare misfire Pixar was once a reliable source of excellent films.  That said, I think Coco was the last one that really nailed it as we'd come to expect.

7 hours ago, sunday said:

Non-woke Pixar talent, i.e. most of them, left the company and went to others:

Yes Lasseter went to Skydance, don't know if there was a larger exodus? That movie seems very Lasseter, though have to say that his formula starts to feel bit overdone at this point too.

It's unfortunate as whatever faults the dude had, he had undoubtedly a vision how to make animations great, and knew how to inspire others. He dragged Disney's own studio from the mud, too, even though he was in position to kill it.

4 hours ago, Stargrunt6 said:

I read that plot and I wonder who exactly is that movie for?  Too complicated for a kids movie,  and it's a cartoon.

It's that, but worse, it feels uninspired. Kids can love complicated stories if they provide them strong, simple emotions and imagery (Star Wars....) but Lightyear is just kinda cute and kinda fun, it's not going to make anyone cry and the plot is too convoluted for kids to follow and takes too long to bring out the villain. And it's not really even that pretty - it's technically awesome of course, but the visuals are pretty basic. And Buzz character himself is...just bit of a letdown. He's not grand enough, really.

41 minutes ago, Yama said:

Yes Lasseter went to Skydance, don't know if there was a larger exodus? That movie seems very Lasseter, though have to say that his formula starts to feel bit overdone at this point too.

It's unfortunate as whatever faults the dude had, he had undoubtedly a vision how to make animations great, and knew how to inspire others. He dragged Disney's own studio from the mud, too, even though he was in position to kill it.

This man has some thoughts on the matter.

https://arkhavencomics.com/2022/03/01/more-bad-news-for-pixar/

https://arkhavencomics.com/2022/06/21/fall-of-disney-animation-part-3-of-2/

Saw the latest Thor movie. It had a few laughs, the fight scenes are pretty well done and mercifully short. Don't know how it will go over with the lore nerds but I liked it.

Edited by Harold Jones

Saw 'Elvis' last week, all 2 hours and 40 minutes of it.  First half was 4.5 stars, 2nd half 1.5 stars, somewhat like Elvis' career itself.  Austin Butler was great, he will be in the next Dune (playing Sting's old character), didn't realize he was Tex Watson in 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood'.   Tom Hanks is disturbing, he narrates the movie and has a bizarre supposedly Dutch accent (I went to school with immigrants from Holland in the 60s and 70s, none of them sounded like that), I cringed whenever he spoke.  In one scene, the Colonel is negotiating a contract with a Vegas hotel owner - fortunately they were writing the numbers on a napkin since I couldn't understand a word Hanks was saying.  Luhrman throws everything - cartoons, dream sequences, flashbacks, flashing up the names of the 'Memphis Mafia' as they appeared (they each get a second or two of screen time so who really cared what their names were?) but everyone knows the story already so it was just distracting.  A lot of time was spent on pointless plot lines (what song was going to be sung at the end of a Christmas special, why Elvis never toured overseas, was his dad a crook or just not bright).    Definitely worth seeing for Austin Butler, but you can probably skip the last hour.

On 6/9/2022 at 2:43 AM, sunday said:

watermelon.org by other name.

Careful. Someone on staff thinks that's racist. They might give you time out for that. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/18/2022 at 9:33 AM, Skywalkre said:

Full agreement across the board.  It was so... close... to being great.  Snyder just can't tear himself away from the destruction pr0n that ruins all his DC films.

The soundtrack is amazing (use it in my DnD campaigns).  Flight is one of the best tracks ever.  Like NickM I got a little emotional when I was in the theater and he first took off.

/sigh...

What could have been...

Yeah MoS did get me in the feels; so what if it didn't make me laugh like the decade's worth MCU/Avengers one liners and well crafted action sequences; I don't think I ever rewatched anything from the Avengers on Y/T of late, except maybe when Thanos punched the Brie Larsen character in kisser in 'End Game'.

14 hours ago, NickM said:

Yeah MoS did get me in the feels; so what if it didn't make me laugh like the decade's worth MCU/Avengers one liners and well crafted action sequences; I don't think I ever rewatched anything from the Avengers on Y/T of late, except maybe when Thanos punched the Brie Larsen character in kisser in 'End Game'.

DC has gravitas.

MCU has.... sitcom material.

There is an unlimited amount of excellent movie material in The Bible. The Ten Commandments, Ben-Hur,and The Greatest Story Ever Told are excellent movies. I would however have no idea who would be the actresses and actors today. I don't believe there is the ability nor morals of today's actresses and actors to adequately play the parts. 

Bible.... Ben Hur??  Book chapter and verse please......   and no you won't find Spartacus there either....

I am Spartacus!

No, I am Spartacus

I am Spartacus, and so is my wife

But I am Brian!

No, I am Brian!

5 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

I wish someone would seriously revisit Judge Dredd, or at the very least, Rogue Trooper. There are so many excellent graphic novels that never get a look in.

This right here needs to be a miniseries.  

This is my favorite comic of all time, I have all 60 issues of it. I'd love for a movie to be made of it but it's too extreme for the main movie produces to make...

https://www.dc.com/graphic-novels/transmetropolitan-1997/transmetropolitan-book-one

Edited by TrustMe

12 hours ago, DougRichards said:

Bible.... Ben Hur??  Book chapter and verse please......   and no you won't find Spartacus there either....

I am Spartacus!

No, I am Spartacus

I am Spartacus, and so is my wife

But I am Brian!

No, I am Brian!

The name Ben Hur is mentioned in First Kings 4:7-8. "Solomon had twelve district governors over all Israel, who supplied provisions for the king and the royal household. 
Each one had to provide supplies for one month in the year.  These are their names: Ben-Hur—in the hill country of Ephraim..."

The movie takes place during the time of Jesus as he is noticed at least twice involving Judah Ben-Hur. Valerius Gratus was a Roman Prefect of the Judaea province and is played in the movie by an actor I can't remember. 

Ben Hur was the movie adaptation of the famous book" Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ" by Hoosier(a native of the great state of Indiana) Lew Wallace.

Aside from the incorrect scale of the megacity Blocks, Urban's Dredd was excellent.

Every clip of the movie has people demanding a sequel, but I doubt that it could be done without diluting the quality of the one.

3 hours ago, Stefan Fredriksson said:

I hope not. Karl Urban's Dredd(film) was close to optimal. I have not read the comics though.

A friend of mind is a real Dredd fan (to the point of making an entire cosplay uniform) and he agrees, it was optimal. Id only want another one if they can call Urban back, they couldnt do better.

There was talk of a TV series with Urban participating, but seems like thats gone cold. A great pity.

Really? I must look for that.

The interesting thing about the film, Lena Heady played a character called Ma Ma. Well the mother of the Angel Gang, who died at some unspecified time before their story began, was called Ma Angel...

Might have been a complete coincidence of course, but think they might have been creating the premise for a second film.