tanknet.org

:o

My wife want to see it with me, (She's seen a total of 3 Marvel Movies--all since we met), and we haven't had time yet. On top of it, I hate full theatres because people are terrible, so I want to see it with a quieter crowd. I went see Detective Pikachu only because she was out of town on a field trip. We'll probably see it Friday night/Sunday morning, but it's still up in the air. I've been spoiled already so I'm willing to wait to see it, but I would like to see it in theatres first.

My wife and I probably would have seen it sooner but I was away for a week for work and then we had to figure out when we could fit in a 3 hour block of time for the movie. Thankfully our usual theater is 100% reserved seating so we can buy tickets online the day before and walk in about 15 or 20 minutes after the listed start time, skip most of the trailers and still have good seats.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I finally saw it last thursday. The theater's online ticketing system wouldn't work, so I had to buy at the theater. Showed up 2 minutes after listed start time, bought tickets then a drink, got to my seat about 15 minutes after start time, and still had 2-3 previews then adds to watch. I always plan on shows starting 20 minutes late so I have some leeway for my habitual tardiness. It was a matinee so there were < dozen people in the theater.

The local theatre said the crowds have really thinned out for it, which is good as well.

I was a modest follower of the comics (I was an Iron Man fan as a kid), so I kinda know how this all works out, but I like how Marvel Studios takes the comic book story and adds just enough to it to make it something new.

...I still haven't been able to see it yet. :unsure:

Since I have a life, I'll wait for it to come out on Neflix. "Kingdom Men Rising" I'll by on DVD.

I have a life too, but it hasn't worked out for me to see it yet, so I'm not sure why you're being dismissive of the movie--especially considering the fact you immediately offer the alternative of... a Christian movie? As a genre those are just the worst: all of the cheesy acting of a Hallmark romance movie, with none of the self-aware silliness. I actively cringe at the thought of being drug to those growing up in Church, and as an adult sigh at the prospect of having to explain that I like movies with decent production values, and that if I wanted a sermon... I'd just listen to the podcasts sitting on my phone.

Fair question, so here are the fair answers. I have a regular 9-5 job, plus a successful small business, and spend about 1.5 hours exercising M-F so time is limited on the weekdays. Saturday is small business day and Sunday is Church and rest. I also have about 16 acres of land I'm slowly (very slowly :( ) landscaping. Also ditto for Beans4 post above.

90% of what I know of this Avengers movie is from this Grate Site's post, so I know it 100% accurate ;) The bad guy removes about 1/2 of the earth's population. In Kingdom Men Rising, this has already been done via the absence of men, not just fathers, in the mainly black community. This gritty documentary is mostly spoken by black men speaking about the disgrace of males not being men. The Avengers movie has a bunch of good guys banding together to beat the bad guy. Kingdom Men Rising has truthful heros coming together as men believing in Jesus Christ to become better fathers and mentors as a way of life for the rest of their lives, not as a 3-4 hour movie.

This Avengers movie will play for at least a month, Kingdom Men Rising was only scheduled for two days at my local theater. The response was so much, that another day was added. The day I went, it was mostly young, black men in the audience. The lack of men in our society, the ideas and virtues of being a man is being destroyed by the horror of liberalism. Kingdom Men Rising is a proper rebuttal to this.

I have no problem with a temporary escape into fiction, but non-fiction is more honest and, more challenging and fun.

:o

My wife want to see it with me, (She's seen a total of 3 Marvel Movies--all since we met), and we haven't had time yet. On top of it, I hate full theatres because people are terrible, so I want to see it with a quieter crowd. I went see Detective Pikachu only because she was out of town on a field trip. We'll probably see it Friday night/Sunday morning, but it's still up in the air. I've been spoiled already so I'm willing to wait to see it, but I would like to see it in theatres first.

I guess I'm lucky to live where I do (in a lot of ways). I've read accounts of folks who went to Avengers the first weekend and the audience was constantly vocal. NE Phoenix has rather subdued crowds so the worst that happened during Endgame was someone making a loud, snarky comment during a certain scene (you'll know it when it happens :lol:). Everyone was thinking the same thing so we all laughed at it and then went back to taking in the movie. Still, I usually wait a few weeks and see a matinee because, as others have said, I hate sitting in the front (my friend I go with is chronically late).

Have fun when you get around to it!

Anyone seen John Wick III? I heard there's a John Wick 4. Been terribly busy with work* lately and so couldn't catch a break to watch Wick 3. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe on Saturday. Maybe never at the theatre :lol:

* - it's now 0100 hours, Thursday, and I'm still at the office typing this....

Anyone seen John Wick III? I heard there's a John Wick 4. Been terribly busy with work* lately and so couldn't catch a break to watch Wick 3. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe on Saturday. Maybe never at the theatre :lol:

Saw it on Tuesday, if you like over-the-top non-stop violence with no concern for realism, reloading, superhuman healing abilities, crowds of New Yorkers simply walking past furious gun battles, etc. you will like it. Mark Ducascos is great, I have been a fan since 'Brotherhood of the Wolf' - he has some very funny scenes and also a little nod to his Iron Chef days.

Saw it on Tuesday, if you like over-the-top non-stop violence with no concern for realism, reloading, superhuman healing abilities, crowds of New Yorkers simply walking past furious gun battles, etc. you will like it. Mark Ducascos is great, I have been a fan since 'Brotherhood of the Wolf' - he has some very funny scenes and also a little nod to his Iron Chef days.

That's disappointing to hear (the bolded bit in particular was a major turnoff from the second film). I loved the first film because it set up this world that seemed to exist within our own. While it was still over the top it had a tint of realism to it. The second film threw that out the window. Sounds like the third takes it even further (I saw a spoiler with the kill count from 3 and it's even larger than 2 which was almost double the count from the first film).

Now it turns out that this isn't the final film. I was positive this was a trilogy and this film was wrapping it up. There's now talk that they're making a 4th and will apparently keep making these as long as they make money.

Oh well. Still appreciative we got the first film.

My understanding is the below is a complete reboot of the franchise. Everything since T2 has been thrown out and they're starting over with the below. It certainly looks better... but at the same time who the hell is the girl and why is she important? Are they pulling the TFA treatment and just copying T2 (with a different young kid is now 'the savior' that has to be protected)?

I'm skeptical but will still keep an eye on development of this one. T2 is one of the best films ever. I would absolutely love it if they came close to carrying on in that universe at a level close to that film.

I don't see how that would fit to end of T2 where T-800 (Arnold one) was deliberately destroyed. Seems it COULD fit to end of Genisys somehow, but hope not, coz that sucked. Any way, the teaser tells us little except fan service.

I am also real tired of them doing ever new variations of the T-1000, the amorphous Terminator. Yawn. Come up with something new, willya?

Apparently Cameron is in there as a producer, but no idea if he is actually doing anything other than cashing a big wad of $$$ by letting them stamp his name on the poster. I would be actually much more excited if they had Cameron the Terminator in the movie...

I don't see how that would fit to end of T2 where T-800 (Arnold one) was deliberately destroyed. Seems it COULD fit to end of Genisys somehow, but hope not, coz that sucked. Any way, the teaser tells us little except fan service.

I am also real tired of them doing ever new variations of the T-1000, the amorphous Terminator. Yawn. Come up with something new, willya?

Apparently Cameron is in there as a producer, but no idea if he is actually doing anything other than cashing a big wad of $$$ by letting them stamp his name on the poster. I would be actually much more excited if they had Cameron the Terminator in the movie...

Cameron the terminator? You mean The Summer Glau character?

Ars Technica has a decent review of the Terminator trailer, I'll give the franchise one more chance and probably see it opening weekend.

As for the other movies, Terminator Salvation, best I can say is it was forgettable. A decade later and I can't even remember the plot, all I do remember was it wasn't very good.

T3 I didn't think was bad, I actually kind of liked it and will watch it whenever it comes on.

Terminator : Genisys I have very mixed feelings about. I liked Arnold in it as well as Khaleesi, and it had it's moments. But the whole plot twist of Dr Who taking the Tardis back and converting John Conner into a Terminator was was just idiocy.

Edited by GregShaw

Ars Technica has a decent review of the Terminator trailer, I'll give the franchise one more chance and probably see it opening weekend.

As for the other movies, Terminator Salvation, best I can say is it was forgettable. A decade later and I can't even remember the plot, all I do remember was it wasn't very good.

T3 I didn't think was bad, I actually kind of liked it and will watch it whenever it comes on.

Terminator : Genisys I have very mixed feelings about. I liked Arnold in it as well as Khaleesi, and it had it's moments. But the whole plot twist of Dr Who taking the Tardis back and converting John Conner into a Terminator was was just idiocy.

Yeah, also they spoiled the big twist in the trailers. I thought the ending and plot twists were weak sauce.

T3 was ok as an inoffensive action movie with decent ending, but it was also the point where franchise began to gets it kicks from 'cute' fan service callbacks to first two movies, rather than coming up good stuff of its own (see also: Star Wars). Also, T-X was lame.

Yep, the series was decent (not great, but decent) with quite good casting and much better intrigue than any of the movies after T2. You just had to turn your brain off and not try to explain all the time travelling, with seemingly armies of Terminators and Resistance fighters sent back in time.

Cameron_222.4.jpg

This is doing the rounds in movie theatres in the US at the moment. Basically its the footage William Wyler took for what became 'The Memphis Belle' has been remastered. Its got a new soundtrack with authentic WW2 aircraft sounds, and is narrated by several B17 veterans. Apparently its made by HBO, so like as not it will get a showing on TV at some point.

https://vimeo.com/266305566

Edited by Stuart Galbraith

Yeah, also they spoiled the big twist in the trailers. I thought the ending and plot twists were weak sauce.

T3 was ok as an inoffensive action movie with decent ending, but it was also the point where franchise began to gets it kicks from 'cute' fan service callbacks to first two movies, rather than coming up good stuff of its own (see also: Star Wars). Also, T-X was lame.

Yep, the series was decent (not great, but decent) with quite good casting and much better intrigue than any of the movies after T2. You just had to turn your brain off and not try to explain all the time travelling, with seemingly armies of Terminators and Resistance fighters sent back in time.

Cameron_222.4.jpg

\

GOOD! I TOO enjoyed the series for the time it was on. I also think it was a better 'sequel' to T2 than any of the other idiot movies--the actual delving into deserters from the fighting (from BOTH sides) and the concept of the human collaborators' was an interesting touch.

Edited by NickM
GOOD! I TOO enjoyed the series for the time it was on. I also think it was a better 'sequel' to T2 than any of the other idiot movies--the actual delving into deserters from the fighting (from BOTH sides) and the concept of the human collaborators' was an interesting touch.

Certainly. I liked it as well. A bit cutr shortbecause of the writer strike so it got only one and a half seasons, so it falls into the same category as Firefly I guess. Big possibilities never realised because of cancellation and this fuels the imagination of fans to this day. Okay the Firefly fandom is stronger.

Instead we get a warmed over sixth Derminador movie.

Finally saw Endgame.

It really does feel like a bow on the end of the MCU as we know it. I only knew about the two people who died, but still wasn't prepared for the big one I knew about at the end.

The whole "Girl Power" scene was so cringy and forced. Leave to Nando v Movies to give the scene some real impact with a tiny tweak (As per his usual) that would remove the cringe and give it some narrative weight.

Edited by FlyingCanOpener

It really does feel like a bow on the end of the MCU as we know it.

I think the MCU as we know it really has finished.

My big concern has been how they'll handle the snapback. That would be just as shattering to societies everywhere as the original snap was. Multiple interviews I've read now have basically said that they're treating the snapback as a minor issue, if that. Just instantly kills any desire to watch further movies.

There's also the concerns about future movies really pushing the PC/social justice aspect ahead of just having a good story (and good stories would give the snapback appropriate attention and weight).

I'm not really bummed or anything. These last 20+ movies have been great. I'm looking at them like I look at the OT of Star Wars - I'm glad I have them (and with these glad I could be here to experience them in theater).